Displayport to HDMI

Olecranon

Good day everyone,

I'm currently using a full size PC (running Jriver MC) that is connected to my HT Receiver via HDMI for my digital music source. I'd like to get something a bit smaller, but all the inexpensive small form factor PC's I've seen have a displayport connector instead of HDMI. It looks like there are displayport to HDMI adapters available.

Is anyone using a PC with a displayport to HDMI adapter for a home theater PC? Any issues bitstreaming and having the receiver correctly detect the source audio?

Thanks

I don't use them for that setup but we use the adapters sometimes at the school I work at for dual monitor setup. We've had some issues where the DP to HDMI didn't want to work right so that's not always a viable option. Seems some of the adapters are hit and miss. That or it's t he TV not wanting to work with it.

Thanks Avguytx.

Its probably not worth the risk to blow some money to test it out. I should probably just pony up for an Intel NUC or build something myself. I've seen a lot of dirt cheap refurbished HP and Dell small form factor PC's that would make decent HTPC's, but they all have displayport.

I've used DisplayPort to HDMI for video but didn't try the bitstream audio part.

I think DisplayPort has the capability, but I think it depends if the computer mfg. included bitstream audio in their implementation of DisplayPort.

You could order one of the dirt cheap refurbs, and get a DP to HDMI cable from a reputable source (e.g., Monoprice ) and give it a go. If it isn't satisfactory, RMA.

We had a SFF Dell at the office with DP port instead of HDMI. IIRC we went through 1 or 2 janky cables from some far East eBay seller before we got one that worked, but it was OK after that.

Those NUCs are appealing on some level, but by the time you build them up and buy the Windows license, they're not cheap.

You could order one of the dirt cheap refurbs, and get a DP to HDMI cable from a reputable source (e.g., Monoprice ) and give it a go. If it isn't satisfactory, RMA.

We had a SFF Dell at the office with DP port instead of HDMI. IIRC we went through 1 or 2 janky cables from some far East eBay seller before we got one that worked, but it was OK after that.

Those NUCs are appealing on some level, but by the time you build them up and buy the Windows license, they're not cheap.

Problem solved.

I found a good deal on a refurbished Shuttle XPC system. It has an intel core i3 CPU with video built in (and HDMI), but the unit also has a slot for a full size graphics card. I'll probably use my ATI Radeon HD6670 card in it. It's a small case, but has enough room for my Blu Ray/DVD drive, 128GB SSD boot drive, and 3TB data drive.

Back
Top Bottom