Do some audiophiles really prefer flat frequency response?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've read that some audio purists frown on tone controls and equalization. I've tried to listen to music with a flat response and to me it just sounds awful. Transistor radio-like. It's been proven scientifically that some frequencies are easier heard than others to the human ear. So then why would anyone choose a level graph over something that really sounds good? Especially if you have good equipment that can really make it come to life. I'd love to hear from the purists and anyone with your thoughts on this. .... Sam

Your question assumes unintentionally that hearing is universally the same across all humans, even healthy humans. It is NOT. That is why people have a preference for one speaker brand or model over another, have the tone controls on or off or configured differently. That is why some people prefer ruler flat.

Your question assumes unintentionally that hearing is universally the same across all humans, even healthy humans. It is NOT. That is why people have a preference for one speaker brand or model over another, have the tone controls on or off or configured differently. That is why some people prefer ruler flat.
And this is what bothers me. All of this flat stuff is based off of the various studies from Toole and the NRCC if I'm correct. Now someone out there probably has the papers, but I've never seen the exact numbers when it comes to the preference of a flat speaker. I'm not saying the studies are in any way flawed. What I WOULD say is that subjectivity sort of kills chasing the dragon. If there isn't a quantifiable goal, it gets murky as to what a person should shoot for. Or at least to those out there who yardstick to figure out what they are supposed to like. Which I know comes off as harsh, but it seems if you put 10 engineers and 10 artists in a room nobody can ever agree on anything.

it gets murky as to what a person should shoot for

What sounds good to them? :dunno:

This thread has pretty much been "run it however you like it". I used to play with tone controls and EQ's until about 6 yrs ago, I would find myself adjusting for almost every song if I was sitting for critical listening, that shit got old! I missed the exaggerated high and lows for maybe a week, haven't look back since.

:beatnik:

I'm glad there is such a thing as AK. I started my internet audio journey with the audiophile section of reddit. If you haven't been, I'd suggest not going there. Some decent info, but it can be a really toxic community when it comes to objective v subjective.

I'm glad there is such a thing as AK. I started my internet audio journey with the audiophile section of reddit. If you haven't been, I'd suggest not going there. Some decent info, but it can be a really toxic community when it comes to objective v subjective.

One of the reasons I don't really go to Head-Fi anymore.

All of this flat stuff is based off of the various studies from Toole and the NRCC if I'm correct.
National Republican Congressional Committee? No politics here, sir! ;)

I think flat frequency response has been an assumed design goal since the start of sound reproduction. Even when intentionally deviating from flat for the purposes of longer playing time and noise reduction, such as RIAA phonograph encoding, the goal was always to return to flat response by compensation during playback.

I can envision little millennium heads exploding when I try to have a discussion over there. A lot less people get butt hurt here IMHO.

In accord with this. People on AK seem more level headed and sensitive to other's biases.

There always will be polarization in any group, and with the number on board here, it climbs exponentially, eh?

Q

If your objective is audio as close to source as is possible, remember that anything added in the signal path has a cumulative effect on noise and distortion.

If your objective is audio as close to source as is possible, remember that anything added in the signal path has a cumulative effect on noise and distortion.

Tone controls are a plus for some of those recordings that are unmitigated crap detailed to the point of etching glass. Also good for eliminating excess bass where some hooligan made a lousy artistic choice. I may like the song just fine, but if the artist was deaf and insisted upon messing it up in the mix, I want over-ride. I don't mind not having them, but I'm not refusing good gear that has tone controls.

I advocate having a room/system that's as close to neutral/flat as possible before you start tweaking. After that, use an eq or tone controls to your heart's content if that's what you want to do.

You need a neutral base point to start with.

I advocate having a room/system that's as close to neutral/flat as possible before you start tweaking. After that, use an eq or tone controls to your heart's content if that's what you want to do.

You need a neutral base point to start with.
Thanks for that statement. I think I actually laughed out loud! NEUTRAL, on a forum, online, one could only hope.

And this is what bothers me. All of this flat stuff is based off of the various studies from Toole and the NRCC if I'm correct. Now someone out there probably has the papers, but I've never seen the exact numbers when it comes to the preference of a flat speaker. I'm not saying the studies are in any way flawed. What I WOULD say is that subjectivity sort of kills chasing the dragon. If there isn't a quantifiable goal, it gets murky as to what a person should shoot for. Or at least to those out there who yardstick to figure out what they are supposed to like. Which I know comes off as harsh, but it seems if you put 10 engineers and 10 artists in a room nobody can ever agree on anything.

The idea is that everyone has the same baseline.
A violin sounds like a violin in real life. Doesn't matter how an indivduum hears it, it's "that violin" for everyone.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom