Discuss Cures/remedies for tinnitus

hjames

We are all just walking each other home.
Staff member
Super Mod
Subscriber
I've had a bit of tinnitus for many years, motorcycles and too many loud shows and no ear protection.
Not sure what happened yesterday tho. I was at work all day, computer work (no headphones) keyboard clatter in a mostly quiet space,
but yesterday afternoon when I got home, I realized the noise floor/background sound in my ears had gone up A LOT.
I wasn't listening to music or anything, just suddenly realized the Sssshhhh sound in my ears was much louder.
I did some searches and - lots of fluff online trying to sell ribo flavnoid and other things.
I DID have some Ginko Baloba I bought a while back, so I opened the bottle this morning and had one, just to see ...
I'll probably try to keep with that for a week or 2 and see if there is any affect.
I'm pretty med free, otherwise ... I do a Centrum Silver multivitamin every morning,
eat a probiotic chewable every night, swallow 2 Vitamin D pills with dinner as I am somewhat low-calcium
... and take an aspirin every other day near bedtime.

Anyone else have any remedies/suggestions ...??

Last edited:
I had the same thing happen to me at the very beginning of a nasty head cold. It lasted for the better part of a month, probably because I didn't bother to see an ENT doc to get a course of meds. Hopefully it isn't tinnitus which I think is usually associated with ringing sound as I understand it.

I find mine comes and goes, and the only thing I can relate it to is my blood pressure. Anecdotal, I know, but when I hear that tape hiss sound if I can go to my "happy place" for a moment or two, sometimes that'll quiet things down. Also, since I started taking blood pressure medication, the tinnitus seems less intrusive.

Just my observations.

Try Phosphatidylserine. It is the fat that serves a insulation on nerves and is somewhat limited in the diet. It is one of the few "smart drugs" I've tried that really does something useful. Supplementing seems to improve nerve maintenance and regeneration. Since tinnitus is nerve damage, it may help in your self-repair.

When you get the dosage scheme right, memory improves but you know when you've taken too much when forgetfulness increases. I take two or three pills a week every other week.

Last month my world came crashing down around me, literally and figuratively.
Standing in line at the market my left ear started ROARING I had a very hard time keeping my balance.
Somehow I made out of the store, somehow started the car, staggered into the house and fell into bed only to have the most hair-raising vertigo.
The room was spinning, back and forth and Up & Down for what seemed like eternity
I thought I was dying for sure, projectile vomit at any slight movement or blink of the eye.
Three or four repeat performances out of the blue but nothing as frightening as the first.
Music, tv, conversations sounded unworldly, distorted loud and ugly.

Meniere's disease is the somewhat clueless doctors diagnosis and I'm counting on the medical "arts" being wrong again.

... only to have the most hair-raising vertigo.The room was spinning, back and forth and Up & Down for what seemed like eternity. I thought I was dying for sure, projectilevomit at any slight movement or blink of the eye. Three or four repeat performances out of the blue but nothing as
frightening as the first. Music, tv, conversations sounded unworldly, distorted loud and ugly. Meniere's disease is the somewhat clueless doctors diagnosis and I'm counting on the medical "arts" being
wrong again.
Wow. That's a little more intense than your garden-variety tinnitus, isn't it? Sorry to hear what you're going through. Best of luck, and I hope you find a way of dealing with it soon!

Wow. That's a little more intense than your garden-variety tinnitus, isn't it? Sorry to hear what you're going through. Best of luck, and I hope you find a way of dealing with it soon!
Yes noogies, it something I wouldn't wish on anybody.
Besides tinnitus there is a feeling of pressurized ear fullness with the sound of a loud low frequency hum as if a refrigerator motor has been implanted in the base of my scull.
Hearing rests have shown I have hearing loss below 250hz and above 8k hz.
The brain supposedly makes up for this loss by introducing otherworldly distorted sound with hyper loud intensity.
That and the dizzy spinning is life altering to say the least.

Puts things in the proper perspective really fast.

Totally agree here. (Sorry). If I have something to concentrate on, it does not bother me. I have learned to fall asleep without knowing it's there. If listening to music, either speakers, or headphones, it's non existent. Compared to VERTIGO, (that I have on occasion), Tinnitus is nothing.
The only cure I've ever found is not thinking about it.

If it is a recent occurance, massive doses of niacinamide may work and are often recommended by doctors. It will make you flush, royally, and works by dilation of the capilaries in the inner ear. Some say it works and others say it does nothing.

If it is a recent occurance, massive doses of niacinamide may work and are often recommended by doctors. It will make you flush, royally, and works by dilation of the capilaries in the inner ear. Some say it works and others say it does nothing.
Coincidently, my hearing problems started the day I took a 500mg niacin tablet and exercised while experiencing an alarming niacin flush.

My tianitus started a few days after a Black Sabbath (Dio era) concert.

I sat near a speaker stack and it was painfully loud and for days after my eardrums throbbed. Decades later, as i type this, my ears are still ringing. No joke.

Funny the only time i dont notice it is when i am listening to music.

tubed sounds like a ear infection. Had them myself. Also had a growth inside the inner ear, slowly damaging the inner ear. Had intense vertigo. Had it removed by surgery. But have nerve damage. 35-40% hearing loss in that ear. Still have tinnitus in that ear.

I have been using a few drops hydrogen peroxide in my right ear for ringing and it really helps mine, but may not be the cure all for everyone.

I went through the wicked vertigo thing several years ago. It went on for the better part of a year, no fun! I sure kept off ladders that's for sure. Anyway went to doctors to no avail. Finally found a solution on the Internet, which was a series of exercises that "reset " the crystals in my right ear. It took a while but eventually went away.

tubed sounds like a ear infection. Had them myself. Also had a growth inside the inner ear, slowly damaging the inner ear. Had intense vertigo. Had it removed by surgery. But have nerve damage. 35-40% hearing loss in that ear. Still have tinnitus in that ear.
My "hearoic" doctors haven't given a thought about giving me an MRI to see if there's a growth.
I pray it's not Meniere's and it's a virus/infection that resolves itself.
The quality of my hearing ebbs and flows as does the dizziness.

Back
Top Bottom