Denon DCD 1500 II questions

javajam12

I have a Denon 5 disc changer DCM 340 with 20bit Linear 8x oversample.
I would like to replace this with a single disc player. I am looking at a
local Denon DCD 1500 II. Does anyone know if this would be comparable
sounding player? Is it 20bit or 16bit? I have read many good reviews of
these Denon era players. I have also considered spending more to get a
nice NAD, Music Hall or Cambridge Audio player. I believe I could get one
of those units for around $400-500. I'm not nuts about spending the
extra cash and am thinking that if I can get an older good player for a
great price it would be the way to go. The reason I am going to a single
player is I don't really utilize the 5 disc changer anymore and it seems
like a good idea to get a better transport. The DCM 340 has been very
nice to use, sounds good and build quality is ok. Thought maybe the
older Denon may have a better transport and build quality but similar
if not better sound. Any comments? Thanks- Jon

I had a Denon DCD-1500 MkII. Nice follow up to the 1500. It's 16 bit dual BB dac 4x oversampling with a Sony digital filter chip. The older 1500 still had analog filtering. They improved construction with a better transport. It's also one of those rare birds that tells you if a disc has been recorded with "emphasis".

However, they are prone to problems. Mine had a sticky drawer. Seems the belts stretch with age. Also, it stopped reading discs after it warmed up. Had to get rid of it.

FWIW, none of those older players will sound anywhere near as good as any of the Cambridge units with 24/192 DACs. They're a lot more money, but unlike receivers, preamps and amps, CDPs are one area where the vintage units do NOT sound as good as new ones.

a good value in a vintage player is an Onkyo DX1800. It is an 18 bit dual dac 8X oversampling unit. They sound very good, you can buy one for around $20, and they use a Sony KSS-210A laser in it which you can buy for around $20 if the old one goes bad. They have a nice mechanism, mostly metal.

Is there any difference in sound between dcd 1500 and the 1500 mk2

I'm guessing the 1500 MK2 will have an edge sonically due to the digital filter. But, to be honest I've heard some great sounds out of the older players with brickwall analog filters. The Sony D-5 portable, for instance, sounds remarkably good to these ears, even today....

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom