DAC for under $300

Tia

Did you say birds?
Looking for recommendations on a DAC. Will need digital inputs. RCA out and a remote. New or used. For reference, I like the Music Fidelity VDAC II and Emotiva SDA-2. I was able to sample both of these thanks to AK member drugolf. I stream Spotify from my laptop 90% of the time and CD's for the other 10%. The DAC will be used with my MC2105/C28/AR9LSi set up. Music taste include Dianna Krall, Buckethead, Bozzio.

For the record, I'm not very techie so please, try to keep it simple :)

Thanks for the help!
Cheers!
Bob

A remote? I'd like a bit more info. Remote to change inputs?
If you don't have to have a remote control, read the 25 plus page thread on the Maverick Audio DAC.
I'm sold on it not only from style, and performance, but bang for the buck. Under your 300. price tag.

Get a digital pre-amp/headphone amp/DAC like the Emotiva XDA-1 or XDA-2. They are well priced and available as used units on CL, eBay or from private sellers here on AK and are well within your budget.

They featured a very robust remote as well so make sure you get that as well if you purchase a used unit. Emotiva's current digital pre-amp/headphone amp/DAC is the DC-1. Similarly featured, it also has a built in USB re-clocker which is of some benefit in reducing jitter in your digital signal. It is a bit above your budget but it also might be available used.

There are others, of course. I use a McIntosh D100 but since I have other analog sources to deal with, it does not act as a pre-amp in my system.

Good luck with your search.

Reactions: Tia
Just an FYI because you said you're using Spotify from your laptop. To put it simple Spotify app on Windows is unable to send audio to the DAC in the most straightforward fashion causing some degradation to it. You will likely get better results with a Chromecaset Audio gizmo by connecting it to the XDA-2 via a optical Toslink cable, also enable the ASRC on the Emotiva to reject jitter. You will need to use a mobile device to initially start streaming Spotify to the Chromecast as the latter cannot be discovered on Windows, once streaming begins it will show up as a device in the Spotify app on laptop and you can control it from there.

Reactions: Tia
Back
Top Bottom