Do you connect to the internet via a wireless connection?

zenith2134

Addicted Member
Wired or Wireless. (Dialup/Ethernet/LAN vs. WiFi/WiMax/satellite services)

I use both personally. Thought this would be an interesting poll.

Wireless. Apple airport express g. Lets me stream music from my Macbook to my stereo wirelessly (although I prefer to use my turntable or CDs), lets me send documents to my printer wirelessly. Even though wireless g is slower than n, I've plugged directly into my cable modem via ethernet and haven't discerned any difference whatsoever. Next step is to get the Apple bluetooth keyboard and mouse. Then I can hook the Macbook to my LCD TV, close the lid, and use the keyboard and mouse from the sofa (also the bed... small apartment!), the kitchen (from where I can see the TV).

Wired or Wireless. (Dialup/Ethernet/LAN vs. WiFi/WiMax/satellite services)

I use both personally. Thought this would be an interesting poll.

Both. From home going through Comcast, wired when at the docking station and wireless when roaming around the house. When on the road, primarily wireless.

bs

Both. Laptops are wireless, multiple servers are wired. TiVos (more servers, sort of) and a shared printer will be wired soon.

je

The poll is only available to members with the status of 'subscriber', IIRC.

The thread can still carry on regardless, IMO. I use the AirPort Express 802.11g which feeds the three Mac laptops in my house. My PC (a older Dell Pentium IV running Windows XP) connects via ethernet.

On both the wired and wireless, I see download speeds of 1.5Mbps on occasion, but the norm is 500 or so. Upload speeds are much less, one of the downsides to having cable internet, as I understand it. FWIW, my cable internet is through Time Warner of NYC's Queens system, the service name is called RoadRunner. We also have VOIP phone service through their modem. Works good enough. The net service is better than the DTV and phone, IMHO.

Cable 10mg don't use wireless but I have that capability if someone visits. WAVE BROADBAND small company excellent service.

My house is both wired and wireless. Desktops are hard-wired, laptops are wireless. All broadband. Works well.

The poll is only available to members with the status of 'subscriber'.
Not true, AFAIK. The poll thing has been around since way before there was any such thing as an AK "subscriber". I'm pretty sure anyone can do a poll. But...
I cannot test this either, but my recollection is that AK Admins changed the permissions with regards to polls around the time when they introduced the Subscriber model so that only Subscribers can create them...but I may be wrong, too!

Before Subscribers, anyone could create a poll.

I use both. Wired for my main computer and wireless for my laptops and other computers.
-Tony

I have 4 PC's in my house, one is direct connected to the wireless router - the other three are wireless connected - the main ISP connection is Cable 2Mbps.

My ISP has just announced domestic 50Mbps availability - but at a price :yikes:

John

Last edited:
Verizon DSL and a wired router feeding two PCs. You couldn't pay me to use wireless.

Update: God, I feel like a total tool now. Mom got a Toshiba laptop, and I set up a wireless router for her. With WPA2 encryption and MAC address filtering, the combo of laptop portability + security + wireless convenience + DSL speed absolutely rocks.

When someone passes me the dish of crow, please pass the salt.

Last edited:
Both.

Wired the house around 2001 with full 10/100 ethernet with DSL and had up to 6 computers running on it (my desktop, wife's desktop, both boy's had desktops and 2 gaming computers for guests). In 2004, added wireless B capability which will be changed shortly for G. Added 4 laptops to the system, one each for the boys and Lessa, and me!

Now pared down to 3 desktops and 2 laptops most of the time, and the boys bring theirs when they visit. Still do the occasional LAN party for them.

Using mostly Linksys DSL/wireless routers on 3.0 Mb/s DSL with additional Netgear switches or hubs at wired nodes. Used to build my own computers but have standardized on Dell 8400/2400 Desktops and Dell laptops of various vintages, both new and used.

Regards,

Bart

Back
Top Bottom