Do I need a DAC?

FWIW, I have a Squeezebox Touch, and I am satisfied with the internal DAC.

However, I have listened to the unit when it was run through a Valab TeraDak, and it sounded better - it was excellent. If you can afford to get a DAC, do so. If not, the SB Touch has a nice enough on-board DAC that you'll still be happy.

FWIW, I have a Squeezebox Touch, and I am satisfied with the internal DAC.

However, I have listened to the unit when it was run through a Valab TeraDak, and it sounded better - it was excellent. If you can afford to get a DAC, do so. If not, the SB Touch has a nice enough on-board DAC that you'll still be happy.
Thanks Saggy, I have recently purchased an I-pod touch and continue to have it plugged into the aux. input via a 3.5 to rca cable adaptor. I was hoping to find a method to have a remote control that would allow me to adjust the volume, changes tracks and playlists remotely without losing any SQ, but if I understand the responses so far, that may not be possible.

IPOD is unfortunately a terrible way to listen to music. The internal DAC is the cheapest possible way to get analog out of the IPOD. Even if you get digital out the IPOD flattens everything it touches. I used to use an IPOD classic for my car and workshop. Obviously its very convenient to haul around all your albums. But the sound is awful. I went with thumbdrives instead. I have a Yamaha CD player in my workshop that allows me the menu etc and its interal DAC is way better (not top notch but listenable). The car is never going to sound great but thumb drives are better there too. In the living room I use an Oppo to steam digital from my network.

For home listening I use a Hegel HD12 DAC that sounds great. Tried many DACs that I couldnt live with until the Hegel came along.

IPOD is unfortunately a terrible way to listen to music. The internal DAC is the cheapest possible way to get analog out of the IPOD. Even if you get digital out the IPOD flattens everything it touches. I used to use an IPOD classic for my car and workshop. Obviously its very convenient to haul around all your albums. But the sound is awful. I went with thumbdrives instead. I have a Yamaha CD player in my workshop that allows me the menu etc and its interal DAC is way better (not top notch but listenable). The car is never going to sound great but thumb drives are better there too. In the living room I use an Oppo to steam digital from my network.

For home listening I use a Hegel HD12 DAC that sounds great. Tried many DACs that I couldnt live with until the Hegel came along.
Hi Yamahaha, I appreciate that insight. Do you mind me asking what model Yamaha CD player you are using? What do you plug your thumb drive into, the CD player?
Thanks.

Its the CD-S300 CD Player. There is USB on the front you can plug thumb drives/hard drives into AND it even works with your IPOD. Simply plug the usb end of your Ipod cable into the slot and use the Yamahas internal DAC. You can use the Ipod's menu or use the Yamaha menu. Thats why I bought it because totally IPOD compatible. I dont know if they still are as Apple was demanding huge license fees. Mine is a few years old. Very nice CD player for 3 bills. Dont know how it compares to my main system though as its been in the workshop since day 1.

Its the CD-S300 CD Player. There is USB on the front you can plug thumb drives/hard drives into AND it even works with your IPOD. Simply plug the usb end of your Ipod cable into the slot and use the Yamahas internal DAC. You can use the Ipod's menu or use the Yamaha menu. Thats why I bought it because totally IPOD compatible. I dont know if they still are as Apple was demanding huge license fees. Mine is a few years old. Very nice CD player for 3 bills. Dont know how it compares to my main system though as its been in the workshop since day 1.
Thanks for that information, I will look into those.

Apple TV Gen 3 is best way. It will stream your itunes files lossless from icloud nomatter what resolution.to a Toslink optical to a standalone DAC. You get all the album art on TV. sound is way better. I finally let my wife play her itunes again. iphone or itunes won't stream lossless from iCloud

Last edited:
I love my Squeezebox system. I run Logitech Media server on a Raspberry Pi (using Max2Play) and have all my music on a hard drive connected to the Pi. Music (mostly lossless FLAC) streams wirelessly to a Squeezebox Classic hooked up to my amp. I have a DAC between the Squeezebox and my amp but as was mentioned, the Squeezeboxes have pretty good on board DACs as well.
So all you need is a Raspberry Pi (around 40 bucks) and some type of Squeezebox. The Touches are expensive on the used market but look for a Classic or a Duet... should be able to find one for 150 or so.
Volume and song selection is done via an app on your phone... easy peasy and sounding breezy!

(And Sofaking...I was a total newbie when I started figuring this all out too... it's all good!)

I love my Squeezebox system. I run Logitech Media server on a Raspberry Pi (using Max2Play) and have all my music on a hard drive connected to the Pi. Music (mostly lossless FLAC) streams wirelessly to a Squeezebox Classic hooked up to my amp. I have a DAC between the Squeezebox and my amp but as was mentioned, the Squeezeboxes have pretty good on board DACs as well.
So all you need is a Raspberry Pi around 40 bucks) and some type of Squeezebox. The Touches are expensive on the used market but look for a Classic or a Duet... should be able to find one for 150 or so.
Volume and song selection is done via an app on your phone... easy peasy and sounding breezy!

where is the best place to find a Pi? I'm thinking of taking the plunge.

Instead of a Pi, used Squeezebox for $150, and an external DAC I'd probably just get something like a Yamaha WXC-50 and be done with it.

You make a good point... that thing looks pretty cool!

It does, the only downside you're at Yamaha's mercy to provide timely software updates should any integration with a third party service like Spotify stop working. Also missing a USB or Coax digital input for parity with standalone DACs, but at least it has optical.

Back
Top Bottom