Dial glass cleaning: 1960s McIntosh tube tuners and tube tuner preamps

monkboughtlunch

My MX110 has 50 years of haze built up on the inner glass (i.e. the side of glass with the lettering).

For folks that have either a MX110, MR67, MR71, or MR65B etc, what approach have you used to effectively clean the side of the glass with dial lettering?

Given that I've read that the dial lettering can be fragile, I wanted to get a number of different perspectives before I tackle this.

I've done several. You really have to be careful. If the lettering on the glass is sharp and crisp white in color, it's in pretty good shape. A dry microfiber cloth is ideal, but I rarely find that works sufficiently. You almost always need a bit of liquid to remove the schmutz and get the glass looking new. For that, I've always sprayed a conservative amount of 409 on the towel and very carefully cleaned both sides of the glass. It's impossible to do this and not contact the lettering. Proceed slowly and buff the liquid off as you go to keep reapplication to a minimum.

OTOH, if the lettering has browned, like from sun exposure, it'll come right off the glass before you realize it's happened. So use your judgement and don't be in a hurry. Better to discover that on one of the corners versus right in the middle of the scale.

Cleaning off the rear of the glass faceplate is equally as important. Before you attempt that, you should look closely at the weatherstripping. If it's all dry rotted, it's simple to knock bits of it off accidentally as you're cleaning. When you do that, you typically smear these tiny pieces into the glass as you're cleaning. Those smears can't be removed with liquid but a sharp razor blade will make short work of them. However, it's easy to get careless with the razor blade as you make your way around the glass and gouge a chunk out of the paint. I've done this more than once and am always like - I can't believe I just did that! Fixing the paint on these straight lines is a massive PITA so don't make that mistake.

When finished, the unit will have better light dispersion through the scale and look just stunning.

That white dial ink must be the most delicate ever used in audio manufacturing which can be ruined by all but breathing too heavily on it. There must be a hundred different things more durable that would have worked just as well- why they didn't I'll never know.

I once saw one where some of the numbers had "drooped" downward like the Limp Watch in the Dali painting. I have no idea what could have caused that.

Last edited:
That white dial ink must be the most delicate ever used in audio manufacturing which can be ruined by all but breathing too heavily on it. There must be a hundred different things more durable that would have worked just as well- why they didn't I'll never know.

I once saw one where some of the numbers had "drooped" downward like the Limp Watch in the Dali painting. I have no idea what could have caused that.

Wiping over it with a wet or damp cloth in a downward motion, don't ask me how I know. Lol

I'm convinced that this is just some type of water slide decal.

A good friend of mine was cleaning the dial glass of a Marantz 10B tuner by letting it soak in warm water with dish soap. Imagine his horror when after a few minutes he sees the lettering floating in the water:yikes:. Why do I think of this situation every time I ever so gently clean a dial glass

Whatever you do, don't use Windex. I had a MR78 and I gently cleaned the inner glass with Windex and a Q-tip trying to be careful around the numbers.. It removed the numbers and the scale in an instant. Its a decal like on a airplane model. I called Terry DeWick and he confirmed that it is a decal.

MR71.

Mcintosh-Dial-Glass-pulled-from-MR71-MR-71.jpg

A good friend of mine was cleaning the dial glass of a Marantz 10B tuner by letting it soak in warm water with dish soap. Imagine his horror when after a few minutes he sees the lettering floating in the water:yikes:. Why do I think of this situation every time I ever so gently clean a dial glass
Yeah ,,, oops.

I just did my MR75 about two weeks ago. Looks stunning. 15 years from now, I'll have to do it again ...

Is 409 water based? Any idea why 409 works so well and other cleaners don’t? Is 409 safer that damping a cloth with a few drops of water? Is soft blotting better than soft wiping?

Is 409 water based? Any idea why 409 works so well and other cleaners don’t? Is 409 safer that damping a cloth with a few drops of water? Is soft blotting better than soft wiping?
Not sure really. I've used 409 to clean audio gear for as long as I can remember. Works awesome, leaves no streaks, and has no adverse side effects. I use that shit on everything.

Before cleaning any dial glass I would either make sure Radio Daze has the art or scan it at the highest resolution possible before doing anything else.

Before cleaning any dial glass I would either make sure Radio Daze has the art or scan it at the highest resolution possible before doing anything else.

They do- all three versions.

The font doesn't exactly match the originals though.

Not sure really. I've used 409 to clean audio gear for as long as I can remember. Works awesome, leaves no streaks, and has no adverse side effects. I use that shit on everything.

Which 409 model do you use? Can you provide a link to your model?

All surface
Multipurpose
Glass and Surface
Cleaner and Degreaser

Back
Top Bottom