DACs with remote control -- or not!

Calypte

Temecula, California
My Emotiva XDA-2 Gen 2 DAC includes a handy remote control, useful for switching inputs from my listening chair. Considering the eventual day that the XDA-2 goes to audio heaven or becomes hopelessly obsolete, I've been looking at other DACs on Audio Advisor and Music Direct, just to keep an eye on the market. It appears to me that very few DACs include a remote control. I understand why the Schiit DACs don't have it, considering their price points. But it appears to me that even DACs costing $thousands don't have remotes. Or are they just not mentioning it?

I have my eyes on the Topping DX3 Pro DAC right now as I'm looking for something with Bluetooth. It has remote.

My Emotiva XDA-2 Gen 2 DAC includes a handy remote control, useful for switching inputs from my listening chair. Considering the eventual day that the XDA-2 goes to audio heaven or becomes hopelessly obsolete, I've been looking at other DACs on Audio Advisor and Music Direct, just to keep an eye on the market. It appears to me that very few DACs include a remote control. I understand why the Schiit DACs don't have it, considering their price points. But it appears to me that even DACs costing $thousands don't have remotes. Or are they just not mentioning it?

The only purpose for remotefor DAC is to switch between different reconstruction filters - different recods sound best with different filters. You do not really need more than 2 inputs: one for disk transport and another for streaming computer or applance. These you do not switch often, and when playing physical disk need to walk to your gear stack anyway.

Most DACs are single function units do not have/need remotes. The Emotiva DAC is also a digital preamp, therefore a remote control is provided to switch inputs and adjust volume. There are several new ones out like the ELAC DDP-2 that have updated features, such as MQA codec decoding and streaming capability - and a remote. However, unless you need a streamer with MQA capability, the XDA-2 is a fine DAC. I own an XDA-2 Gen2 myself as well as Chord Qutest, Schiit Multibit, Project DAC-Box, Behringer, Emotiva BigEgo, and an Aragon D2A2 R-2R ladder DAC. The only one that sounds better than the XDA-2 is the Chord Qutest. Next in line would be the Aragon. YMMV of course.

Cheers

You do not really need more than 2 inputs: one for disk transport and another for streaming computer or applance. These you do not switch often, and when playing physical disk need to walk to your gear stack anyway.

You're only speaking for your own situation. I have the Emotiva DAC connected to a Bryston BDP-pi, TV optical, and Chromecast Audio (optical). "Why is there no music? Oh, I gotta switch inputs on the DAC!" Since I sometimes change sources during the day/evening, I like having the remote.

I had an Emotiva and I've got to say, that remote was truly impressive. But the steps in the volume control were just too fine.

You'll have to explain to me how this is relevant to the thread.

I thank the rest of you for your replies. My takeaway: No, I'm not missing something. Most DACs, even supremely expensive ones, don't come with remotes. I'm lucky. My current Emotiva spoiled me by supplying a remote for switching inputs.

Apologies, the DSPeaker is mainly a room correction preamp with built in DACS. It does have a remote, but re reading your post it is not what you asked for.

My Audio Research DAC8 came with one, but I never use it.

In addition to digital input source (only use one), it has mute and phase invert functions - both of which are also found on my preamp.

I had an Emotiva and I've got to say, that remote was truly impressive. But the steps in the volume control were just too fine.

I haven't used the volume control on the remote for the Emotiva. I know it works, but I just don't use it. If there were a big mismatch between the volume levels of other sources and the DAC, I might be inclined to adjust the DAC's volume control. I like the remote for switching sources.

I have 3 Emotiva XDA-2 DACs on 3 different systems and like the OP, I use the remote to switch sources and also control the volume on 2 of my systems where I am also using it as a preamp. The XDA-2 was quite a bargain compared to other DACs at the time of my purchase. I have listened to several other DACs costing more than 5 times the XDA-2 and still preferred the XDA-2.

Like the OP I started researching other DACs in case one of mine failed. What I have found is the DACs that have a remote are ones that can be used as a preamp also. Three that come to mind that have remotes are Maverick Audio D1 (Chinese built for about $200), Nuprime DAC9 (about $800), and PS Audio Stellar Gain Cell DAC ($1700).

I was just going over my research regarding DACs and see I was wrong about the Maverick Audio D1, it does not have a remote control.

I have 3 Emotiva XDA-2 DACs on 3 different systems and like the OP, I use the remote to switch sources and also control the volume on 2 of my systems where I am also using it as a preamp. The XDA-2 was quite a bargain compared to other DACs at the time of my purchase. I have listened to several other DACs costing more than 5 times the XDA-2 and still preferred the XDA-2.

Like the OP I started researching other DACs in case one of mine failed. What I have found is the DACs that have a remote are ones that can be used as a preamp also. Three that come to mind that have remotes are Maverick Audio D1 (Chinese built for about $200), Nuprime DAC9 (about $800), and PS Audio Stellar Gain Cell DAC ($1700).

The Benchmark DAC3 HGC has a remote. As you say, it's intended to double as a preamp. But it's $2195 (Audio Advisor). From what I'm seeing, it's almost unbelievable that the Emotiva XDA-2 came with a remote, considering its price point.

You'll have to explain to me how this is relevant to the thread.

I thank the rest of you for your replies. My takeaway: No, I'm not missing something. Most DACs, even supremely expensive ones, don't come with remotes. I'm lucky. My current Emotiva spoiled me by supplying a remote for switching inputs.

Have you considered yet another neg aspect of getting a remote? There goes your exercise plan out the window. :D

Q

I use a Topping D30 for the optical out from my TV, and a Schiit Modi3 for the coax out from the CD player. The receiver remote is used to switch between the two. Were I to add streaming, I'd buy another Modi3. (The Topping sounds a little bright in my system (Rotel RX-1052 and ADS l710's) but works good for just TV.)

Gieseler Groß DAC. Has beat out the PS Audio Direct Stream in a few shoot outs. The gap has widened with the new Kraftwerk linear power supply upgrade. Easily the best I've ever heard.

Back
Top Bottom