Dashi Soy Sauce? What is a good brand

transmaster

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
Was watching an episode of “Cooking with Dog” on YouTube on this episode the presentor prepared a cold Sōmen noodle dish. The broth was Dashi Soy Sauce. My local Oriental grocery store does not have it. It caters to Southeast Asian and Chinese cookery, not so much Japanese. I can get it but I would like to know what a good Japanese brand is.

Dashi has no soy sauce in it. What you want is to make a good dashi, and add your desired soy sauce to it. Anything short of that will be sub-par. Dashi is so ubiquitous that coming short of making your own is tantamount to malpractice :)

Look for good recipes and processes for making dashi. At a minimum, you need to be able to find kombu, a kind of edible kelp. Broth made from that is the minimum. Then you step up to include katsuobushi (bonito shavings). Then, for a serious step up, you can add dehdrated shiitake mushrooms to the mix.

It is not hard, and does not take long. There is a process, so study, then do. You won't be disappointed.

The ingredients are available at Asian food stores, or Amazon, and keep almost forever, being dehydrated.

The soy sauce I use is "Healthy Boy" brand "Mushroom Infused Soy Sauce." It is not Japanese, per se, but the best I have found for Asian cooking.

Get on Amazon and look up each ingredient, then go on YouTube, and see how to get the job done.

Enjoy,
Rich P

Dashi has no soy sauce in it. :)Then you step up to include katsuobushi (bonito shavings).
The soy sauce I use is "Healthy Boy" brand "Mushroom Infused Soy Sauce." It is not Japanese, per se, but the best I have found for Asian cooking.
Enjoy,
Rich P
I have used Dashi for many years, same for Katsuobushi, I sprinkle it on Pizza. Healthy Boy Brand Mushroom Soy Sauce is the only soy sauce I use there is nothing better. On "Cooking with Dog" I found out the lady was using Kamada Dashi Soy Sauce. I have several recipes for Dashi Soy Sauce but as I understand it the Kamada brand is a favorite in Japan. I see Kamada makes a Ponzu Soy Sauce I usually get Mizkan AJIPON Ponzu Soy Sauce which is much superior to Kikkoman's version. I will have to try some of the Kamada Ponzu. :D

51aMTKrvnpL._SY450_.jpg

SAN-J

Avoid anything that says caramel coloring. Not the real deal.

Water, soybeans, salt and some alcohol is the only thing you should see on the back. :thumbsup:

some suggestions. buy only those that are made in the US (don't buy any made in china products),
and for Chinese flavoring buy light and dark soys (like from lee kum kee) - there's a premium dark
bottled like wine (plastic cover over top - holding neck in left hand, bottle base in right hand).
for sushi the Kikkoman is good - its between a Chinese light and dark. the light is OK.

from my foodie friends who eat to live and live to eat.

I've been using Kikkoman and the low sodium stuff for the last 40+ years. Nice balance for what I cook. I find the Chinese and stuff from Hawaii to dark and heavy. Unless your making specific dishes.

41n-USUf5FL._SX425_.jpg

Last edited:
I used to use Kikkoman soy sauce but my 2 favorites are Aloha Brand from Hawai'i which is a Japanese style sause, and Healthy Boy Brand Mushroom sauce from Thailand.

13652136_532610700282608_770417745_n.jpg

DSCF3807.jpg

I like Yamasa soy sauce. A bit better than Kikkoman IMHO.

Attachments

• pic-retail-regular-soysauce-japan01.jpg
    pic-retail-regular-soysauce-japan01.jpg
    25.4 KB · Views: 3
  • yamasalow-sodiumdispenser.jpg
    yamasalow-sodiumdispenser.jpg
    75.6 KB · Views: 3
China Lily.jpg
We were using China Lily from Canada until they went from all soy to wheat. Now we use (of all things) LaChoy, because it is all soy and no wheat!

Dashi is super easy to make. I usually make a small amount to order when I need some.

I was curious about the Healthy Boy Mushroom Soy Sauce a bunch of you mentioned. Then I looked at the ingredient list, and became much less interested.

Water, Defatted Soybean, Wheat, Salt, Sugar, Monosodium Glutamate, Disodium 5'- Inosinate and Disodium 5' Guanylate, Mushroom Extract, Sodium Benzoate as Preservatives, Natural Color (Caramel), Artificial Flavor

I'll stick to my San-J Tamari with 4 ingredients; Water, Soybeans, Salt, Alcohol.

Back
Top Bottom