DLNA troubles

Could it be there is a power saving feature on the NAS causing it to shut down? I have heard that the Western Digital NAS has this issue where they shut down and fail to wake up. With those there is an easy fix, just switch the power saving feature off. I have my Seagate NAS set to shut down after 45 minutes of inactivity, but it always wakes up and plays whenever I start JRiver.

But he also says "I also stream iTunes from my Mac using Serviio over wifi. This stream also comes and goes." This has nothing to do with the NAS, right?

Hm. I wasn't assuming the Mac was streaming over wireless, but rather that Serviio was a control app that runs over wireless. But I haven't known the Mac universe well since around System 7.

My money is on the NAS - but as I reread the thread, it sounds as if the NAS may have been bought to address the underlying problem - and if so, I think that points to the DAC in the receiver. The contribution from the wifi in the NAS setup ought to be nil Once a playlist is queued up, it ought to just keep playing (assuming the yamaha control app is really doing DLNA.) The setup with the macbook and Serviio doesn't seem to involve the same hardware or software at all.

So the problem persists, and the one constant is the networked receiver...

Any way to bypass the network input on the receiver - maybe stream to a disc player that's on the network, and listen to its analog output through the receiver?

Perhaps I should clarify the system. We have telco DSL router (Aimtec) that has 1x WAN and 4x LAN ports as well as wifi 802.11g/n. NAS is plugged directly into one of the router's LAN ports. Another of those LAN ports runs to a switch in the basement which has a run to the MP as well as my wife's office.

MacBook serves iTunes via wifi - Serviio is a DLNA streaming app running on the MacBook.

We don't have issues with lag on any devices regardless of how many of us are hogging the signal.

The NAS was bought more to address backup and to be a home-based cloud, as well as be a Time Machine repository for mine and my wife's Macs (hence two disks in RAID1). Prior to that I was using a single disk Toshiba Canvio just to stream audio. I'd hoped it was also the weak point in the system, but it has not been the case.

Last edited:
"run to the MP"

I don't know for sure what MP means here.

If it means network player, I looked at the spec sheet, and I think you may be locking it up -- "You may face sound skipping errors by some high compressed FLAC files (192,176.4kHz / 24bit")

https://europe.yamaha.com/en/products/audio_visual/hifi_components/np-s2000/specs.html#product-tabs

Is the firmware fully up-to-date? sometimes that helps, but you might want to see if the player locks up predictably with high bitrate files.

the release notes on the firmware seem to call out your problem -- "This firmware improves content browsing stability of NETWORK PLAYER CONTROLLER when using a certain NAS drive."

Also, see if an s-video cable can be connected to a monitor and the service port. the picture of that looks like it may be s-video and if so, see if it shows anything. if so, leave it hooked up and try locking up playback - you may find a good error dump.

Some dlna servers can be told to down sample flac. you may want to see if that's an option, or replace the yammie with a device that is able to deal with higher bitrates.

Last edited:
Yes, MP means Media Player. And no, it never 'skips' whilst playing, nor does it 'lock up'. There have been instances when I lose the abilitiy to control by the app but the player keeps on trucking. When I can get the iPhone app(s) to show the music I can select and play files without issue. Appreciate the research for sure though - I'l double check the FW level is current*.

*edit: on V3.05, so current.

**edit 2: I can always access the internet radio source regardless of whether I can access the server

Last edited:
That's great that this is a much less severe issue than I'd thought. You could try getting a Fire tablet for 50 bucks and running Bubble UPnP on it. The apple dlna apps have uniformly failed to impress me.

the manual for that player strongly recommends using Twonky as the dlna server; their app may play better with twonky than anything else. I'll bet that if you ask for support, they may start with "twonky is best"

Good idea on the Fire tablet, I'll keep it in mind. Ministry of Sound seems to work a bit better than the Yammy app, at least today.

I'm all about the Twonky already. Fully twonked.

To the original poster's question, I'm not sure if this will help but I read somewhere that there are different implementations of DLNA so not all devices will play well with each other, even though this is the point of DLNA. Case & point I have a media server which is WIRED that has trouble streaming to a Sony TV which is WIRED and should see my server via DLNA. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. Sometimes rebooting TV fixes it for a few weeks and then POOF the TV can't see the server and another reboot is required. Meanwhile XBOX and other devices have no issues with the DLNA.

Back
Top Bottom