Design Acoustics PS-10a - (AKA If at first you don't succeed, buy, buy, again)

A cheap, easy and reversible trick is to install taller standoffs between the enclosure and the base plate under the woofer, it seemed to smooth out the bottom end a bit in my opinion, YMMV.
I

There wasn't a plastic rim around the woofer. Only the remainder of the foam and glue.

Anyone have a pic of the rim?
Hey Bob,
My old thread link has a pic of the woofer reinstalled with the plastic trim ring. I noticed yours are later versions, with the surrounds glued to the top of the cones, mine were glued to the backsides, with different cones and dust caps.
Too bad about the tweeter but you’ll get it sorted out, and they show up on fleabay. I agree that a recap couldn’t hurt either. I didn’t replace mine because the mids and highs were very good.
I found the bass much stronger when positioned close the the walls.
Great speakers and nice work on the refoams.

@GD70 your thread was a big help regarding the re-foam. Very happy with the sound (except for the one tweeter). Very impressed with the design of these. Suspected the downward firing woofer was a gimmick, but it works quite well.

I'm looking forward to using them in an office or small room once i get things sorted out.

@GD70 your thread was a big help regarding the re-foam. Very happy with the sound (except for the one tweeter). Very impressed with the design of these. Suspected the downward firing woofer was a gimmick, but it works quite well.

I'm looking forward to using them in an office or small room once i get things sorted out.
Glad you found it helpful. They will sound great no matter what room you place them in!

So, after further review, it looks like everything is fine, except for my Marantz 2015.

I pulled the tweeters and they both tested fine. Seems like there is a channel imbalance with the Marantz. It was a $5 rummage find, so it's probably due for a good cleaning.

Really enjoying these speakers at the moment and probably won't booger with them anymore. Right now they are parked in front of the JBL 100s. Will goof around with placement later, including nearer to the wall. Stands are 16" high and sound good for seated listening.

47214171111_21966bd078_k.jpg

So, after further review, it looks like everything is fine, except for my Marantz 2015.

I pulled the tweeters and they both tested fine. Seems like there is a channel imbalance with the Marantz. It was a $5 rummage find, so it's probably due for a good cleaning.

Really enjoying these speakers at the moment and probably won't booger with them anymore. Right now they are parked in front of the JBL 100s. Will goof around with placement later, including nearer to the wall. Stands are 16" high and sound good for seated listening.

47214171111_21966bd078_k.jpg
Keep in mind with their current position, the L100's grills and woofers are interacting with the PS-10's because of the 360 degree woofer sound dispersion. You're be much better off positioning them where the JBLs are and move the JBLs to another room for now and see how good the PS-10's really are.

Moved the speakers upstairs and hooked them up to the tube rig. Also placed them close to the wall.

40477921883_f3d984d7e5_k.jpg

Man, these things punch above their weight class! Amp is a 14 watt Dynaco st-35. Bass is full and tight. Treble seems a little hot, but that might be the AT cart on the TT.

So glad to have taken a chance on these.

Moved the speakers upstairs and hooked them up to the tube rig. Also placed them close to the wall.

40477921883_f3d984d7e5_k.jpg

Man, these things punch above their weight class! Amp is a 14 watt Dynaco st-35. Bass is full and tight. Treble seems a little hot, but that might be the AT cart on the TT.

So glad to have taken a chance on these.
Yeah, they were a great design. I always wondered why they never made a PS-"12" with a larger cab and 12 inch woofer.
Cheers, Glenn

During a recent thrift visit, I picked up a pair of Design Acoustic PS-10a speakers.

Here's the Salvation Army price tag - note the date of 4-8-17 and price of $19.96 (1pc).

32198943217_f9700ef6ca_z.jpg

Since the speakers are an unique design, I was interested, but not at $40 for the pair, especially since the woofers were rotted.

At this point, I realized that I was in Goodwill, not Salvation Army. Apparently, these speakers were a "catch and release" and ended up being re-donated to Goodwill.

Hmmm - what to do? No way to test and someone else gave up on them. Additionally, they only had the SA price tag - no Goodwill price.

I took them to the cashier and pointed out the SA tag. She gave me the pair for $6.99...
The kicker is that I am certain I saw these same speakers over a year ago when they were at SA and passed because of the price. Never say never....

Here's some pics. The drivers all work and I have the grills. The foam on the woofers is completely shot. My listening test showed promise, so I will refoam and post progress here.

46416915894_6f91205173_k.jpg

40175727653_9703872f70_k.jpg

46416915514_b0a677beb4_k.jpg
Their tagline in their advertisment when they were new was," Give us a foot and we'll give you a concert." .I sold them at Highland Superstore when they were in production back around 1988. I also purchased a pair of these at a Salvation Army back in 2007, and that pair had the exact same problem as your pair does. Hope you can find either new bass driver's or a surround foam kit for them.

I bought a pair of these new and ran them for years. I'd recommend you get them off of the stands - especially in that room with a wood floor. You'll be amazed at the improvement in bass. It's definitely a trade-off with the lower soundstage, but you should at least try it. I had mine in a carpeted room for most of their life, but ripped out the carpet in preparation for new carpet, and seriously considered leaving the floor bare when I heard the PS-10s sitting directly on a hard surface!
Maybe everyone knows this, but it hasn't been mentioned, so just FYI - Design Acoustics was a division of Audio Technica. I still have a 12" Design Acoustics passive sub in my HT rig that shakes the house.

Back
Top Bottom