Dave Brubeck - Time Out

Have both the 6 eye mono and stereo. Love it! Can't decide which sounds the best; maybe.... both.

I vote for stereo on this one, but it is close. I have the original pressing six-eye mono w/o the big lettering after "Take Five" was a hit.

Millions of copies were sold, so anyone with a TT owes it to themselves to locate a six-eye stereo. So alive. So real.

Jazz Goes to College, which I just picked up on CD, is an excellent insight into Brubeck's early work.

Huh its always been my understanding that artists make money touring and record companies make money selling CD's.

Mike

Close, the good ones make money on both. In fact, the main reason for touring is to sell the album in most cases...

The bad ones never cover their advance or initial costs to record. Advance!? What was I thinking of?? :D That's sooo last Tuesday!

Speaking of "Take Five", I ran across the original mono 45 edit of it the other day. Columbia was about the only label that could do decent editing without ruining the flow of a song.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• brubeck_a.jpg
    brubeck_a.jpg
    163 KB · Views: 15
  • brubeck_b.jpg
    brubeck_b.jpg
    153.1 KB · Views: 15
Last edited:
Speaking of "Take Five", I ran across the original mono 45 edit of it the other day. Columbia was about the only label that could do decent editing without ruining the flow of a song.

Never heard the 45 version but I wouldn't be surprised if it was edited by Teo Macero. He could do amazing things when he edited. All you have to do is hear Miles Davis' "Bitches Brew" and "In A Silent Way" and then hear the "Complete" recordings. The man was a real genius on the cutting room floor.

Great stuff and Dave Brubeck is still out there and touring. I saw him a couple of years ago at the National Cathederal. An atmospheric experience. The man has not lost a step.

May I make another recommendation then?

Nope, just finally discovering jazz as I mature. I've already branched out into a bit of opera and classical, so here's one more area I'm discovering. Most of my life I've enjoyed pop and rock music, but maturing does have advantages:D. Next up on my list is Jimmy Smith, Miles Davis, Lionel Hampton, Joey DeFrancesca, and a whole lot more.
Tom

As a former jazz-hater, I want to recommend to you the album that go me into jazz when I was about 10-years younger than you are now...

'Kind of Blue'
Miles Davis

Still one of my favourite albums; period. Enjoy...

:D
-Sondek

I'm loving this thread. It was Brubeck that broke me away from being a R&R only kind of guy when I was about 13. Now, I have more jazz than R&R in my collection ('course, I'm a few decades older than 13 and can appreciate all music a lot more than in 1973)

I gotta ask though: You guys are saying 2-eye and 6-eye... WTF?? I have no idea what you are referring to with this eye talk.

"Six-Eye"

A "two-eye" ought to be self-explanatory.

Attachments

• columbia-6-eye-copy.jpg
    columbia-6-eye-copy.jpg
    15.3 KB · Views: 33
OK... it's the label. What's the significance of the various eye count? Honestly, I don't know. I'd never realized there was a difference. Is it a later pressing? Different amount of vinyl? different grade of vinyl? It has been literally decades since I owned any vinyl. I now have 2 LP's and nothing to play them on but I never really paid much attention to an album's label even in the day when I did have a lot of vinyl.

HTML:
Originally Posted by lfender 
Donald Fagen mentions Brubeck in his song "The New Frontier" on his first solo album from 1982. Anybody else familiar with this reference?

That's wierd. I just bought that album today. I didn't even know who Donald Fagen was until 5 hours ago!.

OK... it's the label. What's the significance of the various eye count? Honestly, I don't know. I'd never realized there was a difference. Is it a later pressing? Different amount of vinyl? different grade of vinyl? It has been literally decades since I owned any vinyl. I now have 2 LP's and nothing to play them on but I never really paid much attention to an album's label even in the day when I did have a lot of vinyl.

Six Eye's are earlier than the Two Eye's. Earlier pressings have a better chance of having been mastered from the actual master tape, rather than a second generation backup tape.

Alto sax player Paul Desmond, when asked to describe his playing, said it sounded "Like a dry martini." An apt description if I ever heard one. I have always found Desmond's playing soothing and an essential component to the Quartet's sound. I like the song "Three to get Ready" from the Time Out album, which is a must have record for any jazz collection.

Here is a keeper for you, the Blu Ray dvd - Legends of Jazz with Ramsey Lewis it has a very good version of "Take Five" by the duo of Al Jarreau/Kurt Elling. Excellent picture quality and very good audio. :thmbsp: Check it out, you will not be disappointed. :yes:

Actually all of the Legends of Jazz with Ramsey Lewis DVD releases are great; I wrote reviews for them on the DVDTalk website. What's very cool about them is the standard DVDs come with an audio only CD disc as well. You get Brubeck doing Take The 'A' Train with Billy Taylor :)

When I got back into vinyl, I knew there were 3 jazz albums I would be buying new rather than chancing used.

Oscar Peterson’s Night Train
Miles Davis’s Kind of Blue
Dave Brubeck's Time Out

‘Time Out’ arrived this past Friday. Xmas coming early!
:music:

Yes, though I think the quote was, "I thought that I had it in the back of my head that I wanted to sound like a dry martini."

I am quite fond of the "Storyville: 1954" album. Though the sonics are not very good, the playing is elegant, sophisticated, and impeccable and is most befitting of Desmond's analogy. :)

Alto sax player Paul Desmond, when asked to describe his playing, said it sounded "Like a dry martini." An apt description if I ever heard one. I have always found Desmond's playing soothing and an essential component to the Quartet's sound. I like the song "Three to get Ready" from the Time Out album, which is a must have record for any jazz collection.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom