1. Time for some upgrades in server hardware and software to enhance security and take AK to the next level. Please contribute what you can to sales@audiokarma.org at PayPal.com - Thanks from the AK Team
    Dismiss Notice

Digital sources (flac and DSD) vs CD

Discussion in 'Digital Sources' started by travellersol, Nov 16, 2017.

1. travellersol

travellersol Active Member

yeah i think my Fiio X5iii is having dual AKM4490 chips.

what if the high res files are not ripped from my own CDs but bought from Linn etc.?

Please register to disable this ad.

2. travellersol

same question here: what if the high res files are not ripped from my own CDs but bought from Linn etc.?

3. travellersol

I only use headphones when I'm out. at home I use a home-based stereo: Fiio X5iii or PC >> Marantz 1060 amp >> Kipsch KG4 or JBL L110 speakers.

And glad to hear your report that you can hear no difference between spinning disc and playing files.

4. botrytis

botrytis Trying not to be a Small Speaker Hoarder Subscriber

The master is key. Linn usually has one master and their music is stellar.

You cannot make a high res file from a CD - only from the master IF the master is high res.

travellersol likes this.
  5. Raynald

Raynald Addicted Member

Virtually all of my files are FLAC and of course the ones we used to compare with the CD were FLAC made from that CD.

6. travellersol

Looks like in the digital realm, lossless files like flac and ape would perform at least comparable to if not better than on CDs.

How about comparing SACDs to DSD files than, assuming the DSD files are bought legitimately? again, I don't have an SACD player, but, just purely based on logic, there should be no difference either, and, maybe the non-optical option of playing DSD files directly from a DAP would have advantage due to the absence of jitter etc. at least?

Please register to disable this ad.

7. bigx5murf

bigx5murf Super Member

SACD are technically DSD files.