Decent DACs around $200

ericc129

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
I've never owned a standalone DAC. Just wondering if they would be better than my non vintahe receivers ive owned(most recently a Sony DH-1050, which coincidentally was so lacking that I've gone strictly to 2.0 or 2.1 with vintage or DIY for everything now)....if not for just a reference point. Ya see, I've also got this Aikido preamp that I want to feed and music aside, I figure a DAC will sound better than the analogue conversion my Vizio TV provides when watching TV and movies, etc. ..thanks for any input fellas

I would keep your eyes open for something like a Schiit Bifrost. An original model might fit within your budget.

Also, you can consider a high end but older DAC. As an example, I bought a Theta DS Pro Basic off BT for $150 IIRC. It was a $2000 DAC when new in 1990 or thereabouts and I think it sounds great, even though it's old. Some people buy old CD players as well, because they find the old DACs (TDA1541 for example) to sound better than a lot of the newer stuff.

I would post a WTB for a DAC with your budget in BT and I bet you'll get plenty of offers. Then research the model, look for old reviews, and see what you think.

The first Musical Fidelity V-Dac is a great one. Easily to be picked up at your budget second hand which can end up as a budget for a separate PSU. I don't know how the II version of it sounds, but I have compared the first one against bigger (as in more $$) DACs and it sounds darn good!

Plenty of used Cambridge DacMagics floating around and they are down to $200 Canadian here, should be less around you. Nothing warm or romantic about it but a good accurate DAC for the money. Better at co-ax or optical than USB however.

IME we would really need to know what resoulution material the OP is planing to be listening to.

If he's only concerned about 16/44.1 ~ 16/48 then there are some very good candidates in that price range.
If he plans to listen to higher resolution material then he'll probably want something newer.

My pick for 16/44.1 ~ 16/48 is usually the Parasound D/AC-1000 -or- D/AC-1100HD and/or the Adcom GDA-600.
The Parasound D/AC-1500 & D/AC-1600 and Adcom GDA-700 would too but they usually go for a bit more $$$ than the above units.

Also ^^^^ those ^^^^ units can usually be modded to handle up to 24/96 in most cases if need be.

Otherwise I'd just go ahead and pony up the additional $50.00 for the Schiit modi-multibit and get the higher resolution capabilities and call it a day.

JM2¢ ~ FWIW

Bret P.

the Musical Fidelity M1DAC is a nice unit and they are still available as used items.

Matrix DAC's are nice. Very well built and sound superb. Great features too. Try for a nice secondhand unit thats been looked after.

2017-03-13-10-06-56--877886158.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom