Dell mini 9 ??

Bradbrews

I've got an old Dell mini 9 notebook that's been gathering dust for quite some time.
It's got a 1.6GHz N270 Intel Atom Processor in it.
Does anybody know if this will be able to run Daphile or Volumino or something else on it to play from a USB attached hard drive (or networked drive) out another usb into a DAC?
Looks like it will only run 32 bit code.

Brad

I have a Gateway netbook with the same processor in it. I use it to run Linix Mint 18 and squeezelite and it does so without any hiccups. Your netbook should run Daphile easily but I think Volumino is for the Raspberry Pi only.

I've got an old Dell mini 9 notebook that's been gathering dust for quite some time.
It's got a 1.6GHz N270 Intel Atom Processor in it

I have a cheap, secondhand tablet with a similar spec that runs MusicBee very happily, accessing my NAS. It can stream via DLNA/WiFi or Bluetooth, and can provide a DLNA server, and be remotely controlled as a DLNA renderer. The headphone output isn't too rubbish, either.

I charged up the mini 9 and it seems to be working fine. Its running Ubuntu linux now, but only has an 8 gig SSD in it. I'm just barely able to follow all the PC acronyms being used here. Steep learning curve ahead!
I do have about 500 gig of lossless tunes in digital, as I've been ripping old vinyl and original cassettes to be able to burn CD's of them for a long time. I've always had a junker PC hooked to the stereo through an old M-Audio 24/96 Pci card. That gives me good sound, and I can play back everything, but I need to boot up the old Windows XP pc and pick the file to load and play. I also use the hard drive tunes a lot in my Ford, I can just plug the USB hard drive in and play it from SYNC, the built in interface. I'm hoping that with a little help here I can get a system that works with my iPhone instead of the old PC. That will also allow me to put it on the main system , vs. the second one in the basement where the XP PC lives, along with all the vinyl. (WAF came into play long ago, and the records got the boot to the basement) I have a Chrome Cast Audio upstairs but that didn't really work as good as hoped as I can't figure out how to send my own music to it, just streamed stuff, and I get the occasional drop out which just wrecks the whole experience. Even the XP PC never skips a beat, ever.

Back
Top Bottom