Dirty little eBay trick

There was nothing to accept he went ahead and cancel the sale and and refunded my money. Then explain to me that he tripped over the 2600 and broke it

Geez always thought after the auction closed that if "damage" occurs they have to ask you to accept the cancellation. If you can still leave feedback on the transaction he must have refunded you directly through paypal and not ebay. If so, there are many enjoyable ways you can terrorize him.

/...i've heard

Tell the seller you don't mind if it's broken.

Yes, I would say he wanted more money.

Rob
I did tell him I did not mind it was broken. I also told him that my friend that works nearby him would come over and inspect it .his answer was no

Thanks guys for all your comments it's time for me to move on I'm still going 2 get a Marantz 2600 it's just not going to be this one. And the lesson I learned is the rules on eBay don't mean crap. They can be broken with 0 consequences I will try and remember that the next time I make a purchase on eBay and decide that I paid too much and don't want to pay for it

That’s unfortunate, but as noted there’s likely not much you can do about it.
I’d save screen shots from the listing and see if it’s relisted, if so I’d make a stink.
This may come in handy-

6DE910CF-1C55-48C9-8AED-7794D79A174A.png

He already told me in an email that he's going to put it in the shop and have it looked at and then relist it in a couple of weeks so the gentleman thing to have done is for him to put it in the shop have it repaired at his expense because after all he did break it and then offer it to me for 4500

Last edited:
OTOH if the guy is that dishonest, do you really want to do business with him and put money in his pocket? What else is wrong with the receiver that he's also covering up because he's a schmuck. You may have dodged a bullet.
You make a good point maybe there was a reason I'm the only one that bid on it lol

It's his responsibility to get it to you as described and expected. He isn't going to do that. Not a deal you want anything to do with. You got your money back. It's over.
Plenty of fish in the sea. And it looks you already have most of them.
He's the one with a problem, not you. It's all good.

Someone told me he tripped over a receiver that big and broke it, I'd want to see pictures of his cast, forget about the receiver.

I still have a scar on my toe from the last piece of audio gear I tripped over, and it was less than half the size/weight of a 2600.

John

With all due respect are you insane?
Save alittle more and buy a rental house.
I have people paying for my properties, its a nice little nest egg. Sorry i just do not see the point.

With all due respect are you insane?
Save alittle more and buy a rental house.
I have people paying for my properties, its a nice little nest egg. Sorry i just do not see the point.

The OP is a good friend of mine and a MAJOR vintage receiver collector. He has every and I mean every monster vintage receiver in his collection (plus many other high quality pieces) Having recently acquired a Sansui G33000, the 2600 is the last monster to add to his collection...so this was a BIG opportunity for him and a BIG disappointment to get burned by this underhanded seller. Also- the irony of your statement is that his family business is owning and managing rental properties in S. California, which helps him enjoy his vintage receiver collection....I suspect this collection has likely doubled, possibly tripled in value since he started collecting....now that is a nice little nest egg. :thumbsup:

Last edited:
Shit happens on eBay. If the seller continues to do this type of thing he wont last. He should list his items BIN or BO.. It sucks to "lose" out on a good deal, but the good deal was just an illusion. No need to waste anymore energy on this..

If they throttle your account, max listings or $$$ amount, it is a pain in the ass.

THAT'S why I opened more accounts.
My limits are crazy high now.
One new account went 10-100-10000 items. And jumped to like $90000 limit.
They must have F'd up in software somewhere.

One trick I found out is that they limit accounts by the CC used to pay fees.
6 is the limit.
I have a lot of CC too.

One thing most people do not understand is "money finds a way".

Winning an item is a legal contract. Have a lawyer send them a letter explaining that, and explaining that you intend to sue if you don't get YOUR receiver.

That would be my preferred option as well - if only for the 'satisfaction' of not letting it rest quite so easily !

I was 'scammed' on eBay years ago, only for a relatively small amount (< $200), but scammed none-the-less. I reported it to the police, as well as eBay...... 3 years later, the person involved was convicted of fraud, on 65 counts. I still receive 'compensation' twice a year, 14 years later.... Don't let them get away with it !

Back
Top Bottom