"Dark" Music

I was in a bookstore chain location a few weeks ago, that had just started carrying used CDs. They had Closer by Joy Division filed under the letter "D"; I guess they thought her first name was Joy.

Last edited:
Like most others Joy Division's Closer, all the Tool albums, Radiohead can be dark in places and currently filling up a back catalogue of Nine Inch Nails which has held up well over time. Brian Eno's Ambient 4 On Land for a more mellow dark.

Soft_Cell_-_Non-Stop_Erotic_Cabaret_album_cover.jpg

This was a big influence on my musical tastes back when I was in junior high school -- a gateway to industrial, EBM, and post-punk, usually of the dark variety.

The Caretaker - Everywhere At The End Of Time

"First in a series of Six albums by The Caretaker to be released over the next 3 years, slowly cataloguing the stages of early onset dementia. Each album will reveal new points of progression, loss and disintegration, progressively falling further and further towards the abyss of complete memory loss and nothingness... Embarking on the Caretaker’s final journey with his first release in four years, Everywhere At The End of Time sets off with the familiar vernacular of abraded shellac 78s and their ghostly waltzes to emulate the entropic effect of a mind becoming detached from everyone else’s sense of reality and coming to terms with their own, altered, and ever more elusive sense of ontology. The series aims to enlighten our understanding of dementia by breaking it down into a series of stages that provide a haunting guide to its progression, deterioration and disintegration and the way that people experience it according to a range of impending factors. In other words, Everywhere At The End of Time probes some of the most important questions about modern music’s place in a world that’s increasingly haunted or even choked by the tightening noose of feedback loops of influence; perceptibly questioning the value of old memories as opposed to the creation of new ones, and, likewise the fidelity of those musical memories which remain, and whether we can properly recollect them from the mire of our faulty memory banks without the luxury of choice As the first in the series, and despite its typically frayed loop construction, this volume is the most lucid, as subsequent instalments will continue to move into faded obscurity and material erosion. We’ve only ingested this first volume so far, so we cannot predict whether the ensuing journey and results will be lush, tortuous or, perhaps more likely, an ambiguous weaving and unpicking of the two and all interstices between. We encourage you to join The Caretaker on this, his final journey thru the endless haunted ballrooms and mazy corridors of his wasting mind..."

"Amp Worship" was a thing about 5 years ago.
Bands like Sunn O))), Ulver, Boris, Earth and to a lesser extent, Melvins.

I found this style mildly interesting but monotonous and VERY dark.

My personal choice of music to go there would be UNIVERS ZERO

IMG_20180117_175828.jpg

Belgium band from the mid '70s, plays a heavy chamber rock music akin to Art Zoyd and Present.

Bowie's swan song Lazarus ... a voice from beyond the grave ...

Look up here, I'm in heaven
I've got scars that can't be seen
I've got drama, can't be stolen
Everybody knows me now

http%3A%2F%2Fmashable.com%2Fwp-content%2Fuploads%2F2016%2F01%2FScreen-Shot-2016-01-11-at-09.47.41-640x455.png

Back
Top Bottom