Devil in the details

beanoil

That's not how this works
Reading back through posts in this forum, I see the progression of folks putting together PC's to serve up or play music. That dust has settled out for the most part, the software and processes for loading Linux or Windows is fairly well documented and straight forward.
The selections for music players and jukebox software has become almost endless. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_audio_player_software
If you are running Windows, I've come to believe there are some advantages to tweeking the software toward being more music friendly. I did the whole series of mods described here https://www.petri.com/optimize-windows-8-digital-audio and was happy with the results.
Read up on Fidelizer over the holiday weekend, and while on the surface it seems almost viral (no installer, makes mods to the OS behind a curtain, mysterious) I figured after reading so many positive comments to try it. I undid all the Petri tweeks, and downloaded the free Fidelizer, ran it in the second level mode of Audiophile. At the end of it's run, it asks what music player you want to use, and I pointed it toward JRiver.
The results, while not earth shattering, are noticeable. Midrange is slightly enhanced, bass got deeper, somewhat punchier, again, nothing major, but you can hear a difference. I found it harmless to the OS, it must be run at each reboot to mod the OS services, if not run, you are right back where you started before.
I don't have any affiliation, but think that if you haven't tried it, you should. It could be that one last thing that you are looking for. It's free, and worth a try.
I'll likely be making a purchase of the pro version before it's over.

Hey Beanoil, thanks for the link to that Petri article. A bit dated but implemented some of the tweaks. Wasn't aware of Gismo, the JRiver DLNA interface through a browser. Pretty cool.

So, are you still using Fidelizer? Any additional feedback over the years?

Last edited:
Hey Beanoil, thanks for the link to that Petri article. A bit dated but implemented some of the tweaks. Wasn't aware of Gismo, the JRiver DLNA interface through a browser. Pretty cool.

So, are you still using Fidelizer? Any additional feedback over the years?
Beanoil, hasn`t been on A/K since 1/1/22 according to his profile stats, SimplySound, Sir.
Just thought you might wish to be aware, if not.

Thanks, saw that... people bounce in and out, so hopefully he'll show up someday. Hope all is well with Beanoil! :thumbsup:
FWIW, I out of curiousness, looked into the Fidelizer software yesterday, and downloaded it and its pdf manual, but it will be sometime before I have a chance to install and experiment with it, because I `m getting ready to FUNCTION swap the (2) 24/7/365 operating different Gateway laptops to see if I can improve the existing 8 Gig. memory maxed out large amount of WAV. ripped music, local NWS radar loop, and USB based connected computer external oscilloscope in use one, for this later Gateway that has been 16 Gig. memory maxed after I upgrade it`s 350 Gig SSD to a 1 Terabyte SSD and transfer various programs, pictures, drivers, favorites, etc. from one to the other in the shortest time possible.

If you go to the "Fidelizer`s site and download the free version`s software, with it`s pdf manual you can read about it`s function and settings without installing it on your machine to look into trying to understand what it does to maybe consider tying to use it later on.

Back
Top Bottom