Did Philips ever make a good turntable?

They are supposed to light up on the 212 and folks have done led conversions on them. I got my dad a 212 and he loves it. I have the 312 and I like it alot. I do recall the 312 have LED's and mine work flawlessly.

You did well. The GA212 is a good table and the cartridge you got with it is very good. If I'm not mistaken, it's an Audio-Technica AT13Ea. That's worth the $20.00 all by itself.

John

Cool! Thanks for the info. I'll clean it up this weekend. I see there are some bulbs on eBay; I'm not sure if I'm up to replacing them though...

On the 60s and 70s Philips had a R&D department that was second to none. They invented all sorts of things there, including the basis for the Compact Disc.

I always thought that Philips products of that era were perfectly designed, even if they're consumer level.

Some of those original R&D facilities still exist (some in use, some not) on what is currently called the 'Philips High Tech Campus' in Eindhoven (then called NatLab), but that aside, cool that you got it dkryan!

And some of them sport nice cartridges too.
I always check the tables for a cart as many times the cart is the better part of the deal.

You did well. The GA212 is a good table and the cartridge you got with it is very good. If I'm not mistaken, it's an Audio-Technica AT13Ea. That's worth the $20.00 all by itself.

John

There you go :thmbsp:

FWIW, I've got about 5 or so of these out in the garage in various stages of repair. Usual failures are the lights, the on/off switch and the cueing mechanicals can go wacky too.
I ran one for a couple years as my main table and thought it was fine; the only reason it went is because I scored a Thorens TD-160and a Dual 1229. in fact, the question of which to keep may have been my 1st post here :yes: and

My Objet D'Lust of TTs is one of them uber-sexay Empires w/the wood base & top, but I had a 312 & would NOT be upset to have another...

I got my 202 finally spinning. Some minor issues that I need to think about but it's spinning right, and it sounds superb with M97xE now.

To resurrect somewhat. I just acquired my dad's old GA202. He's had it since new, used to work for Philips in the research lab. It has a Norelco 412 cartridge on it. I assume that's a Shure M97xE you're talking about. Is that a direct fit or mods required? Good results?
cheers

If I remember correctly, the touch switch bulbs on the 212 are actually part of the circuit and they have to work for the circuit to work correctly. IMO, it's a very decent turntable. Not the equal of many of the higher priced Japanese and other tables that came later, but it was great for the money. Years ago I think I replaced my AR XA with a 212 and considered it an upgrade, but today one might argue either way.

Don't ever believe in brands : just try it out yourself. Your ears are your best guide. Even the best turntable sounds awfull with the wrong element.

Just picked up one for $25 at a flea market

I haven't had a chance to check it out yet, but I just picked up this Phillips 212 at a flea market for $25 bucks! I was a little concerned about the "bouncing around" of the platter and tone arm as another posted said, and I'm releaved to hear it is the way they were made. No cartridge though :(

Anyone know what the best cartridge and stylii would be for this table? Willing to pay $100-$150 if it would make it sound awesome.

Got a lot of cleaning to do first. Plastic is actually in great shape, a lot of dust, but I'd rather have that than swirls from cleaning with paper towels.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    67.6 KB · Views: 65
I had a Philips GA212 back in the day ( 1975 ) with a Stanton 681EEE mounted on it. Sounded pretty darn good. Like most Philips products, the engineering is good, build quality decent, but the materials are pretty cheap. It's suspension is pretty active so sturdy placement is a must. The tonearm, although it looks light and flimsy, has decent performance. It allowed the 681EEE to track very well.

Last edited:
The GA-222 was the top of the line in the mid 1970s before the AF-777/867/877 (and, ultimately 887... and beyond) lineup came along.
It's a pretty nice but seldom seen piece.

Last edited:
Picked this one up a couple years ago. Had not seen one before that, nor any time since I picked this one up... Seems nice enough.

attachment.php

Back
Top Bottom