DAC recommedations

highend64

Hi, Im in the process in getting a DAC for my system. The two I found(I know there are others) that I am interested in are the Cambridge Audio DAC Magic and the Peachtree Audio DAC it. I would be using this for my computer audio as well as my CD player. If you have any other recommendations. let me know. I want to keep it under $300 if possible. Thanks

I'm currently using a non playing Denon DVD 5000.

The dvd doesn't work but it has a separate dac built in you can use.

Picked it up fairly cheap.

Where do people find a cheap dvd-5000? I've been on lookout for one, not quite ready to pay eBay prices. It doesn't have USB which may call for a USB to Spdif converter.

I can heartily recommend the Beresford Caiman SEG Dac. I've had their previous DACs and started auditioning others including NAD and Rega DACs. Not just for the price, but to my ears the Beresford was much more listenable. I use the DAC for computer audio and the flatscreen for sound. It has 2 opticals, USB and coaxial inputs. Due to the Pound being favorable to the $ it is around $260.00 delivered.

No offense, but what type of support would be needed with a product like this? It's extremely straightforward to operate, manual is posted online. I can see warranty support, but I'm sure they'd still provide that as long as they're in business.

I can heartily recommend the Beresford Caiman SEG Dac. I've had their previous DACs and started auditioning others including NAD and Rega DACs. Not just for the price, but to my ears the Beresford was much more listenable. I use the DAC for computer audio and the flatscreen for sound. It has 2 opticals, USB and coaxial inputs. Due to the Pound being favorable to the $ it is around $260.00 delivered.
Thanks. Ill keep in mind.

I'd like to stress that you can find some pretty great DACs used if you look hard enough. Craigslist and Audiogon have been my friend. My first DAC purchase was cambridge audio DAC magic that I still use in one of my system. I picked it up for like $180. Some other high value options:

Schiit Modi 2 multibit - ($249 new)
Schiit Bifrost - ($399 new)
Musical Fidelity V90 - ($299 new)

New feature upgrades as in for free? Why would they do it if the product works as advertised? They want you to buy a new DAC not keep your old one going forever. After all one buys certain set of features and cannot expect them to be extended over time, unless this is something that was implied or promised at the time of purchase.

There is the Topping D30 that I haven't yet heard, but many here like. There are a couple of threads about them here. The forthcoming Topping D50 (with ESS SABRE DAC chips) is supposed to be in the $249 price range, also within the budget.

I have that one, but it is limited to 24-bit/96kHz since it is several years old. For $160 it's not a bad deal though, especially if someone is using it mainly to play CDs. It likely will outperform the DAC section of some of the players out there. It has selectable filter/phase adjustments on the front, and three source inputs (one of them USB).

I got a Wadia 121 for about $400 some months ago and love it. A full digital preamp function as well and balanced outputs.

I kind of stumbled across my current DAC. I picked it up used a few months ago at a very reasonable cost. I am currently using a vintage Aragon D2A MkII DAC connected to my CD player via TOSLINK. It also connects to my computer (for FLAC file playback) via a Schiit Eitr (USB to SPDIF converter/filter). I have tried many different DACs, but this combination does it for me. It doesn't do DSD, but then again I don't need it. The Aragon D2A is based on the Burr Brown PCM58 DAC. Power supply is in a separate housing. The analog section is all discrete (no op amps).

Back
Top Bottom