Dipping (reluctantly) into digital

Bill Beausol

Okay, so it's time I got into digital. My wife got an Amazon Dot which I occasionally use to amuse myself:

"Alexis, where should I bury the body?" "You should call the police."

and she uses for music:

"Alexis, play Dianna Krall."
"Alexis, play George WInston."
"Alexis, play Christmas Music."

So, my system sits there silently while Alexis, in all her 100 - 2,000 hz glory makes the great room sound like an elevator car. So, I'm wondering if there is there is an Alexis like way to feed the stereo. How about streaming from my computer. The computer is quite far from the pre-amp so hard wiring is not going to work. Is there an Alexis like device with line outputs? Or any outputs that could be converted to line level so it plays well with my system?

I use a DB Systems pre-amp so plenty of analogue RCA inputs but nothing else. Can some of the big brains out there provide a road map that even a small brain analogue guy like me can follow? I want to get the fidelity as good as I reasonably can but I'm not chasing high-end analogue sound for this application.

Thanks.

The Dot has line level output. You just need a 3.5mm to RCA adapter cable. Fidelity is quite excellent, depending on the streaming source. Spotify will be the highest bitrate, followed by Amazon Music Unlimited. If you like rawk, install the Radio Paradise skill.

Thanks for the great advice. I got the audioengine adapter and am preparing to move forward. I am going to get another Dot or similar device specifically for a source for the stereo system so that the existing Dot will still be available all the time for questions about the weather and burying bodies. So, I have a couple of more questions.

Chicks (thanks again) noted that, "Fidelity is quite excellent, depending on the streaming source. Spotify will be the highest bitrate, followed by Amazon Music Unlimited. If you like rawk, install the Radio Paradise skill." My questions are:
  1. Should I use another Dot or get a different device with similar voice actuated technology as a source for the stereo?
  2. Can Spotify, Amazon Music, etc. be installed on a Dot or other similar device or are they specific to PC's?
  3. If they can be installed on the Dot or similar device, how?
Thanks in advance for the help.
Bill

Spotify and AM can be installed on the Dot through the Amazon Alexa app on your smart phone.

Back
Top Bottom