DCM TF2000 Deal of the Decade - with pics!

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by 707kevin, Jun 8, 2015.

1. 707kevin

707kevin Member

These are the guys I was talking about in this other thread (http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=508525&page=6), but I figured a new one would make more sense with photos and future questions.

Quick recap:
    $50 from local guy selling via classifieds with some other stuff (non-audio).

Pretty bad cosmetically, but complete. The speaker cover fabric was no good at all, faded, torn, dog hair, etc. So first thing I did was cut it off.

Drivers are really all good except for the dust cap on one woofer. Rubber surrounds, not cracked. Dusty, but OK.

I can't give any listening impressions since A) I'm no good at that anyways, and B) I don't have them at my house yet, just tested them out at a friends until I can make some room for them.

Serial numbers 442 and 443, higher than most I've seen in the few days I've researched these.

anyways, on to the pics.
    These are 5 freaking feet tall. 59.5 inches I think. I'll call them 60" if anyone asks :) 22 inches wide, 15" deep total.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 8, 2015
  2. 707kevin

707kevin Member

The little I've heard them so far are great. Immediately noticed a ridiculously wide sound stage (before they were shoved into the corners for the photos that is). Instruments and sounds from all over the place, awesome.

The Highs and Mids are funky, I don't know how to describe it shrill and uncomfortable. I need to get them home before I can critique any further. I'm guessing the crossovers are just too old and caps are all shot. Will find out next week.

Anyways, super excited! I've never even heard of DCM before I found these.... I sort feel like I don't deserve them, honestly.

Last edited: Jun 8, 2015
  3. 707kevin

707kevin Member

Is all the Goop around the drivers the factory method of sealing them in? what a mess.

4. Donkey Karma

Donkey Karma Super Member

You mean the Black Gup from HELL. Yes it's factory.

GREAT SCORE!!!!

Take your time pulling the Xovers, can be tricky. If memory serves they will have enough capacitors to run a sound board. Steve's Time Alignment madness.

It should be a great journey getting them up and running!! Excited to see the progress!!

5. 707kevin

707kevin Member

6. nexus

nexus Super Member

heard them demo'd at vegas CES way back when they came out. very impressive with good bass extension too. nice find!

7. onwardjames

onwardjames Hoardimus Maximus Subscriber

If I may say this, PLEASE take your time, ask tons of questions, and restore these properly.

You have that rarest of DCM's, and while yes, they sound amazing, and yes, they're super bad ass, they can also be something you can sell one day for a fat profit, if you so desire.

So treat them respectfully. Super score, and good luck to you.

8. 707kevin

707kevin Member

Absolutely. I want to do these right. Like I said, no hurry. I'll probably post everything i find here before I make a move.

Avsforum had a great looong thread about the company and the designer, with some really good info about the tf1000s and these too, 60 pages or so in all, diverging into rebuilds, crossover repairs, etc for various DCM models. I lot of good insight into the speakers can be gained form reading it through.

Last edited: Jun 9, 2015
  9. baco99

baco99 AK Subscriber Subscriber

Holy mother of mercy!!!! Awesome score.

10. hjames

hjames Nabbed ... Subscriber

Just a Q - where (roughly) are ye, pilgrim ...
    They surely do look intriguing ...
    any chance some of us folks might have a listen?

Last edited: Jun 9, 2015
  11. nexus

nexus Super Member

noticed that the putty DCM used to modify the vent opening seems messed up. it might affect the tuning?

i'll concur that you have a score there with 2000s!

12. baco99

baco99 AK Subscriber Subscriber

That's normal. It's not putty. It's construction adhesive. Then they cover the area with a black acoustic dampening paint: 1) it blends with the black headliner fabric and 2) it absorbs some vibration from the cardboard quasi-transmission line tubes.

13. Speakerbox

Speakerbox Super Member

All I can do is shake my head and say WOW.
    I'm very curious how low they play on the bass.
    I LOVE how shockingly low and clean my CX 27's can play.

14. 707kevin

707kevin Member

I'm on the southern most part of the Oregon coast. I'd be more than happy to let any one passing through have a listen after I get them cleaned up and check out the crossovers.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2015
  15. 707kevin

707kevin Member

It looks sloppy, yeah. Those are pretty low velocity ports though. They already have a sharp 90* bend in the tube. Not an elbow, but imagine cutting a tube at 45* and rejoining to a 90* sharp, square bend. I can't imaging a little goop being worse than that? These TF's just were never intended to live naked I don't think.

Played a couple of songs with a bit of bass and they made some noise. I was in a hurry and we just played some mp3's from an iPhone. (that just felt so wrong to write in this thread... I'm a terrible person.) I'm going to refrain from any critique until I get them sorted out a bit. They were super corner loaded too in a small room, so yeah, can't really say on the sound impressions just yet.

My to do list is:

* Test crossover components & diagram the circuits
    * Re-cap crossovers
    * Check all drivers
    * Check all connections
    * Re-foam box
    * LISTEN
    * Re-finish top and bottom cap
    * Re-cover

Last edited: Jun 10, 2015
  16. onwardjames

onwardjames Hoardimus Maximus Subscriber

Methinks you do all you have stated, and you'll have a lifetime keeper of a set.

Again, man, helluva score.

17. 707kevin

707kevin Member

Does anyone have a close up of the DCM badge that should be on the front grill of these? Is it the same as the TF1000?

I'd like to start looking around. There was a pair of small badges on ebay, but I really don't think it's correct.

18. Gazdatronik

Gazdatronik Super Member

[​IMG]

Should be these guys. Classiest version of the logo too. And yes, quite small.
    Nearly visible!
    [​IMG]

19. nexus

nexus Super Member

ahh...i always wondered what was up with that. Thanks!

20. 707kevin

707kevin Member

Thanks Gazda!