Decent Affordable Phono Preamp?

The DB-8 looks nice, specs wise. Great distortion ##'s especially, probably tough to overload too. It appears to be MC only? A bit lower in the gain dept.....

absolun-- The ROTEL, since I'm obviously a fan of (well, IMHO, I've heard otherwise,) is a nice, warm sound. So, it should integrate well. There is only one on eBay at this time, currently at $80.00. If you say around $100 should be the price, I may make an offer on it. It appears barely used as described and comes w/ original box, etc. If that works, I'm in. Plus- maybe the mods down the road ; Nichicon and Rubican Blackgate are good components, it appears well made.

If the ART is as nice as two members have now described it, it is an absolute steal. So that may be the back-up if the Rotel falls through. Is the ART both MM and MC? If so, unless someone has any negative input, I might just say the heck with the bidding stuff and get that NOW!!

Re: My Little Dot- I guess since no one responded, my idea is not workable? Just trying to get the tube thing in there without buying another tube component.

The DB-8 is a MM stage. You can have them built to order with a few different options, though. Mine has a bit more gain for use with HOMC, which would normally run into a standard MM stage but can use the extra gain added into my stage.

How about this for those that have recommended the ART. May be new model? $79

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ART-USB-Pho...567?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3f139d1def

Assume it's the same basic preamp with additional features-- MC/MM, Monitor output & USB to add tracks to my Cowan J3 little monster digital/ portable solution (the Wolfson DAC's will make my analog transfers sing!

This may be a total solution for me? See- just takes a little help from friends....

Charles & a couple otyhers w/ the Cambridge solutions- love their stuff, but gonna take me quite a bit out of my price point. IF I had time to wait, maybe I could catch luck & find a used one for $100, but not gonna happen right now that I can see.....

Thanks. -GT

exactly :thmbsp:

Your TD145 is an excellent TT,
Entry level table, hardly.

With your budget in mind, you should seriously consider the MM Azur 540p phono pre-amp from Cambridge audio or his big brother, the MM/MC Azur 640p

For the price, you might as well get the 640p, and have the choice of MM or MC cartridge.
If you get a low output MC cartridge or an MM cartridge, you will be able to use them both with the 640p,

On the other hand, an MM or a high output MC cartridge can be used with both the 540p or the 640p

www.cambridgeaudio.com/assets/documents/Hi-FiChoiceMarch06540-640PPDF.pdf

absolun-- The ROTEL, since I'm obviously a fan of (well, IMHO, I've heard otherwise,) is a nice, warm sound. So, it should integrate well. There is only one on eBay at this time, currently at $80.00. If you say around $100 should be the price, I may make an offer on it. It appears barely used as described and comes w/ original box, etc. If that works, I'm in. Plus- maybe the mods down the road ; Nichicon and Rubican Blackgate are good components, it appears well made.

I use the Rotel with reasonably good equipment and both MM and MC cartridges. It doesn't have a stellar reputation, but it is a quite listenable, easily as good as the phono pre in the Sony TA2000F I used previously. It is certainly a quality build and has some real potential for improvement.

I did buy it with the intention of doing the mods after reading the Andy Grove/Hi-Fi World article about them. It seemed like a good way to leverage my spending into a considerably better unit than $100 usually buys. Four years later, I'm finally getting around to it with all but a few of the required parts in hand. I've posted recently to see if anyone has experience with the affect of the changes but got no reply. I'll post the details if it works out.

ART DJ PRE II sounds above its price point and is a bargain.
Yaqin MS-22B for tubes is a sweet little unit.
I ended up with both within the same week. No regrets.

Indeed the "Plummy bass" would be the Chinese tubes, so easy to fix with rolling.

If you looked at running a MC cart down the track you don't need to start from scratch, just need step-up transformers to use in combination with the Yaqin.

But for a good MC cart IMO you need to fork out a lot of $$$ anyway.

