DCM Time Windows 1A or Bose 901

mrarroyo

For some crazy reason I chose to read up on Bose 901's following some of the pictures posted in the member systems forum. Since 1986 I have been using a pair of DCM Time Windows 1A and I have liked them so much I saw no need to replace them. A few times in the 1990's I drove to a shop and compared the 1A's versus speakers in the $2,500 range and frankly none of the options were sufficiently better to buy.

Anyway I am wondering if any of you has had an opportunity to compare these two speakers and would be willing to share your experience. I have owned the 601 and a couple of 301's and although familiar with the Bose sound I have not listened to a Bose 901 in a very long time (over 20 years).

BTW the amp would be an Adcom GFA555. Thanks.

Stick with the DCM,s. I know there are quite a few people that like the 901's but they do not do anything for me. I actually liked the 501 series IV speakers. Not bad for a speaker that can be had regularly for $50.00

Not to bash Bose but stick with the TW's. IMO the TW's have the better ability to play both ends of the sound spectrum and are not as room/placement dependent as compared to the 901's. Of course as you can see by my signature I might be a bit biased......

I concur with the previous posts....you are where you need to be unless your willing to shell out some serious bucks,pass on the Bose.I might recommend you buy another brand of speaker you haven't tried before to augment your DCM's.For instance...I have recently added some ads L880's to my time windows for some very sweet synergy!

I have both TF 600s and several sets of 901s. The DCMs have rear firing tweeters, so they have a direct/reflecting quality similar to the 901s. But DCM would win if you like a precise soundstage.

For the music I listen to most -- classical string and vocal -- I think the 901s are sweeter. The midrange is where the lack of a crossover is an advantage. The 901s also have an advantage below 40 Hz, at least with the acoustic suspension series (I and II).

Very few Bose 901 haters seem to actually have them.

When selling the 901 and earlier TWs along with Dahlquist DQ-10 and Magneplanar II, the best actual concert in an arena recreation was done by the Bose 901. Loud, reverberating sound encircling the listener. With the right amp, lots of power, the 901 was quite impressive for this rock concert sound in an arena, not exactly where one would chose to hold a concert for the best acoustics.

The other end of the Spectrum, is the Magneplanars. These were a great speaker to recreate the sound of a non-amplified jazz band in the local jazz venue/bar. The speakers allowed accurate imaging of vocalists and instruments to the point of seeing each string plucked on the stand up bass over to the right behind the singer. You can even tell the bass player has on a blue tie.

The DQ-10 was similar to the Magneplanars with a bit less imaging but more bass, especially with the subs. Neither of these two speakers did the powerful rock sound as well, even with high powered amplifiers. Adequate, but at times volume limited as the Bose would be without adequate power.

The TimeWindows did the imaging. The TimeWindows did the power. I still have the TimeWindows I purchased in 1980. I sold the 901s within a year of buying them with the points from selling Bose, so they didn't cost much money. I've added newer Magneplanars (ones with ribbon tweeters) and still have the TWs. Still like the power and imaging and overall sound quality, especially with the TWs on about 9" stands. Rotating between the TW and the MG-IIIa adds a new dimension to the system.

If you are looking for a rock concert in an arena experience, maybe audition a pair of 901s, but keep the TWs handy, you'll probably want to keep them.

Time Windows are very nice speakers, and recall hearing them for the first time, quite by accident in a store, and definitely caught both mine and my brothers attention, when the sales guy switched them on. We wern't there buying speakers, but were impressed. Actually my brother had 901's at the time, but tired of the everywhere sound after awhile, and moved on to something else. I could never really warm up to the fact, that about 95% of the 901's sound is really the EQ. Try playing them without it, and you'll know what I mean.

I am listeining to Secret Samadhi on 1A's as I type this.

Last time I heard 901's they were being driven by some xl280r's that were bridged to mono. They sounded impressive to say the least and gave a convincing concert like sound - loud, sound everywhere, with house rattling bass w/o a sub despite what I often read on here. And yet at the time that 901 owner used a set of polk monitor 5's for regular listening. If you're going to make that gfa-555 work hard all the time and the neighbors don't mind I say the 901's.

If you don't plan on a concert level experience all the time then keep the timewindows. You already know how good they sound, sometimes the whole really is greater than the sum....... All I would do if I was you is recap the crossovers if you haven't already done so.

