Tubeglowpio

Hey everyone, I've built a couple tube amps in the past but finally ended up pulling the trigger on building a dgse1 since I've heard mostly good things and love the sound of the maggie 8601 I suped up. I changed a few things from the schematic but mostly just the power supply to adjust the voltage from my power transformer that I already had and make it less ripple. I have the gx series edcor outputs and wonder if anyone has tried the circuit in ultra linear? I'm most like just going to add a switch to go between but wonder if anyone has done this? This amp is for my dad so I don't have much time to mess with it after I'm done building it in the next week or so. Here is a pic of how it's going so far, most of the chassis work is done.0422180943.jpg 0422180943.jpg 0422180942d.jpg 0422180942f.jpg

Nice looking build!

What is the function of the gold colored ring like "cages" around the two tubes?

makes them look nice, shielding, noise (micro-phonic) reduction?

I have seen these on "fancy" high priced amplifiers.

Thanks!

Mark T. :music:

Nice looking build!

What is the function of the gold colored ring like "cages" around the two tubes?

Thanks!

Thanks, I'm finishing up finals this week so haven't had time to finish it but should post more pics in a week or two. The cages are for looks and to protect the tubes a bit. Prob wouldn't do much for shielding with the gaps. I wanted something else gold on top since faceplate and binding posts are gold as well. I was going for that hifi look on a budget.

Thanks, I'm finishing up finals this week so haven't had time to finish it but should post more pics in a week or two. The cages are for looks and to protect the tubes a bit. Prob wouldn't do much for shielding with the gaps. I wanted something else gold on top since faceplate and binding posts are gold as well. I was going for that hifi look on a budget.
Using the UL taps off the Edcors is an easy thing to hookup with a switch. If you use an on/on switch and have a G2 supply as well you can switch from one to the other. I personally think Pentode mode sounds a little better.

Using the UL taps off the Edcors is an easy thing to hookup with a switch. If you use an on/on switch and have a G2 supply as well you can switch from one to the other. I personally think Pentode mode sounds a little better.
I have a black mini bat dpdt (on,on) for this. I figured ill let my dad decide which one he likes then I'm sure he will just leave it. I basically told him that once its set up he only needs to touch the vol knob and power switch on the front. I told him I would check the bias every so often for him or switch out different tubes if he wants but I don't think he will care to do that. I told him to never remove the speakers or flip that switch while its on.

Nice looking build!

Thanks!

those are just tube guards. It is designed to make your amp look prettier than those amps without it. Since they will get hot and still allow little fingers to touch the tube they are not really designed to make an amp child proof. They don't touch the tubes at all so not really for resonance reduction. Chinese amps use them a lot to draw your eyes away from the spec sheet which is what? not really available? But oh those pretty gold thingys and nice shiny chrome thingys , wow, i need that! What do i need a schematic for!
PS. sorry for the sarcasm. I was just making jabs at the cheap sino stereos, not PIO's nice hand built amp using USA made parts! In this case it adds a personal touch. Please don't take offense pio!

Last edited:
those are just tube guards. It is designed to make your amp look prettier than those amps without it. Since they will get hot and still allow little fingers to touch the tube they are not really designed to make an amp child proof. They don't touch the tubes at all so not really for resonance reduction. Chinese amps use them a lot to draw your eyes away from the spec sheet which is what? not really available? But oh those pretty gold thingys and nice shiny chrome thingys , wow, i need that! What do i need a schematic for!
PS. sorry for the sarcasm. I was just making jabs at the cheap sino stereos, not PIO's nice hand built amp using USA made parts! In this case it adds a personal touch. Please don't take offense pio!
None taken, I agree with your points. Normally don't use them myself especially because I like to tube roll. I figured my dad will never care to switch tubes and the color scheme was gold and black for this amp so it helped even that out. Thanks again for helping me decide which circuit to use.

None taken, I agree with your points. Normally don't use them myself especially because I like to tube roll. I figured my dad will never care to switch tubes and the color scheme was gold and black for this amp so it helped even that out. Thanks again for helping me decide which circuit to use.
So, those tube guards are screw on affairs? That does make it harder to change out tubes but not a huge problem. I am sure it will sound just as good as it looks when its done.

So, those tube guards are screw on affairs? That does make it harder to change out tubes but not a huge problem. I am sure it will sound just as good as it looks when its done.
Yeah, they have 3 small hex keys on the top, not too bad since it's only for 2 tubes. Would maybe take about 5 minutes or less to change out the pair. I'll post the results and listening impressions soon, I'm building a full range Tang band speaker to go along with it.

Back
Top Bottom