DAC recommedations

There are several articles on the web alluding to the issues with the USB implementation on the Simaudio Moon D 100 DAC. The SPDIF input is the recommended input. It has been suggested already that you need a USB to SPDIF converter. That or sell it and get something with a better USB implementation.

There are several articles on the web alluding to the issues with the USB implementation on the Simaudio Moon D 100 DAC. The SPDIF input is the recommended input. It has been suggested already that you need a USB to SPDIF converter. That or sell it and get something with a better USB implementation.
As I mention earlier, I tried a old desktop with XP and works perfectly fine. That come to closer conclusion that the culprit could be my laptop performance or I/O.

So you're going to buy a new PC so that you can maybe use it with this well aged Dac? That's just how bad USB Dac inputs are, they may work on some computers and not on others. Your laptop is fine.

Probably but still believe it's a computer issue(driver, processor,etc). If I go with a different DAC, will the problem presist? Probably or not. If you say they may work on other computers then that is great. I just want to pinpoint the cause of it.

This DAC has been around since 2010 or even earlier. The USB input only accepts 16bits/48kHz format. This tells us it is using some odd or older USB solution, as USB DACs from 2010 and newer typically supported at least 24bits/96kHz if they used a proven USB receiver chip like Tenor or XMOS. There have been major strides in USB audio tech since those days.

More details. Looks like they use a PCM2705 chip on the USB input which is actually a DAC by itself but can also convert USB to SPDIF. This is probably better than I thought but still less than ideal.

06.jpg

Last edited:
This DAC has been around since 2010 or even earlier. The USB input only accepts 16bits/48kHz format. This tells us it is using some odd or older USB solution, as USB DACs from 2010 and newer typically supported at least 24bits/96kHz if they used a proven USB receiver chip like Tenor or XMOS. There have been major strides in USB audio tech since those days.

More details. Looks like they use a PCM2705 chip on the USB input which is actually a DAC by itself but can also convert USB to SPDIF. This is probably better than I thought but still less than ideal.

06.jpg
Nice internal pic. Yes it has an separate DAC PCM 2705 on the USB. If I get a USB to SPDIF converter, which one would you recommend? I can get a Musical Fidelity V-Link. for cheap. Now my question is, and maybe this could have different opinions if I were to upsample to 24/96k would there be a audible difference if the music I have is only master at 16/44.1K?

Nice internal pic. Yes it has an separate DAC PCM 2705 on the USB. If I get a USB to SPDIF converter, which one would you recommend? I can get a Musical Fidelity V-Link. for cheap. Now my question is, and maybe this could have different opinions if I were to upsample to 24/96k would there be a audible difference if the music I have is only master at 16/44.1K?

I would probably still try to follow that thread I linked and see if there may be a device conflict or such that leads to clicking. PCM 2705 is ancient but legit, and should work. Before you get a USB to SPDIF see if maybe your laptop has an optical output, some use a combo 3.5mm/optical output. There were several V-Link iterations, is this the original: https://www.stereophile.com/content/musical-fidelity-v-link-usb-spdif-converter-0 ? It should be better than the PCM2705, however I'd recommend a converter that has built-in galvanic isolation. Singxer F-1, Schiit Eitr, Gustard U12 should be safe mid-priced choices and isolate the SPDIF outputs from the noisy computer USB bus. Or maybe you can find a used Peachtree X1. Upsampling is generally best left to be done inside the DAC unless you can upsample to a high-enough frequency so that the internal digital filters are bypassed, in which case you can use a quality software upsampler and maybe improve the sonics. 96kHz isn't enough, even 192kHz isn't enough as it will still get further upsampled to 384kHz or higher inside the DAC. Windows resampler sucks, don't let Windows resample. Also you should really look into using WASAPI and/or ASIO instead of the default Windows sound device.

Last edited:
My laptop does not have any optical output. I only have the headphone out. I can try and get a Bel Canto USB link which has the galvanic isolation. The only thing is has a BNC connector but I can get a BNC to RCA connector no problem. I would think when connected to USB for audio that the signal would bypass the motherboard I/O but dont know at this point.

USB ports are noisy, you want to keep all that electrical noise away from your DAC. You could use optical out of v-link into your DAC, that's one way to solve this issue. Coax SPDIF is thought to be better than optical however, and you need to isolate it, the simplest solution that's used inside converters is an impulse transformer on the coax output.

Last edited:
Another thought. Interesting that the SRC4392 async converter chip is used and its implementation spec recommends a transformer-coupled input but seems SimAudio folks decided to save a couple of pennies and skip it. Unless that black component on the upper left is actually a transformer on the Coax SPDIF input, but it seems it is just a choke in the power supply regulator. Maybe you can check the traces, if it is indeed a coupling SPDIF transformer you can get by without a galvanically isolated USB/SPDIF converter, as the isolation is built into the DAC.

Edit: looked it up, DR127 is just an inductor so no transformer...

Last edited:
I have been using the Sim Audio Moon 100D for a week now and so far for the past two days I have not had any noise problems.:) I dont it was an update audio driver or USB driver. I am actually enjoying how this DAC sound in my system.

Turn out to be too many issue with my old laptop so I went and bought a new computer and problem solved. Now I am enjoying to sound of the DAC. The sound of the DAC made the bass more tighter and fuller.

Back
Top Bottom