Do I have to sign off the tube forum for this?

airtime

I've had this SS NAD C275BEE power amp for about 8-10 years. However I was unable to find the right combination of preamps, cables, etc... So in the closet it usually sat until I got bored and would have another go at it.

Well, with some new cables and a long story I'm not going to go into I finally found the right combination. NOW I understand what and how a good SS stereo sounds like.

Maybe I'll keep my tube forum ID a little longer because I am using a CJ tubed preamp with the NAD. I'm not selling the tubes here but what I am pointing out is that I've never really heard a GOOD SS stereo.

I just enjoy playing with my toys and look forward to the cooler weather when I can roll my VTA ST-70 back in the rack.

Well with a tube pre and living in Az I think we can overlook this small slip, just till the summer is over.

Be sure to tell us your thoughts when your VTA70 returns though. ;)

I had my Trio KA6004 out for some rehab work a while back. I liked the way I got instant sound, but it did give me more tinnitus, whereas my tube gear never does that.

Well with a tube pre and living in Az I think we can overlook this small slip, just till the summer is over.

Be sure to tell us your thoughts when your VTA70 returns though. ;)

I had my Trio KA6004 out for some rehab work a while back. I liked the way I got instant sound, but it did give me more tinnitus, whereas my tube gear never does that.
I have noticed that I can only listen to SS (the NAD and not so much the Marantz250M) gear within a limited volume range. Too high a level and I get listening fatigue very quickly. Normally this time of year when the temps start hitting 105+ degrees I use my Sherwood S-5000. But that is sitting in the garage awaiting a minor noisy tube repair. That is the real reason the NAD was even being used again.

I've had this SS NAD C275BEE power amp for about 8-10 years. However I was unable to find the right combination of preamps, cables, etc... So in the closet it usually sat until I got bored and would have another go at it.

Well, with some new cables and a long story I'm not going to go into I finally found the right combination. NOW I understand what and how a good SS stereo sounds like.

Maybe I'll keep my tube forum ID a little longer because I am using a CJ tubed preamp with the NAD. I'm not selling the tubes here but what I am pointing out is that I've never really heard a GOOD SS stereo.

I just enjoy playing with my toys and look forward to the cooler weather when I can roll my VTA ST-70 back in the rack.

The tube forum, so far as I know, is for people to discuss tubes when they want to... It's an amplifier, not an ideology, transistors are great too.

What I want to read about is the third option, someone reviving the magnetic amplifier, I haven't heard anything about those lately!

Magnetic? or Switching power supplies? Magnetic was coined by Bob Carver as was many of his circuit designs with hyped names.

I suspect there are a number of people here who swing both ways. So to speak. :biggrin:

I wish more people made their own tubes from scratch, though. And why are there so few DIY capacitor winders? Just think of the esoteric possibilities. I'm currently pounding out tin foil from 125 year old tin ceiling tiles, for authenticity and that vintage sound. I'll be travelling to Mongolia to mine some proper mica sheets like they did in the old days.

Magnetic? or Switching power supplies? Magnetic was coined by Bob Carver as was many of his circuit designs with hyped names.

Not the Carver stuff, that was a transistor amp with a fancy name, but the third type of amplifier, which is not solid state, or tube driven. It's truly esoteric stuff, not many have been made, not a lot of info on them. I don't think it's ever been fully explored or developed.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnetic_amplifier

http://sparkbangbuzz.com/mag-audio-amp/mag-audio-amp.htm

http://www.nutsvolts.com/magazine/article/the_magnetic_amplifier

Back
Top Bottom