DacMagic 1st report

ferninando

Lunatic Member
After doing some prelim prep work making up some new monster thx 600 14ga speaker wires with Nakamichi banana plugs for my new Infinity Primus 362 speakers I finaly got around to installing my new DacMagic. Had to get the optic cable plugged into the correct gozinta hole before anything came out but once I got that figured out sound began coming out. So how was it?

1st impression in 3 words: subtle, clear, detailed. I had expected abit more pronounced affect but realize a short period is needed for 'break-in'. that being said and listening to several CDs(downloads from web but great sound) and also storebought CDs, I distinctly notice a clarity in the upper registers not noticed before, bells, drumstiks on drum edge ticks, better female trio voice separation. Things like that. Very good so far. I think the mid-lo end has been improved as well, deeper, fuller. I Can follow the base lines easily down as far as they go in the recording. This I'm sure is in no small part due to the speakers and wires but the DM added something and I like it. So much so am strongly considering another DM for my 2nd system.
I notice the signal coming out of the cd is 44khz. Does the DM upsample that to one of the higher freqs?

So the ads were true and the AK reports were true. The DacMagic does improve CD sound quality albeit not by huge amounts but what it does do is make listining to my stereo more enjoyable and that's all that matters to me. I recommend this gadgit.

Yes the the Dacmagic automatically upsamples everything to 192khz regardless of input sample rate. It is 16/44.1 maximum over USB but will support up to 24/96 khz input via Toslink or SPDIF. I don't use USB, but a recent Stereophile update showed that jitter is very high over USB and recommended it only for "utility listening" or some words to that affect. Congrats on the purchase. I agree with your 3 words. I also added a good quality glass optical cable and noticed an improvement in bass definition over my cheapo plastic cable.

thanks for that rocketman. I'm using optical cable but don't know if it's glass or plastic. Thought all opt. was glass. At any rate it, the DM, sure brings out what was previously buried in the CD playback, and it isn't even been broken in yet.

So the ads were true and the AK reports were true. The DacMagic does improve CD sound quality albeit not by huge amounts but what it does do is make listining to my stereo more enjoyable and that's all that matters to me. I recommend this gadgit.
I'm glad you are enjoying it. Don't forget to update the other thread.

Glad you like it, for me going from my computer on board DAC to the DAC Magic was a HUGE step up in sound, literally night and day.

One thing I keep noticing in particular about it is the articulate tight bass, which I love. Mids, especially vocals, are right on. Imaging, sound stage, depth, PRAT, etc. are all very good/excellent. The only slight complaint I have is the highs are a little flat or undetailed and a little bright. But overall this DAC is very nice and very enjoyable! I'm not looking to "upgrade" anytime soon!

Just visited Audio advisor and see that Dacmagic price has gone up $50 to 449 vs 399 previously but retail has also gone up from Cambridge. Thought Id pass on this info for anyone considering one. FYI

I HATE it when companies do that, it's just a blatant screwing of the consumer because they know that their product is in such demand and with such good reviews that they can get away with it. My Usher S-520 monitors, to mention another example of this scheme, I got for $330 shipped, now they are $480 plus shipping! A $150 price hike for the same damn product. Lovely. :no:

I knew this would happen with the DAC Magic, and I'm glad I got mine before the increase for $400 shipped. I think that it might even have been $350 shipped at some places back in the Fall...not sure.

Oh well, as it is a great DAC and as it should last years and years (and have a high resale value if one feels the need to "upgrade"), it's not so bad. Still...:nono:

Back
Top Bottom