Diminishing returns on the horizon

Don Bocadill

Obsessed, who me???!!
So folks, as many of you know I’m a bit of a Mcintosh fiend and have worked my way through pretty much most of the sub $10k gear mac has to offer.

This time last year I had settled into a brand new MC275 mkVI and a C2200 preamp that I got a deal on needing a bit of cosmetic refurb, this was hooked to a Schiit Yggdrasil and my trusty JBL4435’s. I’d always lusted after a 275 and was hoping to recreate the sound of an earlier system of mine comprising mc30’s an MX110z, ar3a’s and a Linn lp12...I was sadly disappointed...there was a lack of three dimensionality, intimacy and involvement, just a bit sterile over all...

Strange feeling but I guess an important part of this hobby is learning to trust your senses and not second guess your self (the grass may or may not be greener). During the purchase of the 275 i noticed that the unit had a silkscreen flaw so the dealer arranged a replacement unit for me and I was actively considering forgoing the 275 for the mighty Mc452 but at the time the numbers on a new 452 didn’t add up so I got the replacement 275 with the seeds of doubt sown in my mind. Over the coming months I proceeded to sell the 275 for a small loss (first time ever on a Mac unit) and made a few bucks on the C2200 which I also never really gelled with....it just lacked a certain romance factor and I don’t mean the dreaded ‘romantic’ sound signature...I feel you have to almost fall in love with a piece of gear....and this despite the C2200 being the closest predecessor to the legendary C22 in terms of the tube audio pathway (gosh I even stacked it with NOS Millard’s and Telefunkens!!)

So I banked my audio fund and scoured the audio universe for the next best thing and low and behold in September just up the road from me I spotted an MC452 and MCD500 which I jumped all over. Ended up selling the MCD for a tidy profit and the hunt was on for a preamp, after evaluating all the mac offerings, nothing in my budget (sub $4k) peaked my interest other than a C200 which seemed unobtanium...then along came a killer deal on a Marantz 7c and 8b combo which I couldn’t refuse. Sadly the 8b was cosmetically damaged in shipping but I’d never intended on keeping it anyways after AB testing with the 452 the synergy with the big JBLs was just awesome at all listening levels. The 7c had bad power supply caps so I embarked on a full restoration with the fancy Arizona cactus capacitors, all done by our very own Marantz tube guru crooner so that piece of the puzzle was complete. Then I lucked into a Thorens TD124 on bartertown up in Toledo that I bought and sent to Thorens pros in Tennessee for the full works as well as buying a second Gen5 usb Yggdrasil as id sold my first on around the time of the first sell off....all of this was completed before Christmas as we had family coming to town and my brother in law is a fellow audiophile and Schiit / focal dac/ headphone lover.

So, day after day I listen to both the dac and the turntable and am astonished by what I hear, I seem to have lucked my way back in to that oh so hard to achieve synergy. I suppose when all’s said and done the goal is to get as close as possible to the actual recording and to achieve that sensation of the band/artist being right there in the room with you...I guess that’s what I mean when using phrases like holographic etc. or rather ’the whole is greater than the sum of its parts’ would be an apt way to describe it...

any how it’s been a long and fun journey up to this point and I’ve had a lot of fun sharing it with the ak community and meeting many of you in person over the years...here’s to many more years of happy listening in great health!! And long may we stay out of the clutches of the ghost of diminishing returns!!

749C7912-2F4B-4388-BDE7-683CEA196B2C.jpeg 6FCDEBEF-B527-4261-9BB2-C1C00ED87D34.jpeg C4D70376-8CD8-4215-8A3D-5EA853598073.jpeg AAFBC4D7-99D5-41C1-B250-56325C53D2F9.jpeg D721ECBA-6A0C-4911-8459-711CDCFA53FA.jpeg

Last edited:
Beautiful system you’ve put together there! Nicely documented journey and congrats on finding the elusive synergy! What cart are you using?

Those big JBL woofers are no joke, I’m not surprised even the mighty MC275 couldn’t hack it - nothing like BEEFY solid state to take control. Im sure paired with the tube sweetness of the 7c it’s an awesome combo.
:beerchug:

Congrats! The 452 is an awesome amplifier and I'm glad you got the opportunity to purchase one.

Happy listening!

Hey Kyle, thanks dude, as you well know it’s a labor of love :hug: currently using a 2m Black on the TD...such a great sounding cart, had one on my LP12 way back and loved the sound :music:
Beautiful system you’ve put together there! Nicely documented journey and congrats on finding the elusive synergy! What cart are you using?

Hey Yamaki, it is the perfect manifestation of the proverbial velvet hammer.... i’ve wondered whether a move to 601’s would step things up but came to the conclusion that it would most likely put me into ‘diminishing returns’ territory. I guess that’s my new benchmark as once you get to a certain level of performance and are happy with your system and room then it would really have to be a significant step up to justify switching things up...
Congrats! The 452 is an awesome amplifier and I'm glad you got the opportunity to purchase one.

Happy listening!

Nice rig, I like the blend of modern and vintage gear. That Thorens sure is a sharp TT, mechanical art, I'd say.

I've been looking into upgrading my DAC, would like to get a Yggdrasil. It sure is an imposing looking piece.

Mechanical art is probably the best way to describe it...dang Swiss engineering....hahaha...and yes having gone through many a dac from under $200 and up I’d say the yggy is the best yet, like the upgradability factor too!! Just occurred to me that both the Marantz 7 and the TD124 being completely overhauled and updated effectively straddle the line between vintage and modern in terms of their performance.
Nice rig, I like the blend of modern and vintage gear. That Thorens sure is a sharp TT, mechanical art, I'd say.

I've been looking into upgrading my DAC, would like to get a Yggdrasil. It sure is an imposing looking piece.

Last edited:
The 7c is wherein the magic lies. Some say it's sound is colored. If so, I'd proclaim euphorically.

The MC452 is probably as close to a straight wire with gain as Mc has ever pulled off in a stereo model. Only mono blocks could take you a step further.

Edit - don't know squat about the sound of 4435s, but if they're half as good as owners claim, they have to be windows into the studio!

Now you see why I haven't bought nada in a while. When you've arrived, you know it. Buy media!

Enjoy!

Very well written story of the process to what you ended up with. I could feel your pain along the way, but wouldn't have had the fortitude to fight through it. Your reward looks outstanding and it sounds like you'll have many hours of listening pleasure. I would never have thought the 275 would have been a poor match with your JBLs, but seems like it all worked out. Congratulations on your final incarnation.

All sailors know: the faster you sail, the faster the horizon recedes. Great stuff there though!

Now how much heat is that Mac amp putting out? I'm worried about it being covered like that.

All sailors know: the faster you sail, the faster the horizon recedes. Great stuff there though!

Now how much heat is that Mac amp putting out? I'm worried about it being covered like that.

The 452 runs very cool thankfully, the 8ohm JBL’s are easy to drive so 4.5watts is the most the amp has to put out on a regular basis...

Back
Top Bottom