Ding on new filter capacitor

Mico

Just received huge parts order from Mouser and one of the two big 15.000/63V KEMET filter capacitors has noticeable ding in the middle of the can. The can wall is not that thin at all, wondering if it is safe to use it - or return and ask for a new one? Real boomer, I was about to finish it over the weekend.
Never had to return anything to Mouser hope this is not a major PITA.

KEMET_4773 copy.jpg ,

Last edited:
You'll find Mouser to be one of most accommodating companies to deal with, if you choose to return it... Call them...

The couple things I've had to return to Mouser were handled with a phone call. They never wanted the damaged or incorrect item back - 'just keep it'.

Screw terminal caps are expensive and a ding does give the slight chance of a problem. If it were me, I'd return it.
Oh well it can wait for the replacement, I do not want to gamble . Called Mouser and the new one is in its way, it was a really quick affair. EDIT: Just got a request from Mouser, Kemet wants the damaged part to be returned, this will slow the process a bit.

Last edited:
Oh well it can wait for the replacement, I do not want to gamble . Called Mouser and the new one is in its way, it was a really quick affair. EDIT: Just got a request from Mouser, Kemet wants the damaged part to be returned, this will slow the process a bit.

You think that the picture posted would be proof of the damage for Kemet. Maybe take a picture of the damage with the manufacture printing on the side prove its their cap.

You think that the picture posted would be proof of the damage for Kemet. Maybe take a picture of the damage with the manufacture printing on the side prove its their cap.
Kemet wants physical item to be returned, and damage is on the opposite side of the logo anyway.

Maybe they want to see if they can determine what caused the damage. Get the CSI team together have have em look at the evidence and maybe Kemet will work on the packaging or look at how the distributor is handling the product. Is that going to keep Mouser from shipping the replacement?

Maybe they want to see if they can determine what caused the damage. Get the CSI team together have have em look at the evidence and maybe Kemet will work on the packaging or look at how the distributor is handling the product. Is that going to keep Mouser from shipping the replacement?
Mouser rep said they would send me the replacement cap as soon as they receive the bad one. I phoned them on late Friday afternoon, so I am waiting for UPS return label on Monday than trip to carrier`s drop-off office, than waiting for the new shipment .
It will take a while - but that was after KEMET`s request. Initial response from Mouser was immediate shipping of the replacement and suggestion to discard the defective cap.

I'm guessing if Kemet is asking for the damaged part back you aren't nearly the first person with this problem and they want to find out where the it's happening before more expensive stock is dinged on the way to the final buyer.
I'm not sure how they would be able to tell by examining the ding but maybe they'll compare to possible contact points on one of their packing machines or something.

Hmm, I have just realized that terminal screws were not included :thumbsdown:. Is that common practice? I used to buy similar Nichicons and screws were always included, sometimes even clamps.
Kemets were perfect fit for AU-7900 otherwise I would not have changed the winning team.

Last edited:
It's the modern world. You have to pay to check your bags. You have to pay to use the ATM. You have to buy your own screws and clamps. :whip:

Just for the reference, I received replacement cap today so Mouser sent it before receiving the bad part :thumbsup:.
I think I will stick with screw terminal Nichicon in the future, even if slight mod is needed to fit them in. Not impressed with taking the trip to hardware store to find matching screws for 25$ caps.
Even Kemet capacitor clamps for other project came without closing screw and nut.
At 5$ each - c`mon!

Last edited:
Another one, second in two consecutive orders! This time tiny 1mF/50V Silmic, probability is so low I would have preferred I won the Lottery instead.
Looks very similar to the damage on the big Kemet but this time gravity force is excluded for sure. Must be something in the manufacturing process that went wrong
for both of them.

SILMIC II.jpg

Another one, second in two consecutive orders! This time tiny 1mF/50V Silmic, probability is so low I would have preferred I won the Lottery instead.
Looks very similar to the damage on the big Kemet but this time gravity force is excluded for sure. Must be something in the manufacturing process that went wrong
for both of them.

View attachment 1302415

That's not at all likely to be a manufacturing defect. Believe me these manufacturers take their PPM defect rates very, very, seriously.
That's why they reacted the way they did- it's a big deal to them in this day and age.
Real customers (not us hobbyists) get very, very upset when these things happen and the result can be lost orders and even punitive financial actions towards the suppliers/manufacturers.
More likely it's a distributor issue, although their most likely conclusion is that it was a shipping/end user handling problem.

I had this exact thing happen on a recent order.

Mouser seem to be skimping on packaging lately. I had two heavy 105x66mm filter caps packed together in a single thin sheet of bubble wrap, which were free to bounce around, scratch each other up (not cheap parts), and crush a smaller cap entirely. It's not a problem/defect with the caps, and not even shipping-related (box was perfect externally). At least in the cases I've seen it's 100% caused by poor packaging, which is on mouser.

Unfortunately for those outside the US, service isn't always the best. After sending photos of crushed parts I was told "it's just a scratch, get over it" by Mouser Hong Kong (which AU gets redirected to), and I had to create a little storm of firm emails to US and EU specific email addresses before I got a convenient "this wasn't our fault, but we'll re-send your order this time" from the same guy who snobbed me the first time. Clearly someone had a chat to him.

I honestly expected better service from a large company, like others here I use mouser a lot. I blame Mouser HK, I suspect US HQ would have better customer service, but global consistency is still on HQ and it's no excuse. All I can say is if you don't get a fair result first go, pursue it until you do.

I had a pretty light stuff in this last order, nothing to crush this little guy and box was perfectly fine outside which excludes shipping damage. Now when I think of it and read all this, it must be something with Mouser`s handling of goods.
Considering ultra fast same day shipping they must have some kind automated system filling the order, at least pulling the stuff from the racks. And s... happens, obviously. At least I had a couple of spare ones in this value so do not have to deal with customer service again.

Last edited:
I guess I got lucky with my one and only order from Mouser, since everything arrived safely.

Back
Top Bottom