Damn you HungryMan TV dinner...

Great idea - I was going to buy large ramekins - but muffin tins will definitely work.
Yes they do. I just use Pilsbury Grands, spread them out thin, place them into the muffin tins, fill them with leftover pot roast etc, freeze them in the tin. Once frozen I remove them from the tin, keep them frozen in a large zip-lock bag, then they're ready any time we want them. Just put them back into the tin, tent with foil and bake, super easy lol.

Last edited:
What about those old fashioned huge tamales - with string - and tons of paper wrapping. I remember those as a kid in the 70's.
Corn husk shells under the wrapping paper. Mmmm, good!
We got those from a meat market in my grandparents area back in the late 1950s.

Folks: As time consuming as it can be, and as hard as it is to cook for only yourself, the taste and pleasure of a well cooked home made meal is something to be enjoyed and savored. So set up a play list, turn up the volume and get thee into the kitchen and do yourself one home cooked meal each day. Hell, Roast a chicken, cut it into 4 and freeze 3 of the quarters for future use. Do an omelet, they are not only for breakfast. Get a package of steaks and freeze them individually for use. Then microwave some green veggies, a whole potato as a baked potato and broil or grill pan the steak, or pork chops. You will learn the ropes and get good at it. You may even come to enjoy your own cooking. Life is to short to put prefab junk into your bodies. Eat Food!, real food.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Yes I do cook. I did the seder meal for Passover last Friday for 5 of us, Salmon Ceviche, Boneless leg of lamb, potato kugel, wife did the green veggies, guest brought the salad and I did all the Seder plate foods.

So go learn. Eat better. Let the freezer keep those cardboard dinners. Oh and BTW, how do pork ribs come without bones? Isn't that weird?

Shelly_D

Oh and BTW, how do pork ribs come without bones? Isn't that weird?
Shelly_D
Well pretty much the same as boneless chicken wings: from boneless pigs of course, duh!:D

...hey if you can have seedless watermelon...

Folks: As time consuming as it can be, and as hard as it is to cook for only yourself, the taste and pleasure of a well cooked home made meal is something to be enjoyed and savored. So set up a play list, turn up the volume and get thee into the kitchen and do yourself one home cooked meal each day. Hell, Roast a chicken, cut it into 4 and freeze 3 of the quarters for future use. Do an omelet, they are not only for breakfast. Get a package of steaks and freeze them individually for use. Then microwave some green veggies, a whole potato as a baked potato and broil or grill pan the steak, or pork chops. You will learn the ropes and get good at it. You may even come to enjoy your own cooking. Life is to short to put prefab junk into your bodies. Eat Food!, real food.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Yes I do cook. I did the seder meal for Passover last Friday for 5 of us, Salmon Ceviche, Boneless leg of lamb, potato kugel, wife did the green veggies, guest brought the salad and I did all the Seder plate foods.

So go learn. Eat better. Let the freezer keep those cardboard dinners. Oh and BTW, how do pork ribs come without bones? Isn't that weird?

Shelly_D
I'm the cook in our house, my lady is visually impaired. Cooking is fun, and needn't be difficult. I grill most everything, the stove is for leftovers.

Grilled a ham for Easter, it's pretty much set it and forget it once on the grill. Baked an easy scalloped potatoes, steamed some green beans and put our feed bags on lol.

20180401_181317.jpg 20180401_181818.jpg

bec.jpg

The left over ham is great for pea soup in the crock pot. This is so easy, pea soup mix, baby carrots, peeled tiny gold potatoes, left over ham, and water all in the crock pot. Set the crock pot on low and forget about it for the day, when it's dinner time......Yowzaaaaaaa.

20151228_090744.jpg 20151228_154917.jpg 20151228_181909.jpg

Remember when most of us were kids in the 50,s to 70,s mom cooked home cooked meals every day?I didn't know one kid with a peanut allergy,almost the same for asthma,zero add, zero adhd ,.Now every second or 3rd kid has issues.Heck I only knew one or 2 chubby kids too.

Yep, there was no such thing as a peanut allergy, or they kept it very well hidden.

Back then it was a special occasion for a family to dine out. Now it's almost a special occasion for everyone to sit down to a real home-cooked meal.

There was an article in the NYT several years back about the reasons dry cereal sales are down. One, it's not too healthy and two, young people find it too much trouble to make. Try as I might, I can't convince young people to make their own coffee at my house, even though I keep good coffee and all possible fixings & paraphernalia at hand. They have to get it, well, you know where.

I had an uncle with a severe food allergy, he was 1920s generation.
I just don't think it was that commonly known as now.

I believe the processed food we eat today is the issue PIO.Of all my cousins and all my friends not one had an allergy ,not one kid in my school was going to die from peanuts .That's the one I'm interested in figuring out why .its so prevalent now.If I was sole dictator of north America peas would be banished to pig slop,lol.I will sit there and pick every pea out of anything that I'm fed with those horrible things in it .My dad tried to make me eat peas when I was young ,that didn't work out to well for the dinner table that night and was the last time he ever tried that,lol.Im in love with my slow cooker and to a lesser extent my inverter micro wave.On my gas stove I use a cast iron fry pan and a cast pot all the time .Love em.

The Marie Callender prefabs aren't bad.

Yes, but about the price of a meal served to me at one of the local diners (where everything there is made there). BTW, years ago (decades) I ate at a Marie Callender restaurant in CA, and the food at the restaurant was far worse than what you could get in a box in the freezer section of you local grocery store.

Uh huh! See what happens when you spend all your money on audio gear!

Or guns, cars, motorcycles, etc... Priorities--so what's on the dollar menu this week?

Folks: As time consuming as it can be, and as hard as it is to cook for only yourself, the taste and pleasure of a well cooked home made meal is something to be enjoyed and savored. So set up a play list, turn up the volume and get thee into the kitchen and do yourself one home cooked meal each day.

I cook a full meal pretty much every day--was raised like that--dinner was served at a given time every day, either be there or fend for yourself, but there were always leftovers to scrounge. I cooked professionally for a number of years and learned from some very good chefs (and my grandmother). Although a commercial kitchen can be stressful, I enjoy relaxing cooking at home--throw on some tunes, grab a beverage of choice, and go with it. If I make soups, pasta sauces, chili, whatever, I make large batches--takes no more time to make a couple gallons than a single serving--so there is always stuff in the freezer for "heat and eat" when you don't feel like cooking.

Yep, there was no such thing as a peanut allergy, or they kept it very well hidden.

Back then it was a special occasion for a family to dine out. Now it's almost a special occasion for everyone to sit down to a real home-cooked meal.

There was an article in the NYT several years back about the reasons dry cereal sales are down. One, it's not too healthy and two, young people find it too much trouble to make. Try as I might, I can't convince young people to make their own coffee at my house, even though I keep good coffee and all possible fixings & paraphernalia at hand. They have to get it, well, you know where.

Peanut allergies have been around forever. My daughter has a peanut allergy. It isnt a joke.. You don't keep it hidden.. You have no idea how many food items could have peanuts in them..

Remember when most of us were kids in the 50,s to 70,s mom cooked home cooked meals every day?I didn't know one kid with a peanut allergy,almost the same for asthma,zero add, zero adhd ,.Now every second or 3rd kid has issues.Heck I only knew one or 2 chubby kids too.

Maybe you didn't know anyone with those issues, but they were out there.. Part of the problem is big pharma. There is money to be made with adhd drugs... As for nut allergies, at some point in the 90s pediatricians started to recomend people not introduce nuts until 2 years of age.. Seems to correspond with the apparent increase in the number of people with nut allergies..

I'm the cook in our house, my lady is visually impaired. Cooking is fun, and needn't be difficult. I grill most everything, the stove is for leftovers.

Grilled a ham for Easter, it's pretty much set it and forget it once on the grill. Baked an easy scalloped potatoes, steamed some green beans and put our feed bags on lol.

View attachment 1154363 View attachment 1154364
Looks great, but not exactly right for the Passover Seder :biggrin:

Back
Top Bottom