Deoxit grease. Do we have a use for it

BobHol

Old fart
https://caig.com/deoxit-grease-landing/

I saw an ad for this product this morning and wondered if the vintage audio community had a use for it. Deoxit is a product that a lot of us use for cleaning electrical contacts, The info on their site doesn't seem to be pointed at consumer electronics, but I suspect there's people here who will try anything ;)

I got a container of their Deoxit L260 with copper particles from them. I used it on automotive battery terminals. From the description of what you saw, it looks like their preparation would take up for most lithium based lubricants.

I agree with you, though. Deoxit (in my mind) is more synonymous with electronic cleaners/oxidation reduction. This looks like they're branching into a family of lubricants. First thing I think of is a substitute for Lubriplate used on drum brakes. (Audio related; maybe on tuner string pointer channels or rotational dials. On the bearings of tunable capacitors, any metal to metal thing.)

I have used the L260D and I think its a great product. I’ve used it on power plug connections (IEC and wall plugs), interconnects, and on the contact surfaces of mechanical rotary switches. I do this after throughly cleaning the surfaces first with electrical cleaner. The key is to use a very conservative amount of the grease. I use a q-tip and just get a surface film on the contact surfaces. Being a grease it can collect dust and dirt so I use it very sparingly.

I look forward to seeing how the product works in the long term. I am especially optimistic about the rotary switch health in some of my vintage Yamaha products over time as they historically can get a little flakey if not cleaned on a regular basis. So far so good.

I’ve also used it on some car battery terminals with good results but there are cheaper products that work just as well.

We could use on antenna connections, speaker connections, RCA connections... You just need to be very minimalist with it so as not to cross connect.I used some form of their grease on my external antenna and cable connections.
. Deoxit (in my mind) is more synonymous with electronic cleaners/oxidation reduction. This looks like they're branching into a family of lubricants.
My dad worked with high voltage telephone equipment for many years and they used copious amounts of Deoxit conductive grease. He went through more in a year than the amount of cleaning fluids most of us will use in our lifetime. They aren't branching out, simply continuing on.

Ok, I can see rotary selector switches.... What about a old noisy pot? How do you apply it and can you get into tight areas? Maybe a light coat on tube pins? I've had great luck with Deoxit, how would this find uses in audio?

Ok, I can see rotary selector switches.... What about a old noisy pot? How do you apply it and can you get into tight areas? Maybe a light coat on tube pins? I've had great luck with Deoxit, how would this find uses in audio?

Forgot that I’ve also used it on tube pins. I use a Q tip and wipe off all the excess. On tube pins I use just enough that you can feel the surface is slippery but you can’t really see the grease.

Back
Top Bottom