Another option is down in my sig, the Boozhound Labs kit, running off batteries It's very quiet, and being a J-fet fono, it has a nice full, warm sound.

How about this for those that have recommended the ART. May be new model? $79

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ART-USB-Pho...567?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3f139d1def

Assume it's the same basic preamp with additional features-- MC/MM, Monitor output & USB to add tracks to my Cowan J3 little monster digital/ portable solution (the Wolfson DAC's will make my analog transfers sing!

This may be a total solution for me? See- just takes a little help from friends....

Charles & a couple otyhers w/ the Cambridge solutions- love their stuff, but gonna take me quite a bit out of my price point. IF I had time to wait, maybe I could catch luck & find a used one for $100, but not gonna happen right now that I can see.....

Thanks. -GT

I picked the ART USB PhonoPlus v2 a few months ago, simply because I wanted a easy, brainless option for ripping vinyl to digital ... and also because so many AKers had raved about the "bang for your buck" factor of the DJ Pre II. I was curious, had a few extra bucks to spare (at the time it was $50) and I figured that I'd give it a try. I honestly didn't think I'd like it that much, but it hasn't been moved out of rotation since I got it. It simply has a nice, balanced sound.

The price does seem to fluctuate and I could have sworn that I saw it for $50 on Amazon just a couple weeks ago. Looks like it's $66 at B&H Photo, where I got mine. Might want to hold off and see if the price goes back down.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...NOPLUSV2_USBPhonoPlus_v2_Audio_Interface.html

One other thing - as far as I know it doesn't support MC carts.

OK-
Just got back from seeing the B52's in Miami. Once in a while I like a childhood flashback.
- So, I've decided DIY's are out. I'm opening a new business next week after sitting home three months waiting for permits and build-outs. So, no time.

- Re: the Cambridge units that have several recommendations: I would love one, really like the brand. But the prices showing in the PDF file link from burmashave (above) converted into $$ , today's prices, are not very accurate anymore, putting it out of my price range. (the 640 is now US $180) The 540 MAY be available for $100 or less, I'm still looking. dataphone convinced me that a MM cartridge is probably too expensive a proposition for now, I'll worry about it when the time comes. The Cambridge Azur 540 however may be the quietest preamp in that class. Another ++.

ONE MORE plea for help- not to get too far off track, but with my equipment, what cartridge am I looking for? I LOVE the Stanton 681EEE sound from days gone by; really enjoyed the warmth and nice low end. I just lost my second ebay try for a body only vintage (1980's) 681. Anything with a similar sound profile? If I can get an Ortofon Blue 2M like new for under $150, would that satisfy my "sound"? Better even? Recommendations? (+/- $150)

Thanks again. -GT

Never heard CA stuff, but the 640 is supposed to be noticeably better than the 540. However, people who have heard both tend to rate the VLP-S higher than the 640. At it's current Amazon choice of only $99 it would seem to be the obvious choice in that range, though you might want to do some research on it versus the ART.

goldwax,
You have the same TT basically as my new TD-145. How happy are you with the AT440 cartridge? Any issues with brightness? Anything you have heard better in that class on Thorens?
I'm going to visit the VLP-S again.
I AM BUYING a preamp before I go to bed!

Thanx!! -GT

Super happy with the AT-440MLa. On my third one now. I love how it lowers surface noise, minimizes IGD and tracks beautifully. No brightness to my ear, though I haven't heard much else. I've also tried the Denon DP-160, and honestly didn't notice a huge difference.

Last edited:
Thanks for that, golodwax. My quest continues for a nice, warm match for my TD-145.

AND, thanks to everybody's input for my search for a preamp. After studying and reading till 3AM, I decided on the Cambridge 640! Just too much good, positive info, can't find a lot of negatives. I looked carefully at everything else. Some of the boutique brands,. DIY's, and tube models look enticing, maybe even exciting. But I need to start with a known quantity with good track record, and weighing plusses and minuses from this board, etc., I went with Cambridge. Hopefully I can live with it for a while!

Now----I'll start a new thread later, I tried one but got totally overwhelmed and a bit confused.

I want a NICE, WARM sounding cartridge reminiscent of my 1980 Stanton 681EEE that is a good match with my new equipment- the Cambridge 640, Thorens TD-145, Rotel RSP-1066/ RMB-1075, Paradigm Studio 60's, SVS Sub.

Preferably, plug and play. I tried three times to bid/ find an old 681EEE body, it's tough and they bid up VERY quickly in nice shape. No money left for a nice stylus.

Budget, +/- $150. ANY ideas/ suggestions/ recommendations GREATLY appreciated!!

Thanks again Everyone!!

Gary

I want a NICE, WARM sounding cartridge reminiscent of my 1980 Stanton 681EEE that is a good match with my new equipment- the Cambridge 640, Thorens TD-145, Rotel RSP-1066/ RMB-1075, Paradigm Studio 60's, SVS Sub.

Preferably, plug and play. I tried three times to bid/ find an old 681EEE body, it's tough and they bid up VERY quickly in nice shape. No money left for a nice stylus.

Budget, +/- $150. ANY ideas/ suggestions/ recommendations GREATLY appreciated!!

Thanks again Everyone!!

Gary

Become a member and post a want to buy " Stanton 681EEE cartridge" in Barter Town.

Lots of member have this popular cartridge, some have more than one. :music:

I want a NICE, WARM sounding cartridge ....
Gary
Bob nailed it. Just get get as much Nagaoka as you can afford. They start at $100.
I guess you already made your decision tho since this thread is old.... what did you go with?

I used a Yaqin MS-12B for a number of years. Recapped, rolled tubes, thought it was great. Replaced it about a year ago with a Citation I. They're much, much closer in performance than the price would suggest.

ART DJ PRE II sounds above its price point and is a bargain.
Yaqin MS-22B for tubes is a sweet little unit.
I ended up with both within the same week. No regrets.
Ahem
I own an ART DJ PRE II and it is not as you say "sounds above its price point" It is noisy, have to turn it up well beyond what should be necessary to run even a Denon 103 cart, distortion generation box. In other words don't waste your coin on this disaster. You might as well grab the less expensive Behringer little rectangle and at least know your MM won't be subjected to the ART Buzz.

Some here have suggested a number of workable solutions and even a basic unit that with a little time, energy and a few alterations can be made to perform very well.

If you want a consistent although a bit uncolored phono-pre for little money that with a good sounding tube amp or quality ss amp try out the XPS-1 from Emotiva. At $149.00 it handles both MM and MC and you have several settings to choose from to match the cartridges. It can often be found for as low as $119.00 and that is a steal.

Is it in comparison to some one offs or some designs that people rave bout, no, but it is a good quality predictable phono-pre that works and will perform for a long time, built well and you can use until you decide on investing in a much better and MORE EXPENSIVE item to swap out.

I understood you asked for a pre-amp under $200 and that fits the request. Are there others yes, do they perform better compare them side by side and decide or buy something you know will work for both is easily switched for MM or MC in a few seconds and you know will do the job day in day out. It sounds fine but again it isn't a Monk nor does it cost $3,000.00 either.

Have fun and remember you are spending the money don't let someone else's ears dictate your decision alone, take it all in and think on it,

As Emotiva says if you don't like it return it so consider that if you can try it you may be satisfied and if not at least you had a chance to audition one of the best price point, reall performs above its price point little phono-pres you can get you hands on for well under your limit.

Hope that doesn't ruffle too many feathers but I know a lot of audiophiles and few really are satisfied for long. You want it to work and to work consistently, the XPS-1 does is predictable and it will work for your current budget and listening needs and remember you get MM & MC in one box!!!.

Cheers
Hermit

Back
Top Bottom