denon DP-31L

Math

How much should I expect to pay for an 80's quartz direct drive denon dp-31L turntable with an upgraded signet cartridge (not sure what model)? The player looks to be in excellent shape. Would this be a better investment than an Audio-Technica AT-PL120? I'd probably upgrade the cartridge on the AT-PL120, but not anything crazy.

Thanks a lot!

Almost any vintage quartz direct drive is preferable to the AT-PL120. Quartz DD was Denon's specialty, so IMO this is a no brainer. I can't tell you what you'd expect to pay since that's based on the forces of the used market which vary from day to day. If you check on ebay, if you can find any, you can see what they're selling for or what they've sold for. But if your cost is equal to or less than the cost of a new AT, it's worth it.

Now as to the stylus, if it is not new, unless you are assured of its being decent or having low hours, it's worth nothing. Signets were decent cartridges, but you'll easily end up paying the cost of a new cartridge just to replace the stylus.

thanks for the reply, the asking price is 200 so I think i'll jump on it. I'll also try to find out about how much use the stylus has gotten. thanks again!

he told me not much, i guess he hasn't used it in over 20 years
Then you have to assume that you'll need a new stylus or cartridge. Even if the tip still has life, the cantilever suspension can stiffen or collapse with time. If the stylus turns out good, consider it a bonus. Cartridge bodies seldom go bad, but depending on what Signet it is, it just may end up being more prudent to get a whole new cartridge.

cool thank you. i also found a Hitachi HT-2 table for sale for 20 bucks. I tried to look them up but couldn't find any information, is this a deal or a waste of money?

Yes, for $20, the Hitachi is a better buy. It's direct drive, either full or semi-auto, not sure if it's quartz. Again, don't worry about the cartridge.

Once you settle on the table, the cartridge equation gets easier :)

The AT L120 is a good work horse table. It'll play 78's which the Denon or Hitachi might not? If you have no desire to spin 78's, the Denon is a nice table. I don't know, but have heard that the weak point is the tachometer strip on the underside of the platter. If it's damaged at all, you'll get speed problems. Which means if the platter has never been off you're OK. If it's been messed with, that's the place to look.

Have no knowledge about the Hitachi.

Have fun and let us know what you end up with :)

Thanks for the info. I got the seller down to 160 on the denon and haven't heard from the hitachi guy, it isn't looking too good though because he didn't even attach his email to his posting. Do you have any suggestions as to what I should get for a new stylus were I to go with the denon? I'm still relatively new to all this and have only been playing records on a crappy sony player. I'd like something relatively inexpensive but still solid.

In my opinion $160.00 is WAY too much for that table. Hell I bought my DP-35F for $50.00 and it was in perfect condition. It's not a bad table but it is way overpriced.

yeah, i thought with all the people looking to get rid of decent turntables at low prices nowadays this was kindof a rip

Back
Top Bottom