Did somebody paint these?

They are a match to the transformers on my MC40's.
I bought rebuild kits from Jim McShane, cost was about 300 bucks for two kits. A friend of mine (NJPhoenix) who has experience rebuilding Mac tube amps did the work. Retubed them with vintage tubes and haven't looked back. They are the cornerstone of my system.

BillWojo

Fwiw the price is not too far out of line for clean examples of mc30's or mc40's. You can also take into the rarity of these amps and add some more $$ to the price tag.

I'm asking for his price on 2. I don't want to push this into dollars and sense...lol.
I don't know that rarity plays into most people's minds. I had a very rare car...1/13 made that year and because of that, pricing was hard to gauge. I had wished I'd had bought a more common variant when I sold it.

That would be grason stadler
The model number would be 162k but those units were well marked with the companies logo and had regular black transformers. Those amps had the exact same transformers and circuit as the mc40 with the addition of a metering circuit. I had a 162k and this don't look like it unless I get a front shot.
http://www.indianaradios.com/Grason Stadler 162K McIntosh MC40 Amplifier.htm

I see differences in the global fb network as well as the front end network.

Last edited:
They are a match to the transformers on my MC40's.
I bought rebuild kits from Jim McShane, cost was about 300 bucks for two kits. A friend of mine (NJPhoenix) who has experience rebuilding Mac tube amps did the work. Retubed them with vintage tubes and haven't looked back. They are the cornerstone of my system.

BillWojo
So, that adds $450 for the 3, plus labor and any tubes required, plus odds and ends.

And shipping added puts them well out of my pay grade. Still interesting tho.

Well, he wants $2500 for 1 recapped/1 original pair and $3400 for all 2... only 1 being recapped. So, I'd need 1 kit per, plus labor, etc? I've asked what tubes are in them.
I'm thinking it's not reasonable and pass.

Imho, 25 Benjies for the three is top of what I would go for box of chocolates technical cdx, no more.
YMMV.
Yeah, that's where I am, too. It was a cool adventure, nonetheless.

Thanks guys for the great info. My journey into the McIntosh tube world will have to wait awhile longer.

Yeah, that's where I am, too. It was a cool adventure, nonetheless.

Thanks guys for the great info. My journey into the McIntosh tube world will have to wait awhile longer.
Best something local and fully competently overhauled and bench checked, price negotiable for cosmetics.

Back
Top Bottom