Digital only play list:

Def Leppard - Retro Active

1993RetroActive.jpg

Mr. Lin, I saw the other thread, but I like yours better!

David Chesky - Urban Concertos
Downloaded from HDtracks.com @88kHz/24bit file. I then burned it to a MFSL gold CD-R and I am listening to it on my Rotel CDP.

Being in high school from '91 to '95 I heard RH when Pablo Honey and The Bends were all the rage. At that time I was mostly into classic rock (hell, I still am) and more "rockier" grunge/alt. bands, and wasn't ready for RH, or, more exactly, just didn't have the time/budget/inclination to explore a lot of music I wasn't highly interested in (only in the last few years have I had the time/inclination to do so really...as well as a decent set up in order to appreciate a broader range of music, even if I've listened to many genres since my mid 20's).

Anyway, I've heard RH's output through various friends up to Hail to the Thief, but I never owned a RH album or sat down and really listened to one until a couple of years ago. I still haven't heard all of their post 2000's music, and I've actually been slowly going in order of their albums (starting a month or two ago lol) since I have them all now. Just to get an idea of their sound progression.

So far I like OK Computer the best, but that may change in a month or two with more listening of the albums I haven't listened to more than a couple of times, or those only semi-heard in the background, or with ones I haven't even heard yet! (In Rainbows and the new one).

Those two songs you mention stuck out to me as well (just studio), even if I haven't heard all of In Rainbows (I've heard Nude somewhere a few times). I might have to check out some live RH sometime as well.

PS: You seem to be into ambient music which is something I haven't gotten into (unless you count some prog rock or 80's synth lol). I can see how you'd love RH for that aspect of their sound.

I like everything RH have done, although I've never been too crazy about Pablo Honey. And personally I felt Hail to The Thief was underrated - that's another one I prepared for by listening to live versions of the songs prior to the albums release.

Genesis - Invisible Touch

This might be my favorite Genesis. (Sorry Phil Collins haters, and I understand! :D).

Lol!

TomWaitsRain.jpg

Tom Waits ~ Rain Dogs
Island '85

Speaking of artists I've been meaning to get into for years. ^^^

Mr. Lin, I saw the other thread, but I like yours better!

David Chesky - Urban Concertos
Downloaded from HDtracks.com @88kHz/24bit file. I then burned it to a MFSL gold CD-R and I am listening to it on my Rotel CDP.

Thanks, glad you're posting here!

Mozart - Spohr
Clarinet Concertos

Jon Manasse
Seattle Symphony
Gerard Schwarz

2010 Harmonia Mundi

rsz_p3221576.jpg

HarryNilssonPoint.jpg

Harry Nilsson ~ The Point!

One of my all time favorites. I, too, have the CD, but I play it only because I have yet to find a vinyl copy that is worthy :)

I grew up with that album; little did I know at age three that it was about one of Nilsson's Acid trips :drool:

Johannes Brahms
Fantasien op.116, Intermezzi op.117, Klavierstuecke op.118 & op.119

Wilhelm Kempff: piano

1964 Polydor/DG
ADD

rsz_p3231583.jpg

Frank Klare
Moods

2006 Groove Unlimited (Netherlands)

Excerpts from booklet:

'Moods' is based on the theory that different frequencies and tones when processed by the human brain can transport the listener to a different state of mind.

... The moods are:
Alpha Moods, for relaxation and meditation
Beta Moods, for stimulation and animation
Theta Moods, for deep meditation, trance and dreams.

... 'Alpha Moods', a composition made specifically for a scientific group for the purpose of inducing relaxation, was the building block upon which the foundation of this album has been built.

rsz_p3231592.jpg

rsz_p3231593.jpg

rsz_p3231594.jpg

Speaking of artists I've been meaning to get into for years. ^^^

IMO Rain Dogs is as good a place to start as any :thmbsp:

One of my all time favorites. I, too, have the CD, but I play it only because I have yet to find a vinyl copy that is worthy :)

I don't think a good vinyl copy exists :tears:

http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showpost.php?p=4143928&postcount=39575

I grew up with that album; little did I know at age three that it was about one of Nilsson's Acid trips :drool:

Yeah :D

"I was on acid and I looked at the trees and I realized that they all came to points, and the little branches came to points, and the houses came to point. I thought, 'Oh! Everything has a point, and if it doesn't, then there's a point to it.'" -- Harry

Gil Evans - Out of the Cool

74.+The+Gil+Evans+Orchestra+-+Out+of+the+Cool+(1960).jpg

I think I'm going to drop my Last.fm subscription in favour of Napster. Instead of a Gil Evans station that plays a lot of crap I don't care for, Napster lets me stream a whole album. I'd rather find a good copy on vinyl, than download it, though.

Gil Evans - Out of the Cool

I think I'm going to drop my Last.fm subscription in favour of Napster. Instead of a Gil Evans station that plays a lot of crap I don't care for, Napster lets me stream a whole album. I'd rather find a good copy on vinyl, than download it, though.

Rhapsody's pretty decent too, pick an album and stream away. 60 days free as well, to start. I stream on 3 computers for 13 a month...

Jay

If you say Rhapsody is decent, I'll take your word for it. Not available here in Canada. Either is Pandora.

Back
Top Bottom