Thanks for the feedback. I should add that I listen to Jazz and Classical over 95% of the time. I live in a condo so loud levels are not going to happen, heck lately I listen mostly to headphones. Again thanks and it looks like the TW1A are here to stay unless I get a pair of Maggies with ribbons.

Before I read

I should add that I listen to Jazz and Classical over 95% of the time.

I was going to say it's not even close, go with TW1's.

But now I will say with confidence that you must, Must, MUST ABSOLUTELY never even think about Bo$e ever again. Ever. :music:

Try playing a record without EQ in the preamp.

What's your point?
Quite aware of the RIAA equalization scheme for vynil. It's putting back what's intentionally taken out in the recording process to cut down groove space for lengthened play time. Actually dont play vynil anymore, so guess it doesn't matter anyway. Also know the speakers I'm currently using dont require 18 db of bass boost to sound good. Gotta realize, for every 3 db additional acoustic output to the room requires double the amplifier power you started with. Easy to do the math on that one.

Interestingly, both the timewindow and the 901 employed complementary approaches to the challenge of delivering a diffuse, enveloping soundfield - Bose, of course, called it "Direct/Reflected Sound" and trademarked the term.

I won't (can't really) argue the respective success of the two approaches. I can only comment, purely subjectively, on tone. I prefer the tone of the timewindows. The early-series 901s (with CTS OEM drivers) have plently of capability when driven with a sufficiently brawny amplifier - the timewindows (IME) are happy enough with low power (including vacuum tube amplification) but will also thrive when fed power.

Other than the "direct/reflecting" thing, they're too much apples and oranges for me to compare in a very worthwhile manner. The timewindows are probably the bigger bargain at this late date (mine, e.g., were $10 in poor cosmetic but excellent working condition).

Interesting to note that both of these companies are still in business (DCM, admittedly, in far altered circumstances) - while so many others from the 1960s and 1970s are long gone.

Interestingly, both the timewindow and the 901 employed complementary approaches to the challenge of delivering a diffuse, enveloping soundfield - Bose, of course, called it "Direct/Reflected Sound" and trademarked the term.

I won't (can't really) argue the respective success of the two approaches. I can only comment, purely subjectively, on tone. I prefer the tone of the timewindows. The early-series 901s (with CTS OEM drivers) have plently of capability when driven with a sufficiently brawny amplifier - the timewindows (IME) are happy enough with low power (including vacuum tube amplification) but will also thrive when fed power.

Other than the "direct/reflecting" thing, they're too much apples and oranges for me to compare in a very worthwhile manner. The timewindows are probably the bigger bargain at this late date (mine, e.g., were $10 in poor cosmetic but excellent working condition).

Interesting to note that both of these companies are still in business (DCM, admittedly, in far altered circumstances) - while so many others from the 1960s and 1970s are long gone.

I will be so glad when someone else here gets some of these "LATEST" :banana: BOSE 901's :yes: Then your find out why I been raving about them so much !..:yes: :music:

I've always really liked the look of the 901s with the blue cones. I've never had a chance to hear them though, hopefully some day.

That said, DCM Timewindow 1As impress me every time I listen to them. They have a great open sound, they're laid back and are relatively forgiving of placement.

Why does everyone assume that if he gets the 901's that he will have to get rid of the Timewindows. I think we all have multiple sets of speakers I have been a fan of 901's for many years they are different then other speakers but that doesn't make them bad. You can pick some up on CL for a good price give them a try you might be surprised if you set them up correctly. If they are not your taste you won't have a problem turning them.

Go for BOSE!

I own a pair of Bose 901 Series V and a pair of Bose 802's Series II and just recently purchased another pair of 901's Series V to add to my collection and audio system by this comming weekend.

http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=371286

I like Bose speakers and their performance and I realize that, yes, they are not for everyone and that should be expected and I am o-k with that.
Also I know that there are other better speakers out there but the Bose 901's and 802's suit me just fine, I'm happy with them.

But if you do decide to try the Bose 901's out I would first find out what Series they are (I wouldn't get anything less than the Series IV) that your going to purchase and remember for optimum performance you should: 1.) use the required, same Series Active Equalizer, 2.) good rated power amplifier (like 300 watts or greater) and 3.) proper placement, are three factors to really consider when setting them up listening to them (just my opinion).

Best of luck on your decision.

Last edited:
Why does everyone assume that if he gets the 901's that he will have to get rid of the Timewindows. I think we all have multiple sets of speakers

I think everyone was just answering the question in the thread title - "901 or TW". I agree though, the best answer would be both.

Back
Top Bottom