1. Time for some upgrades in server hardware and software to enhance security and take AK to the next level. Please contribute what you can to sales@audiokarma.org at PayPal.com - Thanks from the AK Team
    Dismiss Notice

DIY bass reflex speaker cab

Discussion in 'DIY' started by RxDx, Dec 16, 2012.

1. JimPA

JimPA Distinguished Member

Those are T-line enclosures and I would install a corner piece behind the woofer in the back of the enclosure.
    What type of damping material do the plans call for?

Please register to disable this ad.

2. JimPA

JimPA Distinguished Member

I read the brochure and now see wool or cotton is specified for the damping material.

3. cubby01

cubby01 aka Buck

Ken,
    I ran into a pair of Knight 888HC, the drivers mentioned in the Popular Electronics article you scanned to your site. You said you've built a few pairs of those cabinets. Where would you rank them in the scheme of things as far as a new home for a pair of Knight 888HC drivers?

I have been offered the drivers but haven't bought yet. Looking for more info or someone to tell me to expect good things. Otherwise I'll probably pass. I suspect in the cabs noted above they would be a good match a number of tube amps.

4. RxDx

RxDx Speaker collector Subscriber

I built these, while in high school, when the magazine article first came out. I used a pair University Diffusicone 12" drivers in my cabinets. I don't remember what the other two pairs used.

I kept these well into adulthood, but I didn't have anything (like the AR-3as I use now) to compare them to. But I was quite happy with them.

I'm thinking some of the other folks who have commented will probably know better about the cabinet design. I'm still intrigued by the idea of bass extension offered by bass reflex or transmission line designs; I just haven't gotten back to actually cutting wood- yet. I'd love to see your results if you decide to proceed.

I don't know that you need to be wedded to the old Knights. If you can find something that more or less matches the specs at a better price, you're probably okay. They weren't a top of the line speaker at the time they were new. I already had the University drivers when I encountered the original magazine article.