Design Acoustics PS-10 for $60.00

archie2

Addicted Member
I saw a pair of Design Acoustics PD-10 speakers for sale in a thrift shop for $60. Work fine so they say but I have not heard them. Any opinions as to whether this is a good deal or no? Thanks for any opinions.

The DA PS-10 was the top model of the "point source" series made shortly after Design Acoustics, maker of my (in)famous dodecahedrons, was bought out. The quality isn't near as high as with the original D-series, but as many of the same people were still there at the time the earlier PS speakers represent a residue of quality.

Soundwise, they're supposed to be surprisingly good for what they are and were fairly well reviewed. To that end, I've the Stereo Review of this model available at my Design Acoustics Yahoo! Group. Ak member corporalcripp has a pair and may be able to give you more specifics about the sound.

As to the price, $60 is fairly high for thrift store pricing, but still about half of what you'd expect to pay for a pair on eBay and you get to avoid the hazards of shipping. You should be aware that these have a down-firing 10" woofer that almost certainly has suffered from foam rot by now. Here's the specs on this model I've been able to locate:
Model: PS-10
Frequency Response: 48 Hz - 22000 Hz
Sensitivity: 90 dB/1 meter/watt @ 8 ohms
Driver Complement: 1 x 10" woofer, 1 x 5" mid, 1 x 1 1/8" poly dome tweeter Cabinet Style: Bookshelf
Dimensions/Weight: 14"x11"x13.75" 23.75 lbs
List Price: $500/pr
Crossover Frequencies: 190 Hz, 2400 Hz
Manufactured: 1983 - ?

- JP

Last edited:
Charivari said:
Have I become so predictable? :scratch2: :)

- JP

Perhaps not, but you might just be the only living expert on those speakers in the whole wide world. :D
Jorge

I forgot I had a pair of these..! I had to replace the foam on the woofers. I love the way they look with the grill off. I also like the foam that covers the front of the cabinet. The mids and highs are GREAT, but I was a bit dissapointd with the low end. Maybe I need to break in the new foam.

Go to the Thrift store and see if the woofers have Foam Rot, If they do, point it out to the employees. They may be able lower the price!!! Works almost every time for me.

Thanks for the quick and valuable replies gents. However I need to clarify that price. These are up for auction in the Goodwill Thrift Shop in Grandville, MI. The current bid is $6.00, shipping to my place adds $51.00. If the 10" woofers surrounds are shot, I'll pass. However the discription with then claims all is good. But they are sight unseen. I have no idea what the final bid will be so this is very very iffy. If they were an exceptional speaker I would pursue it. So if anybody lives in or near Grandville and wants a look-see, I will be happy to send you the auction post.

I saw the same auction, in fact I am watching it now. I have family up there! There is also a set here locally, but the guy won't budge on the price!!! I'll try again this weekend... I like these, they have possibilities.

HomerJSimpson said:
The mids and highs are GREAT, but I was a bit dissapointd with the low end. Maybe I need to break in the new foam.

I would mess with placement and different rooms. I had Charivaris Design Acoustics here at my house which has a rear firing woofer and with my hard wood floors, 3' rock back wall and room size I found the bass very tight and full, very modern sounding almost like a sub / sat system but in a good way. He finds them lacking in bass in his setting so I think placement and room acoustics have a lot to do with these speakers. His had the original stands and that's what I used when I set them up here. I was driving them with a Pioneer SX-1010.

I once saw a pair of these at a thrift near me. The woofer's foam was rotted, indeed. It's hard to see, because it's down-firing and a wood base prevents you from visually inspecting the surround. It would be easy for someone clueless to honestly think they were 100% OK and advertise them as such, when in fact they were rotted.

Thanks,

-Ed

hifi_nut said:
Perhaps not, but you might just be the only living expert on those speakers in the whole wide world. :D
Jorge
Well, everyone needs at least one lost cause to adopt.

HomerJSimpson said:
I saw the same auction, in fact I am watching it now. I have family up there! There is also a set here locally, but the guy won't budge on the price!!! I'll try again this weekend... I like these, they have possibilities.
These speakers do roll-off by 48 Hz, so of course you're not going to rock the room. DA did produce a matching subwoofer to go with these PS-series speakers, the PS-LF.

kfa888 said:
I would mess with placement and different rooms. I had Charivaris Design Acoustics here at my house which has a rear firing woofer and with my hard wood floors, 3' rock back wall and room size I found the bass very tight and full, very modern sounding almost like a sub / sat system but in a good way. He finds them lacking in bass in his setting so I think placement and room acoustics have a lot to do with these speakers. His had the original stands and that's what I used when I set them up here. I was driving them with a Pioneer SX-1010.
You're welcome to borrow them indefinitely, I need to free up the space. Funny, but I really like those stands, nice, hefty, and attractive. It's also nice to have one of the very rare sets of original stands.

- JP

Last edited:
Man I am going to have to give those a listen again because I found them to be quite bassfull. I will concede that they were "one frequency wonders" due I'm sure to their ported design but I do like the frequency they picked. Sweet highs also which I found surprising due to the design being a simple paper cone.

What are you guys powering them with?

got an old pair two years ago for about the same price ($60). my impression is it works well with amps rated below 100wpc and should be placed on stable ground, or heavy table, to get more solid bass.

some photos:

Charivari said:
These speakers do roll-off by 48 Hz, so of course you're not going to rock the room. DA did produce a matching subwoofer to go with these PS-series speakers, the PS-LF.
- JP
The PS-LF may have been sold separately at some point but it was originally sold as part of the PS-30 sub/sat system. It had a dual voice coil 12" down firing woofer, and the PS-5 satellites had the same 1" soft dome tweeter and 5" midrange as the PS-10 in much smaller enclosures (~11x7x5).

I managed to get ahold of a former DA dealer a few months back who sold the PS series of speakers. According to him, they sold the PS-LF as an accessory for the earlier PS series. It could be that it was an integral part of the PS-30 system. Sadly, this sort of information is difficult to come by, so there's big holes in what I've on my Yahoo! group and surely more than a few incongruities. With a total of 18 members, I find it hard to summon the energy to continue researching these speakers and build a knowledge base to be viewed by none.

- JP

JP,
I have the sales brochures for the DA-30, PS-30, PS-8 and PS-10, and owners manuals for the PS-8 and 10. If you're interested I could scan them for you. It'll be at least a few days before I can get to it, let me know if you want them.
George

I love my PS-10a speakers!

I passed on an eight dollar pair of these at a thrift today. I'm an idiot, right?

Well, it's a missed opportunity, at least. I've had a pair of PS-10a speakers for two years and absolutely love 'em. The down-firing woofer is brilliant. Music just comes alive. For the size (and used prices), I don't think there are many comparable speakers available.

Many thanks, Charivari, for your posts, uploads, Yahoo group, and HiFi museum page (http://www.hifi-museum.com/pa/da/da_index_fs.htm )!!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom