Depressing Movies

"GET OUT"

A one sided movie about futuristic slavery of black people by modern western society. Does not actually address slavery of people in many ethnic groups from past into the future as it did black people. Severely opinionated movie....

The Vanishing (1988). The original Dutch version. Not the Hollywood remake from 1993.

How did my lover die? Maybe you don't want to know.

Schindler's List. One of the best films ever, imo, but I watched it recently, and it just shows where Europe is headed (once again) with the whole refugee "crisis", and the ruling discourse about refugees and immigrants from all but the outermost left parties.
Here's to hoping that a new, larger, generation of Schindlers will do the right thing, when the time comes :beerchug:

Could not watch the last bit of "Where The Red Fern Grows". Liking dogs the way I do...just couldn't finish it. :( "Old Yeller" is a close second. As a kid, this movie stayed with me for years. Soft spot for animals, I guess?

Q

Saving Private Ryan. The best movie I will not ever watch again.

Try reading "D Day" by Ambrose. It makes the movie look like a stroll in the park, sad to say. Some of the interviews/stats in his novel will stun you! They did me.

Q

Pretty much any home movie showing you when you were young ...

Also Still Alice ... a good and extremely depressing view of Alzheimer's from the afflicted's point of view.

The Mist, hardly a 'good' movie but having done the book on tape I wasn't ready for the movie ending.

Depressing??? This movie made me angry! It was so illogical. The movie and the characters broke their own logic! Why would the main character, the hero, up to that point, do what he did? He risked his life, earlier in the film, in order to get medicine for a stranger, but at the end, you're expected to believe he won't now risk his life again to save friends and family? Too afraid to siphon gas, in order to save people, when he'd just passed vehicle after abandoned vehicle???!!!??? Sorry, but that movie was a farce. I won't watch The Mist again, though it has nothing to do with the movie being 'depressing'. The only depressing thing was that I lost 2 hours and 6 minutes of my life watching it. It stunk. IMHO. :cool::D

Last edited:
Requiem For A Dream. Things don't turn out well for ANYONE in that movie. Well, Jennifer Connolly's character got her drugs, but at quite the price.

Profoundly depressing movie, spiraling all the way down to rock-bottom for everyone concerned.

Also - I cannot believe that nobody has mentioned House of Sand and Fog yet. That is yet another profoundly, unrelentingly, really depressing movie. Well acted all the way around and well shot, but an abysmally depressing ending.

Another movie with a very depressing ending is one I saw as a teenager, Biscuit Eater. Made me cry then, and I have not been able to watch it since.

Ever watched a good movie that was so depressing that you will never watch it again?

For me it was Who's Life is it Anyway? (1981) .... staring Richard Dreyfuss ... great script ... great acting performances and I'll be damned if ever watch it again.

Any movies hit you that way?
Man, I remember going to that movie expecting to see a "zany Richard Dreyfess" movie, the type that he seemed to be getting close to being typecast at the time. At some point in the movie, I realized that a veritable rogue wave of a depressing movie had smashed into my psyche. My feelings about the movie were Exactly like yours. IMHO, root canal before I'd watch that again. I keep meaning to check IMDB.COM, but I've always felt that it killed his career. Phew! Thanks for enabling me to get the memory of that movie off my chest

Yep, Brian's Song" and "Love Story" used to roll around, annually, to crush anyone's spirit that was too happy back in the '70's.... I think the idea was for the hippies to feel remorse
Holy cow how could I forget Love Story.
The end all of depressing flicks. I can hear that funeral march they call The Theme From Love Story, now.
Make it stop!

Holy cow how could I forget Love Story.
The end all of depressing flicks. I can hear that funeral march they call The Theme From Love Story, now.
Make it stop!
Lol, misery loves company PS, how does Cher's "Greatest" sound on your Killer Rig?

Back
Top Bottom