Did I just scroe? NRG Class A monoblocks

Unfortunately nothing has changed since we last looked at them, definitely learned a few life lessons from this situation.

I read Audio Magazine for years back way back when. Certain brands’ ads stuck, so when I saw that I could access these magazines, I went for the issues I remembered having the ads I wanted to see. This was one of them. Oh and I almost bought the preamp some years ago.

I read Audio Magazine for years back way back when. Certain brands’ ads stuck, so when I saw that I could access these magazines, I went for the issues I remembered having the ads I wanted to see. This was one of them. Oh and I almost bought the preamp some years ago.

Thank you so much for posting that, I feel as though this thread has more information about NRG as a company than any other on the internet. Out of curiosity how much was the pre and did you get a chance to hear it?

The rrp here in America (US) was $7,500.00. I found it used for $1,100.00 but there was an issue. So I decided to pass, as the owner couldn’t fix it either. In retrospect, I should have gotten it, there’s much more info these days.

How about this for a shit end to my day. Just got the JVC home, hooked it up to the wilsons and within 5 seconds had smoke pouring from the new Focal T120 tweeters I just fitted to the Wilsons. Man, **** this pre amp.

How about this for a shit end to my day. Just got the JVC home, hooked it up to the wilsons and within 5 seconds had smoke pouring from the new Focal T120 tweeters I just fitted to the Wilsons. Man, **** this pre amp.
Yeah that sucks! What the hell, seems the tech missed a major something.

Sometimes that is the lesson, but it is cool stuff to restore, frustrations and all.

Wait, what JVC, what amp?
Context please.

Wow, what a read! Just spent the last 2+ hours reading every last post in this thread. @Dazaa I commend you for your diligence! Sorry about the pre-amp problems. Hoping you get everything worked out one way or another and are happy with your system.

That doesn't sound like a pre-amp problem, unless you're DC-coupled from the pre-amp output to the power amp to the tweeter.

Did the speaker crossover capacitor get removed? Or is the pre-amp or power amp oscillating?

That doesn't sound like a pre-amp problem, unless you're DC-coupled from the pre-amp output to the power amp to the tweeter.

Did the speaker crossover capacitor get removed? Or is the pre-amp or power amp oscillating?

I know this will sound crazy but heres what happened. whilst at my techs place We noticed there was a slight hum from the output rca jack but assumed it was a dodgy rca cable he was using. The pre amp worked fine and sound fantastic on both channels, got pretty toasty but its got huge heatsinks inside and being class A its bound to warm up right?
Got it home, it WASNT the powered on or even plugged in to the mains, I connected the rca cables to the power amp (a yamaha pc2602 that is working perfectly) and since the gain was at max on both channels the hum from the rca jacks fried the tweeters in under 5 seconds, smoke and all. Once again, the JVC wasn't powered on or even plugged in so it can't have been DC, the yamaha was so freaked out by the hum the clipping indicators came on for both channels and i've never seen that happen in the 6 years ive owned it.

Speaker x overs in the Wilson Witts are entirely potted and original, the power amp definitely works fine

Also, what work was done? What power amp was used? And if this was DC, why was there no capacitor in series with the tweeter?

Yamaha PC2602M which I know works fine. The JVC had a full recap, it contains loads of boards which are linked by old style ribbon cables and lots of these were broken in place. He replaced a lot of these and bridged broken traces. It worked fine at his.

On a positive note Focal T120 voicecoils are only £13 each so i'm slightly less bummed.

I know this will sound crazy but heres what happened. whilst at my techs place We noticed there was a slight hum from the output rca jack but assumed it was a dodgy rca cable he was using. The pre amp worked fine and sound fantastic on both channels, got pretty toasty but its got huge heatsinks inside and being class A its bound to warm up right?
Got it home, it WASNT the powered on or even plugged in to the mains, I connected the rca cables to the power amp (a yamaha pc2602 that is working perfectly) and since the gain was at max on both channels the hum from the rca jacks fried the tweeters in under 5 seconds, smoke and all. Once again, the JVC wasn't powered on or even plugged in so it can't have been DC, the yamaha was so freaked out by the hum the clipping indicators came on for both channels and i've never seen that happen in the 6 years ive owned it.
Ah, I get it -- 50hz hum at full power into both speakers. :(

Sounds like something wasn't grounded.

Back
Top Bottom