I was looking into making a simple preamp I considered the Pass B1 Buffer but was worried if it would have enough gain. I decided to make one out of parts I had and make it as simple as possible. I used a pretty standard design which I found on Rod Elliot's site, I simplified it greatly so now it has few parts and only one film cap in it, the opamp I used is a AD823. I etched a PCB and assembled it and tested it out, surprisingly it worked first time. It has too much gain, I am going to change out the 100k resistor in the feedback loop to a lower value which should take care of that. I hooked it up between my phono stage and the main amp inputs of my Yamaha CR-1020 and then did a comparison with the Yammy using it's preamp. The bass is much more extended for a start the sound being more full bodied and open it should improve once it burns in as I used a 2.2uf Panasonic ECW-F polypropylene which may open more up after some hours. Initially it sounds much better than the pre in the Yamaha, the acid test is going to be when I try it in my main setup and put it up against my Yamaha C4 but the way it sounds now it might just be better.