distorted Sony STR-V7

Jon S

I have a Sony STR-V7 receiver rated at 150wpc@8ohms. I have noticed that the left channel sounds raspy on bass transients (like on kick drums). I thought it could be a problem with the speakers but when I swap the speaker leads, the raspy transients move to the right speaker.

Even if the volume is set real low, the rasp in the transients is there. I have had the unit checked out by Sony and they cannot find anything wrong. Any ideas at what could be the problem?

This amp section also seems to pack a whallop in the bottom end. Compared to a Yamaha CR1040, the bottom end is a quite prominent if there is any sound if the bottom octaves. Is this normal?

:confused:

At the risk of sounding like a broken record...it sounds like dirty switches.

It needs to have its output looked at with a square wave fed into it...might tell a story.

thanks. I had cleaned all the switches and pots behind the front panel with Deoxit but that did not help.

Jon

:dunno:

Cleaning switches

Theres cleaning switches and theres CLEANING SWITCHES. . .Did you notice any difference at all?? Sometimes it takes a couple sessions and a fair amount of time. . .Guy

Okay!! I took the darn thing apart and recleaned ALL the switches, found two under the FM tuner board which I missed. It's for the input selector and record output selector. After a long while, I put the whole shebang together and you guys are right as always.

I must thank Echowars and Gyusher (and Merrylander for my Yamaha CR-1040 receiver) again for their insight and immense knowledge for helping me out. Otherwise, I would have two deadweights going to Goodwill. Now I can pleasantly enjoy listening to these fine vintage equipment again.

Jon

:guitar:

Four+ years of college and 20+ years of field work to tell guys to clean switches. Yeah, we rock... :bigok:

I have had the unit checked out by Sony and they cannot find anything wrong.
Morons. Did they charge you? I'd have a talk with them boys.

Very happy to hear you're running. ;)

Back
Top Bottom