DIY Painting MDF ?

Sportlark64

Dyna Mo Hummmmmm
Hey folks could I get away with priming/painting speaker cabinets with a 2 - part automotive finish without it attacking the MDF ? I'm not using lacquer based material . I'd be using Base/Clear system like TCP Global or Summit sells .

Yep - use an acrylic sealer first - which will also act as a primer. otherwise the mdf will just keep sucking up anything you put on it and it looks terrible.

Thanks !!! I had googled that several times and got "info" from way-out in left field . I found one last night where people were using Lacquer Based paints . I figured if it can take that stuff , it should be able to take a Polyurethane "2-stage" no worries . After reading your replies that is going to be my direction . Now I just need to go get my MDF in town (65 mile roundtrip) . The 3/4" MDF is $32.00 a sheet and I'll get two and start the project . It may be awhile , but I plan on Walnut Veneer / Oak 1/4 Round and a High Gloss Black from TCP Global or Summit (There is a Summit near Reno) that should be excellent ! I'm going to attempt to model mine similar to "Von Schweikert VR-8's" This is going to be a true test of my "meddle" and equipment . I need to get some help on "Time Alignment" and Venting the Bass Enclosure . Hope you all have a safe and conflict free Thanksgiving !
Steve

Back
Top Bottom