Deoxit and CT-F850

Jim H B

I'm introducing my son to vintage audit, and we started by cleaning up a HK 330c receiver. We used Deoxit to clean up the pots, and my son thought it was pretty cool. So, I'm looking for some other simple things to do with him.

I have a Pioneer CT-F850 deck that I've never opened up. Where would you use Deoxit on a cassette deck? Would be ok to treat treat all of the controls, ie, play, ff, rewind? Also, any switches and pots for input level, etc?

Is there any other lubrication that should be done? (other than internal lube on the motor - I'm not ready to tackle that yet).

Also, do you think that changing the belts would be pretty straight-forward?

Thanks for any advice

The record switch is an important one to clean...too often this gets noisy and causes all kinds of problems.

The record switch(s) are about 2-3 inches long and 1/4 by 1/4 inch square. There are usually a couple of places to spray the deoxit. Work the controls well. Be careful not to get cleaner on any of the mechanical parts of the transport i.e. wheels,tires,belts and clutches. Replacing belts is probably a good idea. You can get belts from Bob at Vintage Electronics. Have fun. Great hobby for brinning you guys together. My son is 30 and we are still at it.

It's a pretty cool hobby to share, and in the scheme of things, if you pick up pieces on the cheap, pretty inexpensive.

Thanks for the tips

Back
Top Bottom