Damn you HungryMan TV dinner...

Any fans? Anything better TV dinner wise?
I always preferred the turkey dinners. Couple thin slices over stuffing w/gravy, mashed potatoes, peas, and a small section w/cranberry sauce.

Now I keep two Banquet chicken pot pies in the freezer ( two because they've gotten smaller).

Are you talking about Trichinosis?
https://www.medicinenet.com/g00/trichinosis/article.htm?i10c.encReferrer=aHR0cHM6Ly93d3cuZ29vZ2xlLmNvbS8=&i10c.ua=1&i10c.dv=13

I've heard of people getting sick from raw pork, but never dying from it. And after 8 years? Talk about far fetched. Unless there was a lawsuit and it is necessary to pin it on a particular meal.
Here's all I 'know' about the situation.

I signed a condolence card in the break room at work. It was for the man's wife, she works as a lab tech at our emulsifier manufacturing plant. I asked another lab tech how the man passed away. He told me that the guy had been employed in the same position I currently work, that he went to Mexico, ate an under-cooked pork meal, and became ill. He tried to resume working, but the illness progressed until he was home bound. His 12 year old daughter found him unresponsive (about 8 years after the alleged meal).

You may be correct. It may be a scam, or just bad hearsay.

I'm not sure why I even brought the subject up in this context. I'll delete it if it's bugging anybody.

As for nut allergies, at some point in the 90s pediatricians started to recommend people not introduce nuts until 2 years of age..

Current trending "wisdom" (and I use that term loosely) is to introduce peanuts into the diet as early as possible to prevent the development of a peanut allergy. The other important consideration is that a peanut allergy is not actually a nut allergy--peanuts are not nuts--they are legumes, more closely related to peas or beans than actual tree nuts.

Yep, I sometimes do roasted chicken. When it's on sale in the deli for 5.99

Too Funny--our one local grocery store chain runs sales every couple of months that if you buy 10 of the Knorr's pasta/rice sides @ 10 for $10, then you get a free whole rotisserie chicken from the deli--you would be in heaven!!! :rflmao:

Here's all I 'know' about the situation.

I signed a condolence card in the break room at work. It was for the man's wife, she works as a lab tech at our emulsifier manufacturing plant. I asked another lab tech how the man passed away. He told me that the guy had been employed in the same position I currently work, that he went to Mexico, ate an under-cooked pork meal, and became ill. He tried to resume working, but the illness progressed until he was home bound. His 12 year old daughter found him unresponsive (about 8 years after the alleged meal).

You may be correct. It may be a scam, or just bad hearsay.

I'm not sure why I even brought the subject up in this context. I'll delete it if it's bugging anybody.
Sorry about that. I wasn't trying to "root out" stuff. I was just honestly curious.

I hate it when people seem to attack a simple statement on all sorts of technicalities. That is what it appears I did, but I didn't mean it that way. Sorry. :)

Marie Callendar's Roast Turkey with Mashed Taters, Stuffing, and green beans is pretty good. Always one in the freezer for dinner emergency's. The gravy is quite good. Wouldn't want to live on them, but darn good once in a while, in a Big Mac sort of way.

Current trending "wisdom" (and I use that term loosely) is to introduce peanuts into the diet as early as possible to prevent the development of a peanut allergy. The other important consideration is that a peanut allergy is not actually a nut allergy--peanuts are not nuts--they are legumes, more closely related to peas or beans than actual tree nuts.

9 years ago that was not the prevailing wisdom.. I think the new thinking has came from the fact that in India there is a very low instance of peanut allergy. Almost all children eat a peanut based food product starting at a very young age..Yes, peanuts are not tree nuts, but for someone with a peanut allergy, it is difficult to find tree nuts that are not processed with peanuts.. Blue Diamond is the only brand that I've found that labels as peanut free.. The last skin prick allergy test that my daughter did was inconclusive for most tree nuts that were tested for. She tested in the positive range for a couple of them before. Its not worth taking any chances.

Its not worth taking any chances.

100% agree--with the caveat of having worked in the commercial food industry and a**holes coming into restaurants and having "allergies"--not really allergies, just not a preference for those ingredients, or mild digestive issues with them. A true food allergy is a serious concern--if cucumbers make you burp, that is not a food allergy--if you take two bites and your throat closes up and you are gasping for air, that is a real allergy. And, of course, there are always the a**holes that go to an Italian restaurant and immediately announce that they can't/won't eat garlic--go somewhere else!!!

The Marie Callender roast beef was HORRIBLE..
THE SMELL was even nasty to smell.
Tried ONE BITE. Spit it out. Threw dinner in trash.
Got 2nd one from freezer. Threw IT into the trash too!

100% agree--with the caveat of having worked in the commercial food industry and a**holes coming into restaurants and having "allergies"--not really allergies, just not a preference for those ingredients, or mild digestive issues with them. A true food allergy is a serious concern--if cucumbers make you burp, that is not a food allergy--if you take two bites and your throat closes up and you are gasping for air, that is a real allergy. And, of course, there are always the a**holes that go to an Italian restaurant and immediately announce that they can't/won't eat garlic--go somewhere else!!!

There are a great many reactions from food allergies. If my wife eats any wheat she ends up with a migraine that puts her in bed for 2 to 3 days. Also, most restaurants today, at least the good ones, have adapted to clients with allergies, sensitivities and preferences and will do their level best to accommodate you. I have 29 years of experience with that, since I first met my wife. It may cause the kitchen some upset to do this but the face they present to us is ALWAYS gracious and helpful.

Shelly_D

Someone way back on Pg. 1 mentioned the old metal trays...they weren't tin, they were aluminum, like a disposable pie pan. This was my favorite as a kid in the 1970s. Note the blue ink price stamp! I can still hear the stockers doing every can in a case with that thing. Kachunk kachunk kachunk kachunk kachunk kachunk kachunk

That was my fav too.Those disgusting orange and green things had to go in the garbage though.
Yeah, I don't know how you screw up peas and carrots but they did.
Besides, everyone knows you serve meatloaf with green beans...sheeesh.

I'm cooking with gas this morning. Being a nocturnal animal, I'm never sure what meal I'm prepping.

Had a salad earlier in the day, from the Price Chopper salad bar.

DSC00476.JPG

I had a friend whose mother was just the most rotten cook ever. He LOVED the cafeteria food in school and I couldn't understand how until I went to his house and tasted one of her burgers. How can you screw up a burger? The Banquet fried chicken was the big hit at their house. When I told my mother about her cooking, she said, "Didn't she have a mom and Home Ec?" She had both, but mom's cooking stunk too, and she never paid attention in Home Ec.

I was a favorite of hers after I went over there one night and told her what she was doing wrong. First thing, she took corn flakes and smashed them up and mixed them with the crappiest 70% hamburger she could find. Between the two of them, they made $50K a year back in 1970, so it wasn't like they couldn't afford ground chuck or better.Then she had all kinds of weird spices in them, a couple I had never heard of. I had been cooking my own dinners since I was about 8, as I am a picky eater, and mom got tired of making 2 or 3 different dinners and the first thing I learned was what to season a burger with. My friend and the rest of his family, including mom was thrilled with my burgers and after that, it was the one thing she could make that was good. I bought his mom a huge container of Lawry's seasoned salt as a gag birthday gift a couple of years later. She loved it. Her cooking in general remained bad, but she could fix a decent burger or steak. Her "stir fry" was a horror story until she died at 79 in 2010.

I knew one person growing up with a peanut allergy, a mild one. Now, I know 4! And it's not mild in any of them. I would give up if I couldn't have peanut butter again.

Had a friend who was in her 40s and single, we had a group of about 6 of us who would have dinner at one house or another and play games. This one couldn't hardly cook at all. One time we had pork chops, cooked in a Corningware casserole with a lid. With some water in it. In the microwave. :oops: They were as bad as they sound.

Back
Top Bottom