DBX BX-3 Power Amp & TX-3 mkII tuner

Pioneer nutt

Hi all. New here, I just picked up a mint condition DBX BX-3 amp & TX-3 mkII tuner & a few other DBX items, I was amazed with the sound quality of these units. I can honestly say in my thoughts this amp sounds better than my pair of MC-60's by far witch were my babies, think I found a new baby. Any thought out their on DBX equipment. :music:

Welcome to AK. My only thought on DBX gear is that I think I wish I had some.

Welcome to AK! It looks like your username should have been DBX Nutt! :D
Several years ago I owned a set of DBX gear like you, and absolutely loved it. In fact, I A/B tested the BX-3 amp against a Yamaha MX-1000U, and they were nearly sonically identical. That puts the DBX into some heady company!

Thanks all for the welcome. Absolutly love this amp & set up except the speakers I have, I have the BX-3 amp, CX-3 control amp & TX-3 mkII tuner, sounds amazing. right now I am running a pair of klipsch heresy II's & Bose 601 series III's with the set up. the bose can't handle the power it will for sure damage them @ high volume, the heresy's hold on longer but seem to be over powered also. Now I am going to be looking for a set of speaker to compliment the DBX items. Any thought on a good pair of speakers for this set up? Thanks

hmmmm -- well i'm kind of a Polk SDA fan myself. So I'm a bit biased towards them.

I was just about to reply with that exact recommendation. They sound good and can handle the power of the BX-3. I've powered my SRS 3.1TL's and SDA-1A's using BX1, BX-2 and BX-3MKII amps. They all sound very nice through the Polks.

BTW I noticed you've been a member since October of last year, but here is a belated welcome to AK anyways..

Regards,
Mike

Last edited:
Welcome! You'll probably get more speaker recommendations if you post in the speaker forum. Don't want to discourage you posting here, but you'll get much better response to your question there.

My stack is a wee bit different, BX-3, CX-3 Mk. II and TX-3, but can vouch for how they sound. TB, did you run the SDA's with the BX-3 in bridged mode? You can't run SDA's with the cable in place on a non common-ground amp, which the BX-3 is if you run it in bridged mode.

I was so looking forward to 'exercising' my Polk's when I got the BX-3 only to find out that there is no way to use the cable on the blade/blade SDA's with it in bridged mode. You can rig up a cable for the pin/blade type using an isolation transformer.

Hello all. I realize this is an old post, but there's not a lot of info on this dbx amp. I have a chance to purchase one and would love to know what you think of its sound characteristics. There seems to be no shortage of bright amps or amps that accentuate higher frequencies, but I have a hard time finding ones with nice body to them without being fatiguing. I currently own a very powerful amp but it can wear on the ears after a short while (I actually prefer my receiver's sound over my dedicated amplifier). I would simply stick with my receiver, but my speakers often dip to 2 ohms and even lower. Thanks for the help!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom