Behind The Curtain
Staff member
Admin
Artist - Dave Brubeck
Title - Time Out
Year of Release - 1959
Record Label - Legacy Recordings
Genre - Jazz

This is one of the all time greats. I'm sure you have heard it. If you haven't your missing something very special. For you vinyl guys, the album takes this recording to the next level. Take Five is truely breath taking.

Have you heard the 45 edition Wards? I've been contemplating pulling the trigger on a set.

Carl

One of my all time favorite albums. Got hooked on it when I was a little boy. My brother has the 45 set. Well worth the extra bux. :yes:

I found a cd of this at the library a month ago and liked it so much I burned my own copy. At 46, it's my first jazz album and I love it. I found "Love Songs" (2000, Columbia Legacy) just yesterday afternoon and will be burning that one too!
Tom

OvenMaster said:
I At 46, it's my first jazz album and I love it.

You been in jail or something? first jazz album at 46? you best be catching up. It's practically un-American not to like Jazz, and I'm pretty sure it's a requirement of the Patriot Act to listen to at least one jazz album by the age of 18

I have been listening to Take Five the last couple days. Sonically pleasing in every way. The instruments sound so live. I bought the 20-bit re-mastered cd version when it came out and ran across it the other day and started listening again. I don't have it on vinyl but I would certainly recommend this re-mastered version. :D

VintageNut said:
You been in jail or something? first jazz album at 46? you best be catching up. It's practically un-American not to like Jazz, and I'm pretty sure it's a requirement of the Patriot Act to listen to at least one jazz album by the age of 18
Nope, just finally discovering jazz as I mature. I've already branched out into a bit of opera and classical, so here's one more area I'm discovering. Most of my life I've enjoyed pop and rock music, but maturing does have advantages:D. Next up on my list is Jimmy Smith, Miles Davis, Lionel Hampton, Joey DeFrancesca, and a whole lot more.
Tom

Last edited:
Oh, and also, it was released the year I was born and I've always connected with things from that year. This album's as old as I am!

And Donald Fagen mentions Brubeck in his song "The New Frontier" on his first solo album from 1982. Anybody else familiar with this reference?

VintageNut said:
It's practically un-American not to like Jazz, and I'm pretty sure it's a requirement of the Patriot Act to listen to at least one jazz album by the age of 18

Nah, the Patriot Act requires we only listen to Southern Gospel (none of this namby-pamby middle of the road Protestant hymns) and certain country artists. Introspective, thought provoking music are certainly not allowed...you might develop a thought!

That's the main album that turned me on to Jazz years ago. I loved it then and I love it now.

I think this was my first jazz album other than a jazz fusion rekkid. I was really into the whole jazz/rock fusion thing prior to buying this. Anyway, I bought it because I knew Take Five and wanted to hear it again. Turns out the whole thing is wonderful. I've gots lots of Brubeck now. Jazz at Oberlin is great. The sequel to Time Out, Time Further Out is a must. Even his recent stuff is very good.

If you like jazz on the "cool" side of things Brubeck is a must.

Just a thought...

OvenMaster said:
I found a cd of this at the library a month ago and liked it so much I burned my own copy. At 46, it's my first jazz album and I love it. I found "Love Songs" (2000, Columbia Legacy) just yesterday afternoon and will be burning that one too!
Tom

if you like an artist (or record label), why not go out and buy the album? After all, the sale of their music is how they stay alive to make more of it...

I know, I know, that's crazy talk!

Aage said:
if you like an artist (or record label), why not go out and buy the album? After all, the sale of their music is how they stay alive to make more of it...

I know, I know, that's crazy talk!

Huh its always been my understanding that artists make money touring and record companies make money selling CD's.

Mike

I've got 2 vinyl copies of Time Out and the cd version (thanks to my local library.) And I happened to find a radio station promo copy of the Dave Brubeck Quartet at Carnegie Hall 2 LP set from '63 in excellent condition.
Nice!

I don't want to turn this into a thread on buying vs. ripping, but I'll buy a CD if I can't borrow it from the library to burn a copy because I am on a very tight budget. I refuse to pay full price for any CD if I can possibly help it.... to get my money, it had better be damn good! I hate buying a cd that ends up sucking or there's just two or three good tunes on it. Just because it's an artist I like, or MIGHT like, that doesn't automatically mean it will be great. Not all cd's or lp's from artists are gold. I've bought far too many that were disappointments, and I want to keep my losses to a minimum. To me, music is not some throwaway thing, but an investment. I cannot afford to just casually say "Oh, well, that CD sucked. But at least I got a $15 coaster!"

Just for laughs, I bought Jimmy Smith's Finest Hour tonight for $13 at Barnes & Noble. THAT was worth paying for!

Tom

More on intellectual copyright

ProAc_Fan said:
Huh its always been my understanding that artists make money touring and record companies make money selling CD's.

Mike

It's true artists make money touring.

It's also true that record labels make money selling CDs.

But, while there are a million variations on artists' deals with their label, they almost always include a royalty to the artist based on sales of the album.

In any event, I personally find it a funny way to show appreciation of the artist, songwriter (yeah, they get a slice too) and the label that manages them to deny them the income they deserve, and earned.

"And that's all I've got to say about that."

I've always wondered why nobody got upset when we used to buy an album and record it for our friends on tape. Or dub one tape to another in our dual cassette decks. I don't remember anybody saying that "all these darn cassette dubs are the reason we aren't making any money"
Anyway, sorry to thread crap Wards,I was just wondering.
Back to Brubesk. I found this album at a garage sale and it is in my always played rotation. I have the HDCD as well and it is great, but the vinyl is awesome indeed, and clean vinyl is thrilling to say the least.

Back
Top Bottom