DacMagic not processing 16/48kHz?

mikemontri

I have been using my DM for the last four months feeding it with signal from my CDP through both Toslink and Coax with no problem. The DM usually shows it receives the 16/44.1 signal. Feeding the DM with a wired USB cable works great and the unit shows 16/44.1 signal.

I recently bought a wireless USB>SPDIF converter. When I feed the signal from my USB>SPDIF unit to the DM, the DM shows that it receives 48kHz signal (the blue dot lights up under 48kHz), however, no sound??? I tried both the Coax and Toslink, no sound. I know that my USB>SPDIF unit outputs a 16/48kHz signal but I wonder why the DM not processing it and not outputting the sound. When I fed the same signal to a different DAC, the other DAC was able to process it with no problem.

I do understand that the DM will only process PCM or LPCM two-channel signal only, no mutichannel signal.

Has anybody ever fed the DM with a 16/48 signal successfully?

Thanks,

mP

In order to rule out your new converter can you set your computer to output 44.1? I have not fed my DM a 48 signal but I know when my AppleTV outputs a 48 signal it's multichannel. Is there a setting on your computer that you can verify it's only sending two channel? I suspect the output of a multichannel signal is the problem somewhere in your setup.

Thanks for the suggestion. I was looking at "Sound" on my computer this morning but have not been able to determine if it was my computer or the USB>SPDIF unit that sent out the 48kHz signal. The manufacture of the wireless USB>SPDIF says that their signal out is PCM at 48kHz.

Below is the note from DM manual.

Note: This unit only accepts two-channel LPCM digital audio (e.g. Dolby Digital 2.0). You cannot
connect a Dolby Digital 5.1 or a DTS signal as they will not be recognised. If you wish to connect a DVD
or similar device, please ensure that the sound output of your player is set to two-channel PCM.

What was starnge was my other NOS DAC which maxed out at 16/44.1 (TD1543) had no problem processing the same signal.

mP

Tested another DacMagic unit (my friend's), same thing. Unit showing 48kHz signal received, no sound.

Anybody ever tried 48kHz?

mP

My money is on your computer sending a multichannel signal. There is no reason to send the DM a 48 signal. If you think your computer can upsample better than the DM then there is no reason to use the DM. Set your computer to output 44.1. I hope my logic makes sense. :D

I have set my PC to Stereo not multi channel but so far no good (office). I tried it at home, same thing. Both computers are running Vista.

Please note that my other NOS DAC is able to process the signal with no problem.

PC>Dugood WDDC>Valab>McIntosh MAC1900 - no problem.
PC>Dugood WDDC>DM> McIntosh MAC1900 - no sound?

Dugood distributor said that it outputs 16/48 PCM?

Very confusing.

mP

Please note that my other NOS DAC is able to process the signal with no problem.

Very confusing.

mP
It is confusing. :confused: Did your NOS accept 5.1? There is either something wrong with your unit or the signal is not compatible with the DM. Do you have another source you can connect to the DM? Like another CD or DVD player that are set to 44.1 to check the functionality of the DM? If you try that and it still doesn't work then the unit is defective. Maybe someone else with more computer knowledge will step in here. I'd also send an email to CA support, the address is in the back of the manual. Good luck.

Tested another DacMagic unit (my friend's), same thing. Unit showing 48kHz signal received, no sound.

Anybody ever tried 48kHz?

mP
BTW, this comment leads me to believe there is something incompatible between your PCM signal and the DM. Unlikely that both units are defective.

I'll fire mine up and check the input from my Denon DVD-2900 and see if it shows 44.1 or 48.

No luck. My Denon is setup for SACD and DVD-A playback and is set to down mix CD to 44.1. Since it's not connected to a monitor I cannot try a different setting. Maybe someone else will have an idea.

Thanks for the suggestion. I was looking at "Sound" on my computer this morning but have not been able to determine if it was my computer or the USB>SPDIF unit that sent out the 48kHz signal. The manufacture of the wireless USB>SPDIF says that their signal out is PCM at 48kHz.

Below is the note from DM manual.

Note: This unit only accepts two-channel LPCM digital audio (e.g. Dolby Digital 2.0). You cannot
connect a Dolby Digital 5.1 or a DTS signal as they will not be recognised. If you wish to connect a DVD
or similar device, please ensure that the sound output of your player is set to two-channel PCM.

What was starnge was my other NOS DAC which maxed out at 16/44.1 (TD1543) had no problem processing the same signal.

mP

Don't know the specifics of why one works and one doesn't but a standalone DAC typically will not output from a DD or DTS source because those signals require decoding prior to the DAC.

My Analog Devices DAC plays 16/48 from my computer just fine, but I know with no doubt it is a PCM signal.

Last edited:
I was told that the signal is PCM out of my wireless USB>SPDIF. This morning I tried another computer with Windows XP instead of Vista. Same thing no sound.

Just want to clarify agian that the DM unit works with my CDP through either COAX or Toslink (44.1 signal). The DM also works fine through the USB wired port, again 44.1 signal.

So far two DMs that I tried won't work with 48kHz from my wireless USB>SPDIF.

I can live with this as I have another DAC that I use at my office (this is for my office system).

At home, I use
PC>Wireless DAC - Dugood DAC-3W>McIntosh MA6600>B&W 804. Also interesting is that when I use

Wireless USB>SPDIF to feed Dugood DAC -3W, Dugood DAC - 3W has not problem processing the signal either.

I do have other source that output 48kHz to test. Cambridge Audio suggested that I send this in to have their authorized repair shop in NY check it out. I talked to the tech, he said he is not familiar with DM and also not familiar with Computer based Audio. Hopeless. At least now I know that two DMs won't work with my USB>SPDIF. Probably incompatibity.

Or perhaps DM does not like 48kHz.

May be I will get another different DAC and test it out.

mP

Back
Top Bottom