Denon DP-35f issues

mrbiggle

Hi everyone! New here, and new to turntables.

I just bought a used TT from the local thrift store, 50$. I was told it worked, but they did not have it hooked up in the store to verify. I brought it home, and hooked it up to my Yamaha receiver.

Issue #1-It appears to turn on however when the start button is pressed nothing happens, yes the lock mechanism has been unlocked. I can lift the arm and manually move it over the record, and as soon as the arm clears the arm stand the record begins to spin. Pressing the stop button does not return the arm to the dock. I have noticed if I clear the arm from the dock it will move toward the table but it does not lift up and just bumps into the table. Pressing stop does move it toward the dock, but again it does not lift.

Issue #2- I can get sound by manually placing the needle on the record. But, it appears the arm is "too heavy" and as the needle gets closer to the center it seems to apply more pressure and begins to rub on the record, not good I am sure...

Issue #3- The sound that is produced is very "weak". Meaning I have to turn the volume to 0 db just to get decent sound level. Normal listening level would be around -35db when using itunes/airplay. I have tried about 10 different records and all of them play at the same level.

I do not have a manual for this device, as it did not come with one. Also, I have no experience with these devices and wasn't really wanting a project, so is it worth keeping or should I take it back?
Thanks in advance.

Let's deal with #3 first.

Does your receiver have a Phono input? If you don't have one you need to get a Phono preamplifier and run the turntable to that and then to a DVD, CD, Tape or Aux input. If you are going direct to an input like that, the volume will be very low and the quality will not be good.

As for 2, and other issues you should get the manual. Vinyl Engine should have it. You need to sign up but it's free. You might simply have the tonearm set with too much tracking force.

There is also a sticky thread at the top of this forum with tips and tricks including a basic setup video link.

You might not want a project, but you should at least do some study. :)

STOP! You are probably going to destroy a good MC cartridge. These TT's are very complex and are not made to learn on. All of these problems are common with OLD Denon TT's.
You need to find a local AKer that knows the DP series Denon's. My reason for not recommending a repair shop, is that, many will not be qualified to work on it and may cause damage. This is a very nice TT do not screw it up. I picked up a $40 automatic at a thrift and it had a $200 cart in it on good shape. These TT's are very expensive to repair, but very worth it IMO.

STOP! You are probably going to destroy a good MC cartridge. These TT's are very complex and are not made to learn on. All of these problems are common with OLD Denon TT's.
You need to find a local AKer that knows the DP series Denon's. My reason for not recommending a repair shop, is that, many will not be qualified to work on it and may cause damage. This is a very nice TT do not screw it up. I picked up a $40 automatic at a thrift and it had a $200 cart in it on good shape. These TT's are very expensive to repair, but very worth it IMO.

Looks like the cartridge is an AudioTechna AT81E, is that any good?

Let's deal with #3 first.

Does your receiver have a Phono input? If you don't have one you need to get a Phono preamplifier and run the turntable to that and then to a DVD, CD, Tape or Aux input. If you are going direct to an input like that, the volume will be very low and the quality will not be good.

As for 2, and other issues you should get the manual. Vinyl Engine should have it. You need to sign up but it's free. You might simply have the tonearm set with too much tracking force.

There is also a sticky thread at the top of this forum with tips and tricks including a basic setup video link.

You might not want a project, but you should at least do some study. :)

It looks like my receiver does not have a phono input, it does have a MD/CD-R input, but I am not sure what that one is for. I think I will go back to the thrift store and check out the other stuff that was brought in with this TT. It looked like there was a couple old tape players with one CD combo, a stereo unit, and one other unit that I wasn't sure what it was. Hopefully one of those is the preamplifier that I will need.

Looks like the cartridge is an AudioTechna AT81E, is that any good?

It's ok but nothing special. A new stylus can be bought for that for under $30 or the cartridge replaced for not much more $$.

https://www.thevoiceofmusic.com/cat...ameNeedles&MfgName=Audio+Technica&Categories=
It looks like my receiver does not have a phono input, it does have a MD/CD-R input, but I am not sure what that one is for. I think I will go back to the thrift store and check out the other stuff that was brought in with this TT. It looked like there was a couple old tape players with one CD combo, a stereo unit, and one other unit that I wasn't sure what it was. Hopefully one of those is the preamplifier that I will need.

The MD/CD-R (Mini Disc) input is just like all your others. They are called line level so you need a separate Phono preamp. Chances are they don't have one at that store but go ahead and check. It will be a small box with at least 2 sets of RCA jacks on it (input and output), about the size of your phone or the box it came in.

If they don't have it you can get one for about $20 and up.

Thanks for the reference to download a manual. Looking at the stylus force adjustment section it says to balance the stylus arm parallel to the TT in the area between the lock station and the TT. This is done by adjusting the counterweight. Even with the counterweight all the way out it doesn't seem to have enough weight to lift the head of the arm into a parallel position. Any suggestions?

Two wraps of #10 solid copper wire around the counterweight should get you in range. Some AT carts are a bit heavy, I had to use some lead solder on my AT 15sa to get it to balance. Did you follow the Denon instructions, power has to be off when you balence the arm. You should not need the added weight on the Denon.

Some thoughts...

Is it possibly that the stylus is toast? If it does not have enough rigidity then I could see why the cartridge would just rub on the record.

The concerning issue is that the arm will not raise when the 'start' or 'up' buttons are pressed. It doesn't even sound like anything engages to attempt lifting the arm. Does this unit have a motor that drives it or just some mechanism attached to the main drive?

Thanks again!

Some thoughts...

Is it possibly that the stylus is toast? If it does not have enough rigidity then I could see why the cartridge would just rub on the record.

The concerning issue is that the arm will not raise when the 'start' or 'up' buttons are pressed. It doesn't even sound like anything engages to attempt lifting the arm. Does this unit have a motor that drives it or just some mechanism attached to the main drive?

Thanks again!
If it's anything like my Denon DP-33F, your DP-35F uses a separate motor to drive the tonearm. In the case of my DP-33F, I press the Size knob (which doubles as the Start button, for some unknown reason), the arm lifts off the post, and the platter starts to spin a moment later as the arm starts to move towards the platter. I'm not sure if they used some sort of belt between the motor and tonearm, but I wouldn't be surprised. If so, it probably needs to be replaced by this point. Good luck!
-Adam
dp33f_1.jpg

Thanks for the reference to download a manual. Looking at the stylus force adjustment section it says to balance the stylus arm parallel to the TT in the area between the lock station and the TT. This is done by adjusting the counterweight. Even with the counterweight all the way out it doesn't seem to have enough weight to lift the head of the arm into a parallel position. Any suggestions?
If more weight is really required try 'Blu-tac '.

Back
Top Bottom