"Dark" Music

About the darkest thing I've heard in a while is Mount Eerie-A Crow Looked At Me.

And I'm really surprised nobody has mentioned Elliot Smith yet. That's about as dark as it gets...

About a month ago, as a joke, I asked Alexa to "play ominous music" and to my surprise, it said, playing "evil lair" playlist. And further to my surprise, I really really enjoyed the playlist. So much so that it's now the one I go to the most. And no, I do not have a "death laser" in the attic or any henchmen.

It's a plasma gun and it's in the garage.

I have a feeling that most of the music I listen to would fit in this thread.

I've been listening to recent releases by Zola Jesus, Sufjan Stevens, The National, Iron & Wine, The Mountan Goats, Slowdive, and Nick Cave & the Bad Seeds lately.

Last edited:
Today's playlist at work was drawn from 1992 & 1993 releases:

American Music Club - Mercury
Kirsty MacColl - Titanic Days
John Cale - Fragments of a Rainy Season
Various Artists (4AD Records) - Lilliput
Swans - Love of Life
The Ukrainians - Pizni iz the Smiths (Songs of the Smiths) EP
Fatima Mansions - Tima Mansio Dumps the Dead EP
Cabaret Voltaire - Technology - Western Reworks

Never saw this thread before, thanks for the dumpster dive. I'm with Finnbow on this one, favoring singer songwriters usually leads to the dark side. Neil Young, Richard Thompson, Nick Drake, Townes Van Zandt, etc all have very dark lyrics in their oeuvre. An obvious dark record for me is King Crimson: Red. "One More Red Nightmare" is right up there. Also Leo Kottke's take on "Sonora's Death Row", should not be listened to while awaiting sentencing.

I have a feeling that most of the music I listen to would fit in this thread.

I've been listening to recent releases by Zola Jesus, Sufjan Stevens, The National, Iron & Wine, The Mountan Goats, Slowdive, and Nick Cave & the Bad Seeds lately.

Mountain Goats and Iron and Wine would make me downright suicidal.

j1Q5FBP.png

This is about as dark as I can go, and I don't make a habit of this sort of stuff! About a widowed guy who set about murdering his 3 kids..

Been listening to The Who Tommy for the first time since being a teenager.. Wicked uncle Earnie was kind of a bastard!

Back
Top Bottom